No coins or stamps on "Antiques Roadshow"

Old August 9th 03, 12:45 PM
JSTONE9352

Default No coins or stamps on "Antiques Roadshow"

An article in Krause's new publication "A collectors guide to coins and stamps"
mentions that coins and stamps are never on the TV show "Antiques Roadshow"
The Antiques Roadshow website specifically state that coins and stamps are
not evaluated. They speculate that they are too small to show up well on TV
and too dependent on their condition for value and not always easily
identified.
You would also have to have someone that has extensive knowledge of a great
many coins and who could work without notes or a guidebook in front of them
while being filmed. (you never see anyone consult a guidebook on camera).

It would be quite a challenge for anyone to be evaluating an Unc. Morgan dollar
and try and explain how bag marks, luster and how the whole MS grading system
works in the approx. 3 minutes that most of the segments have in a
way that would make any sense to a novice viewer. I suspect most people would
be very confused and it would not be enlightening.

Another problem I think is that most people don't really think of coins and
stamps as antiques in the same sense that old furniture, paintings etc. are.

Coins and stamps might be considered too common and they don't want to
encourage people to bring in coffee cans of Lincoln cents to the Roadshow.

Old August 9th 03, 02:48 PM
ADVANSPEC

x-no-archive:yes

Stamps, Coins & Comic books usually wouldn't be featured because"
A - They are generally very easy to obtain value & info on..

B- They look for items "out of the ordinary", & the roadshow would quickly
fill up & overflow with people bringing in their 1936 Buffalo, "Superman # 463
from June 1971, an old cancelled 8 cent stamp..., the mercury dime they found
under the porch......
Old August 9th 03, 03:10 PM
Harv

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message
An article in Krause's new publication "A collectors guide to coins and

stamps"
mentions that coins and stamps are never on the TV show "Antiques

Roadshow"
The Antiques Roadshow website specifically state that coins and stamps are
not evaluated. They speculate that they are too small to show up well on

TV
and too dependent on their condition for value and not always easily
identified.

http://www.harvlaser.com/files/pics/...ns/bsmeter.gif

They film/tape this show in segments, over the course of days, and then edit
the segments together into a complete show. It'd be trivial for them to set
up a computer with a coin scope on it, appraise a whole bunch of coins for a
whole series of shows by projecting the image of a tiny object onto a big
monitor that would show up nicely on camera.

Are we supposed to believe that someone can haul in a piece of furniture or
gramma's jewelry or a painting or some other chatzkie and the appraiser has
never seen it before and immediately rattles off its complete history, the
year it was made, who made it, and what it's worth strictly from his
encyclopedic knowledge, and he can do it on the spot with no rehersal and no
research ahead of time?

Old August 9th 03, 04:49 PM
DFloyd

"Scottishmoney" wrote in
:

Well that is mostly true, but I have seen one, yes one coin on
Antiques Roadshow, and much to my obvious pleasure it was a Scottish
60 Shillings(equivalent to an English crown) from the reign of Charles
I which had been converted into a box. Unfortunately the coin had
been a very very nice piece, EF or so before it became a box. It's
value would have been greater had it not been so altered.

What do you mean by "Converted into a box"? Hollowed out?

Recently I saw an advert in my local paper for an Antiques appraisal
in Mt. Pleasant, where only smokers were invited. Apparently it was
sponsored by Basic Cigarettes or something. Great - smokey antiques.

Dave

Think of it as an experiment in accelerated aging! ;o)

Old August 9th 03, 05:57 PM
Fred

I would like to buy one of these "boxes". I find them very intruiging but I
do not know where to look. Does anyone have a clue?

Fred

"DFloyd" wrote in message
54.202...
"Scottishmoney" wrote in
:

Old August 10th 03, 01:13 AM
SF

"DFloyd" wrote ...
: "Scottishmoney" wrote in
: :
:
[...]

Hmm.. he may be talking about an Opium Coin? Opium box?

Not 100 % sure..

Sam F.

Old August 10th 03, 01:35 AM
DFloyd

"SF" wrote in news:bh42lq$u7tbl$1@ID-
199552.news.uni-berlin.de:

Hmm.. he may be talking about an Opium Coin? Opium box?

Not 100 % sure..

Sam F.

Probably right, someone posted link to a trade dollar one on ebay not too
long ago. Just wondering if it had been used as an inlay/attachment in
another type of box.
Old August 10th 03, 01:57 AM
SF

Yea, I seen that one too Dan..
Was kinda kewl..

Sam

"DFloyd" wrote ...
: "SF" wrote
:

Old August 17th 03, 07:03 AM
TomDeLorey

I suspect that the reason they won't do coins is that they have a well
established pricing structure, and it would be impossible for them to give
vastly-inflated, full-bore, retail-price-to-a- drunken-sailor-on-payday
"estimates" that make people go "ooh" and "aah." You notice that they never say
they would pay these prices for things, just that they migtht ask that if it
were in their own shop.
I have a map cut from a British atlas printed in 1834. They once estimated a
different page from the same edition at $500. Where, oh where, do I cash
in??????
MOO
Tom DeLorey
..