Opinions wanted buying gold bullion coins

Old August 12th 04, 04:37 AM
Roger

Default Opinions wanted buying gold bullion coins

An old, experienced collector
told me I should stay away from
gold bullion coins, paying no attention
to proofs or otherwise and buy only
American Eagles, preferably old, double-eagles.

In my mind, gold is gold, and if it climbs way
up...... I'd be the better off.

Any opinions appreciated -rj

Old August 12th 04, 05:12 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:37:12 -0700, "Roger"
wrote:

An old, experienced collector
told me I should stay away from
gold bullion coins, paying no attention
to proofs or otherwise and buy only
American Eagles, preferably old, double-eagles.

In my mind, gold is gold, and if it climbs way
up...... I'd be the better off.

Any opinions appreciated -rj

Why would you take advice from a "collector" if you want to invest?

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com
Old August 12th 04, 02:24 PM
Michael R

"Roger" wrote in message
An old, experienced collector
told me I should stay away from
gold bullion coins, paying no attention
to proofs or otherwise and buy only
American Eagles, preferably old, double-eagles.

In my mind, gold is gold, and if it climbs way
up...... I'd be the better off.

Any opinions appreciated -rj

Coins and metals may not be the best investment. Paying no interest, easy
to damage, lose or steal...You just have to hope it goes up enough to cover
the lost interest and storage. Maybe for a "small" part of a portfolio or
hedge against inflation? I do like, for semi-bullion buying, the old common
double eagles in a slab.

HTH
--
Michael R
ANA #173222

Old August 12th 04, 07:34 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:37:12 -0700, "Roger" is
alleged to have written:

An old, experienced collector
told me I should stay away from
gold bullion coins, paying no attention
to proofs or otherwise and buy only
American Eagles, preferably old, double-eagles.

In my mind, gold is gold, and if it climbs way
up...... I'd be the better off.

Any opinions appreciated -rj

My advice is to buy double eagles in AU or so. They will always have bullion
value and will have collector value as well. When gold goes down again, IMO
those will hold their value better. And they're much more interesting.

Modern eagles have the advantage of being almost cash. The first dealer you go
to may not be interested in your 1905 Double Eagle, but he'll almost always be
ready to buy you modern eagle at somewhat behind spot or sell you another one as
somewhat above spot.

Bruce

Old August 12th 04, 10:41 PM
A You

An old, experienced collector
told me I should stay away from
gold bullion coins, paying no attention
to proofs or otherwise and buy only
American Eagles, preferably old, double-eagles.
In my mind, gold is gold, and if it climbs way
up...... I'd be the better off.
Any opinions appreciated -rj

Double-eagles is a good idea.

Modern American Eagles are just bullion but might be more than bullion if
graded.

Current American Eagle gold proofs might be highly sought-after collectibles
in future years but that is hard to imagine with the design not changing. In
other words why seek a 1999 American Eagle gold proof when a 2025 American
Eagle gold proof could be bougth in the future ? In either case a premium is
deserved for being proof...