Ping Rodney - Kerala doings

Old September 21st 09, 12:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Default Ping Rodney - Kerala doings

Not to keep the best to last, I have to confess that I've been digging
around in the Travancore from a junk lot from eBay, and came upon this
unlisted item from TravAnco

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...5invertedO.jpg

SG O45, with an unlisted inverted 'O' in the overprint; normal
alongside for comparison. One more item for you to add to the list of
stamps to find, I'm afraid, Rodney. Now, when I get Gibbons to list
it, I will be remembered by posterity for my contribution to
Travancore philately. Ah, how are the mighty fallen ...

The same mail brought this Cochin cover with a couple of those recess-
printed 1 Annas, SG O36 (and it's a big file, because I scanned it at
1200 dpi)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...SGO36cover.jpg

A number of other Cochin covers came with this one. I know it isn't
Travancore, but - surely? - it's the next best thing. If I find
anything more that migh tickle your fancy, I'll post it.

Tony
Old September 21st 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

No time to elaborate, Tony, busy at the moment.
No, I don't see the invert, I have lots similar,
can you elaborate

Lovely Cochin Cover there, very nice, do you translate the script
on covers?

Cheers

Old September 21st 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Sep 21, 9:13*am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
No time to elaborate, Tony, busy at the moment.
No, I don't see the invert, I have lots similar,
can you elaborate

Lovely Cochin Cover there, very nice, do you translate the script
on covers?

Cheers

Look at the thickness of the ring on the O in On.

Blair

Old September 21st 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Nope, that does nothing for me Blair,

If that is an invert, I am a monkey's uncle.
Obviously the OP needs more experience in the subtleties of Travancore.
Dealing with the lesser states, has taken the edge off his judgement

Old September 22nd 09, 08:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Rodney, the give-away is that 'O' falls below the line of the 'n',
instead of being aligned with it. I wouldn't be surprised if you have
plenty of them. They're not uncommon on many Travancore Service
stamps, but how common seems to vary widely. The formes must have
been dismantled or corrected many times.

Tony

Old September 22nd 09, 08:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Forgot: No I don't do Malayalam, Rodney. It stretches me to do
printed Devanagari, and stretches me to and beyond to do printed
Urdu. Others are ultra vires.

Old September 22nd 09, 09:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Common as flies, type "O8" official overprint.
No disrespect Tony, but you had better stay with your little nether states,
and leave Travancore up to the big boys.

Old September 22nd 09, 10:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

That's the big negative, in collecting India, Tony.
The social mirror of how people lived their lives, is lost, or
greatly reduced, by the inability to poke one's nose into their affairs.
For me, that is a big thrill of philately.
The saving grace, is the vast amounts of English records that exist
hidden amongst papers and books.
I was reading the examination reports of Thomas Francis Bourdillon (IIRC in Malayalam)
the other day, the gentleman who began Teak harvesting in Travancore in the 19th century.
He became the conservator of forests there later.
Fascinating to see and read of these gentlemen going to school, in what must have been a truly
marvelous time. Unspoilt forests Yay!

Old September 23rd 09, 08:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

I have to agree, Rodney. But I can at least claim I have enough other
languages buzzing around in my head, without adding to the swarm. I
suppose the North Indian languages might perhaps be possible, being
Indo-European, but I'm not even going to contemplate the Southern
languages, thank you.

And not as satisfactory, of course, but there are mountains of books
written in English on the subject - not all by native English-
speakers, either.