Found Stamp collection

Old August 2nd 05, 02:59 AM

Default Found Stamp collection

I found a small stamp collection in my grandmothers attic. There are
about 2000 stamps from all over the world. Most of them are from the
US and many from England and other parts. I haven't found one that
dates past 1935. However, they are in a photo album. The glue from
the photo album makes it very difficult to remove them. Can someone
please give me some advice as to how I should remove them without
damage. Thanks..

Old August 2nd 05, 01:04 PM

I found a small stamp collection in my grandmothers attic. There are
about 2000 stamps from all over the world. Most of them are from the
US and many from England and other parts. I haven't found one that
dates past 1935. However, they are in a photo album. The glue from
the photo album makes it very difficult to remove them. Can someone
please give me some advice as to how I should remove them without
damage. Thanks..

If they're only lightly stuck, as when the original gum has got damp at
some time, you may be able to free them by flexing the album page or
carefully sliding a thin blade underneath.

If they have been deliberately stuck down, e.g. by licking the original
gum or using paste, and assuming that the album can be sacrificed,
you'll almost certainly have to soak them off. This is no problem if
they're used (postmarked) but if not, this will obviously remove the
gum which detracts from their value. It may be possible to get them off
using a sweat box, but you'll almost certainly damage the gum to some
extent in the process.

If soaking, watch out for coloured album pages whose ink runs (red ink
is the worst culprit), and very early stamps where the same applies.

If you're _really_ unlucky, and someone has used an insoluble glue,
you'll have to look for an organic liquid such as benzine to dissolve
it.

Google this group for details of sweat boxes, soaking, etc.

Chris

Old August 2nd 05, 06:31 PM
Zooklfuse

Thanks Chris!
This has proved well worth my time! I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Old August 2nd 05, 06:45 PM
Roger Smith

wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a small stamp collection in my grandmothers attic. There are
about 2000 stamps from all over the world. Most of them are from the
US and many from England and other parts. I haven't found one that
dates past 1935. However, they are in a photo album. The glue from
the photo album makes it very difficult to remove them. Can someone
please give me some advice as to how I should remove them without
damage. Thanks..

I suggest that you show the album to a dealer who should be willing to
advise whether it would be worthwhile bothering to remove the stamps. All
of the stamps might be so common that nobody would be interested in them if
they have been affixed by glue rather than by hinges. It would be a
different matter of course if you intended to continue with the collection
yourself and keep the items.

Regards, Roger

Old August 2nd 05, 11:14 PM
Rodney

| Is that album "magnetic", with many tiny horizontal glue stripes to
| hold snapshots in place?

This is what I thought of immediately, I often see this in car boot sales offerings
at the markets. Generally the stamps are irreparably damaged.
I'd take Roger's advice and take the album to a dealer to see if
there are any worth the effort of an attempted rescue.
You will find the glue in these albums inhabits the paper, and you
will see the horizontal lines of glue even after soaking.

Old August 2nd 05, 11:28 PM
bc92

In message ,
Rodney wrote:
Is that album "magnetic", with many tiny horizontal glue stripes to
hold snapshots in place?

This is what I thought of immediately, I often see this in car boot
sales offerings at the markets. Generally the stamps are irreparably
damaged.
I'd take Roger's advice and take the album to a dealer to see if
there are any worth the effort of an attempted rescue.
You will find the glue in these albums inhabits the paper, and you
will see the horizontal lines of glue even after soaking.

Arrgh ! This makes me sick. There is no limit to the injuries a man can
inflict upon honest valuable stamps.
At least, it is said women are more sensible. :-)

--
Best regards,
Bruno

Old August 3rd 05, 07:03 PM
Zooklfuse

Thanks to everyone that has helped with this simple question. I came
to a conclusion; I'm going to hold onto the collection and keep it the
way it is. I don't want to "demask" anything that my family has put
together. As ignorant as I am towards the stamp collection world I
would rather, if need be the case, have someone who understands the
cautionary implications dealing with stamps look at the collection
instead of my harmful hands. Thanks all!