Precious Metals

Old November 16th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Default Precious Metals

What's going on with silver? Up $1 per oz right now from yesterday's
closing price. Gold is up $23 per oz too. Stock market is up too.

Jud - the intrinsic wonderer
Old November 16th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jud wrote:
What's going on with silver? Up $1 per oz right now from yesterday's
closing price. Gold is up $23 per oz too. Stock market is up too.

Jud - the intrinsic wonderer

Only the Shadow knows. But rest assured that, as soon I come to understand
all this, I will make it known bigtime. There will not be a charge for the
first ten people in line.

James the Huckster

Old November 16th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Jud wrote:

What's going on with silver? Up $1 per oz right now from yesterday's
closing price. Gold is up $23 per oz too. Stock market is up too.

Jud - the intrinsic wonderer

Only the Shadow knows. But rest assured that, as soon I come to
understand all this, I will make it known bigtime. There will not be a
charge for the first ten people in line.

James the Huckster

Hello

Below is the closing price from Bloomberg on Gold, Silver,
and Copper for Monday (11/16/09). WOW!

We have enough people stealing copper now as it is in
Phoenix. This will make it more tempting for people to
go though the abandon homes and commercial buildings.

This could be a good thing for the copper mines in Arizona
since some gold and silver are smelted out from copper ore.
Maybe more job openings.

FROM
http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/com.../cfutures.html

COPPER FUTURE (USD/lb.) $313.400

GOLD 100 OZ FUTR (USD/t oz.) $1139.900

SILVER FUTURE (USD/t oz.) $18.370

Old November 16th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:

Jud wrote:

[...]

Wow is right. I remember a time when copper was at about 35c an ounce, and
scavengers went around town ahead of the garbage truck scarfing it up from
the curb and stealing pole pigs.

But I bet a guy still can't get squat for aluminum cans. What?

James the Soda Guzzler

Old November 16th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Nov 16, 3:55*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

But I bet a guy still can't get squat for aluminum cans. *What?

James the Soda Guzzler

5¢ deposit! At least here and some other states. One thing that the
deposit has done is to keep the roads a little cleaner. I notice it
whenever I go to a state that doesn't collect the nickel.

Old November 16th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jud wrote:
On Nov 16, 3:55 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

But I bet a guy still can't get squat for aluminum cans. What?

James the Soda Guzzler

5¢ deposit! At least here and some other states. One thing that the
deposit has done is to keep the roads a little cleaner. I notice it
whenever I go to a state that doesn't collect the nickel.

If your state doesn't check them for provenance, I'll be collecting a
truckload from our roadsides and heading your way!

James the Opportunist

Old November 17th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Jud wrote:

[...]

I presume you meant 35¢ a POUND. Otherwise, you could get 35¢ for about a
dozen pennies.

Back in 1958, when copper was 35¢ a pound, I worked for a guy who I later
found out had been sneaking into a local scrap yard at night and stealing
copper to sell back to the same yard the next day. Meanwhile, I was selling
bait for him in a little shack by the river. I always wondered why he
dressed so much better than me. And smelled better, too. In 1958, you
could buy a nice meatball sub for lunch with the take from a pound of copper
wire clippings, so kids were always scouring the building construction sites
for goodies.

Old November 17th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Jud" wrote in message
What's going on with silver? Up $1 per oz right now from yesterday's
closing price. Gold is up $23 per oz too. Stock market is up too.

Jud - the intrinsic wonderer

Right when I was about to add some silver to my retirement portfolio this
week, the price jumps a buck! Hopefully the profit takers will drive it
back into the mid-$17 range later in the week. If silver at $17.50 can't
beat a comparable 1.99% APR CD over the next year, it ain't worth nothin'.

Old November 17th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jud wrote:

[...]

I sit corrected. I hate it when I type something and then sit back and have
doubts as to whether I am correct on the units.

Back in 1958, when copper was 35¢ a pound, I worked for a guy who I
later found out had been sneaking into a local scrap yard at night
and stealing copper to sell back to the same yard the next day. Meanwhile,
I was selling bait for him in a little shack by the river.
I always wondered why he dressed so much better than me. And smelled
better, too. In 1958, you could buy a nice meatball sub for lunch
with the take from a pound of copper wire clippings, so kids were
always scouring the building construction sites for goodies.

Wasn't it the greatest of fun, though? We'd unwind the copper from anything
with a transformer or motor in it and even tear old TVs apart for the little
wiring there was.

James the Ripper

Old November 17th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Jud wrote:

[...]

I'm glad I didn't live in your neighborhood. Did the power go off often?

Precious metals question Paul Ciszek Coins 10 April 22nd 09 09:30 PM
Go long on precious metals stonej Coins 0 May 20th 06 01:09 PM
Precious Metals Edmond Wollmann Coins 5 March 17th 05 05:43 AM
3/23/2004 precious metals Winde Walker Coins 11 March 26th 04 01:14 AM