Exciting News

Old November 4th 05, 11:07 PM
Sue H

Default Exciting News

I'd love a list of people Ebay has booted and the reasons why.... they
should publicize it.

On 4 Nov 2005 14:01:59 -0800, "barefoot"
wrote:

oh no...i'm totally for your point of view...i think something's gotten
askew in the argument...that's not what i'm doing at all...what i'm
saying is that you yourself should allow the ridicule that you yourself
has done...without allowing ANYONE to view your own auctions, you are
basically hiding the same way everyone else does...
i honestly have no reputation for anything bad...but in the same way, i
get the ridiculer because i do the exact same thing you are doing...a
few years ago, i was willing to include EVERY person on ebay that i
knew and pretty much be a tattle tale..but i got the threats and it's
where all the ill will towards me went...no one ever went on the record
here to say that my account with ebay was re instated quite some time
ago. but instead i got the rips and the lies...
so be the crusader you want to be...but do you get your autographs
yourself, or are you selling someone else's stuff...because if you are,
chances are, you are selling fakes yourself...and you don't allow any
one who's gotten the same people you sell, to judge your own stuff . as
a result, you try to keep yourself from the same ridicule that you
yourself is placing on others...so you call out bad people, that's
excellent...where can you base your opinions? do you get stuff
yourself? have you actually seen people sign...
i know you are right...there are plenty of people doing exactly what
you say...but who's to say that one of those people aren't selling to
you...
all's i'm asking is that you place your head on the chopping block
too...keep yourself off your high horse and bring yourself in to a
posistion to be counted as an expert...don't hide...put yourself right
out there...it's what separates autographworld from the countless other
people who do bad business...what they do is stick their neck outthere
and point out the bad people...they let you know that they said
it...they don't hide AND want the accolades....and that's all i'm
asking you to do...
mike

Old November 4th 05, 11:10 PM
Auto Cop

Thank you for your input, Sue. I completely agree and we are trying to get
eBay to do that, or at least allow us to do that. I think they'll allow us
to publicize booted sellers but probably not reprimanded sellers. eBay execs
are currently discussing the issue and hopefully we'll hear back from them
soon.

Old November 5th 05, 12:00 AM
Auto Cop

Sue,

Of course, all of the points you raise have been discussed, debated,
considered and accounted for. For the record, it is indeed impossible to
have 20, 30 of the same mega-stars week in and week out and sell them at
pennies on the dollar. If you look at the sellers who are doing that, you'll
also clearly see that those items don't match any established exemplars.
Nothing will be removed without overwhelming proof that it's bad.

I also understand that some of these measures have been implemented in other
categories (I believe coins and stamps are two of them).

"Sue H" wrote in message
Although on surface it seems a good thing (I am all for stomping out
forgers); we are treading on difficult territory. One must be CERTAIN
they are fakes and have proof. That's why Ebay is reluctant to deal
with this area in the first place. They are opening themselves up, as
are you...

Just because someone sells 30 of something doesn't mean it's fake.
Probably is but you have to PROVE it.

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:59:25 GMT, "Auto Cop"
wrote:

Hi Gang,

Just wanted to share some news that I hope you'll all enjoy. I am a fairly
large, long-time autograph dealer (mainly sports) and we have been selling
on eBay for quite some time. As you all know, the amount of forgeries on
eBay is obsene and we get emails all the time from collectors who have
been
burned by buying bad autographs on eBay.

We (myself and some other reputable sellers) have been lobbying eBay for a
long, long time to put some things in place to address this problem, but
up
till now, our efforts have been mostly futile.

Well, due a string of circumstances (which I can't go into at this point)
times they are a changin' and eBay has done a complete 180. In the last
two
days, eBay has suspended two of the worst offenders and has canceled the
listings of several others. This is the tip of the iceberg... there is
much
more to come.

Our strategy all along has been to work with eBay on this; not shout at
them. As a result, we have developed some great relationships with some
influential people within eBay; therefore, I want to be careful what I
disclose here. Also, due to a variety of factors (I'm sure you all
understand what I mean), those of us involved in this prefer to keep our
own
names, etc. private.

However, I'd like to keep the "autograph community" updated on the
progress
we're making. I've asked eBay for permission to post the usernames of the
sellers who have been suspended or reprimanded by eBay. I've also asked
for
permission to reveal some of the other changes that are in the works
and/or
under consideration.

So far, I haven't received that permission so I'll honor that. If/When I
get
it, I'll share more. In the meantime, if you guys see egregious examples
of
sports autograph forgeries or forgers on eBay, please feel free to post
them
and we will make sure they are forwarded on for review. We hope to
eventually convince eBay to expand some of the upcoming changes into the
entertainment autograph section as well, but for now, our focus is on the
sports category.

Thanks, Guys, and Happy Collecting!

Old November 5th 05, 12:04 AM
Gummby3

It's about time that the Powers That Be at Ebay were slapped awake. From
what you've reported though, it sounds like you have woke up the beast.
Whether they are going to stand up completely to their promise to clean
house and disregard the all mighty buck, that is yet to be seen. lol I
applaud the steps that you are helping to get in motion. Keep up the great
work and maybe Ebay will be worth buying from again without 7 to 1 odds of
getting burned by some jerk with a Sharpie fetish and too much time on
his/her hands. :-)

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

"Auto Cop" wrote in message
Mike,

O.K., so I'm a coward. Fine... your reputation precedes you so I'm really
not concerned what you think regardless of your silly, rambling screed.

