looking for 8 track player with recorder and old blank 8 track tapes

Old February 19th 04, 12:41 AM
Chris

Default looking for 8 track player with recorder and old blank 8 track tapes

Looking for a working 8 track player with recorder and old blank 8
track tapes at a low, reasonable price.
Old February 19th 04, 04:57 PM
TC8trax

Chris wrote:
Looking for a working 8 track player with recorder and old blank 8
track tapes at a low, reasonable price.

Chris-

We all are! You're going to have to check the local thrift stores and
garage sales...THAT is where the price is right.

TC8trax
Old February 20th 04, 02:48 AM
trippin2-8track

TC8trax wrote in message ...
Chris wrote:
Looking for a working 8 track player with recorder and old blank 8
track tapes at a low, reasonable price.

Chris-

We all are! You're going to have to check the local thrift stores and
garage sales...THAT is where the price is right.

TC8trax

I have yet to find a quality 8-track deck at a yard sale. Tapes, yes.
But all decks from that venue were the crappy cheaply made ones here-
no high end component decks, ever. Never saw an Akai, Wolly, Pioneer,
Sony, H-K, etc. in my area- ever- in 20+ years. A local has a Wolly
supposedly but wants $175 for it- that's too high even for Ebay.

The closest thing to high end locally, was an Automatic Radio a guy
sold me- it didn't sound as good as my Akai 82D, and played too fast.
(not a yard or garage sale)

The best deck I ever found at local thrifts was Realistic TR-801 for
$15. It was no keeper, as it dragged tapes, but I bought it.
Thrifts/yard sales are becoming passe'/fading fast for 8-track.
(although 2 weeks ago I scored 200 tapes/3 players at SA- and 100
tapes/car player at flea mart. But that's another story...)

Yesterday, I got a Craig Pioneer 3302 recorder for free off the net-
albeit cracked wooden case in shipping.

Heads up, local SA clerk stated, they will not be selling 8-track
decks/tapes anymore. Does that mean, they are not accepting them as
donations, and/or will be dumpstering them ? Time will tell. The
format is now in the realm of a Polka 78rpm shellac record. Odd, as
many still ask for tapes/players at thrifts- while ebay demand
soldiers on. Goodwill execs view the format as unsightly junk, that
make the stores look bad. Newer thrifts look like a modern Walmart
inside, really well lit, bright, and clean. Most money made on
clothing- with most floor space. In the parking lot are Porsche,
Mercedes, Cadillacs, BMW's- those people are shopping at thrifts now.

Bottom line, the deck and tape supply locally is drying up. Had to
happen sooner or later.