If you have a problem with eBay weeding out autograph forgers then I

think
it's you that has the problem. It's not me that will be making the

decisions
about who is suspended or reprimanded so your attempt to make this about

me
makes no sense. Unfortunately, at this point, I'm not at liberty to go

into
how those decisions will be made.

Would I personally benefit from the expulsion of autograph forgers? Yes,

of
course. I have a wife and three kids to support and I'm tired of having to
try to compete with forgers. And to be completely honest, that's part of

my
agenda. The rest of my agenda includes the fact that I receive many, many
emails from people who have made investments in autographs only to find

out
later that they were ripped off. These people range from aggravated to
distraught. I feel deeply for these people... I hate seeing anyone get
ripped off.

So Mike, you can bomb-throw all you want. I'm not going to waste my

precious
time replying to any more of your nonsense. I simply came here to report
that, after much hard work, eBay has finally been convinced to tackle the
forgery problem and they want as much community input as possible

regarding
who the bad sellers are. We're not talking about the hobby seller who
occassionally, unwittingly sells a bad autograph. We're talking about
ridding eBay of Vinnie who sits in the back room with a Sharpie forging
hundreds of autographs every day. Again, if you can't support that, then

you
have the problem. Period. This isn't a witch hunt... it's a garbage
collection.

For those of you who think it's a good thing that eBay is finally

addressing
this, we'd love to hear your comments and suggestions. If you don't think
it's a good thing, we'd love to hear from you, too. All I ask is that you
be civil.

Old November 5th 05, 12:06 AM
barefoot

again, i'm not discounting his measures...in fact, he's preaching to
the choir on this one...all i'm saying is that he should let HIS stuff
be stood up and accounted for...
there are plenty of people out there seing fake stuff that don't know
it, and fight hard like he's claiming to do...only to be unknowingly
selling bad stuff...his reluctance to state his seller name shows his
fear that HE may be brought out too...
and yes, i was suspended for unscrupuous behavior. but have been deemed
worthy by the ewbay community once again. and i sign my name to
everything, and i let anyone know exactly what i am selling...
and i wish that by people pulling bad stuff off ebay would actually
help (especially during the holidays since little kids buy autographs
for dad and dad buys that michael vick auto his kid wants and neither
knows they are buying fake stuff) that's besides the point...LET US
KNOW WHO YOU ARE, JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED!
mike

Old November 5th 05, 12:14 AM
Gummby3

Mike, I can see Auto Cop's point of view. He, as well as others in his
group, have stirred up a hornet's nest by pressing Ebay to, shocks of
shocks, police themselves and not just rake in the money from each and every
sale regardless of the contents. I would seriously think that AC's auctions
are being put under a microscope each time a new entry is put up for sale.
They don't want negative publicity by booting off forgers just to be conned
by a forger themselves (not saying AC is one in the least... just an
example). I don't see any reason for AC to "put his neck out" as he is
being watched by a hawk to make sure that he is up and up.

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net
Celebrity addresses the way they should be - free.

oups.com...

Old November 5th 05, 12:15 AM
Auto Cop

Mike,

O.K., first you annoyed me, then you angered me, now you're just making me
laugh. You can say whatever you want about me, I simply don't care. Again,
my stuff on eBay is just as available for scrutiny as every other sellers.
If I were a forger and if I were not a recognized expert in my field and if
I had any question about what I was selling I'd be an idiot to push for what
I've been pushing for the last 5+ years. If you're too thick to understand
that, I can't help you.

The people involved in this effort are some of the most respected people in
the field (dealers and collectors). For someone like you to cast aspersions
on this group is quite humorous.

Again, if you can't support the effort because you can't get your curiousity
satisfied, then that's your prerogative.

oups.com...

Old November 5th 05, 12:26 AM
Sue H

Unfortunately though, the almighty buck wins out most times;
especially if they've got a nice grey area to fall back upon and with
autographs, it's one of the most grey areas that sell... much like
forging a painting or selling knockoff bags or clothes but
representing them as real. And the problem with those, like
autographs, is without seeing them in person, it's often hard to tell.

Old November 5th 05, 12:33 AM
Sue H

I do agree that Ebay shouldn't necessarily by one person's or one
businesses "word" ... especially when they have no degree in
authentication. We need to be a community and to do that, I also
agree names should not be withheld. People need to work together.

On the surface, it DOES appear that one can go to Ebay, say this and
that is fake it COULD seem that they are dealers trying to boost
their own name. Also, Ebay DOES need to check into them. For
example, if I email them, I would most certainly like them to research
me. See who I am, what I do, talk to me to find out my motivations. I
would welcome that.

Goodness often wins out, but usually after eons of being opressed.

Old November 5th 05, 12:37 AM
Auto Cop

Sue, you're absolutely right. I don't want there to be any misconceptions...
this will not end autograph forgeries on eBay. It will, however, stop some
of the biggest abusers. It should help keep people from making a living at
it on eBay, at least.

Testing Rodney General Discussion 6 November 20th 04 10:36 AM
SUCCESSES & EXCITING NEWS!!! Celebrity Direct Entertainment - Cord G. Coslor Autographs 0 November 13th 04 09:01 PM
FS: Sunday newspaper comic sections from 1977-1984 John Zimmerman General 0 September 14th 03 12:26 AM
What is Exciting News ? High Plains Writer Coins 19 August 5th 03 12:25 AM
FS: Sunday newspaper comic sections 1977-1984 John Zimmerman General 0 July 13th 03 10:48 PM