India query. Postal and Fiscal.

Old September 17th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default India query. Postal and Fiscal.

Is someone able to suggest the instances where
a stamp is cancelled both fiscally and postally please?

I have oodlies, and all I can think of is Telegraph?
Any others?
http://cjoint.com/data/jrbqJ77q8G.htm

Thanks.

Old September 17th 09, 08:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

I think the violet stamp is a company mark, either inadvertently
applied to the stamp, or deliberately as a security measure. Either
way, not a fiscal usage: that would surely be illegal.

Tony

Old September 17th 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Well there you go see
completely discombobulated.
I am glad that I asked.
Rodney.

Old September 17th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sep 16, 7:20�pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
Is someone able to suggest the instances where
a stamp is cancelled both fiscally and postally please?

I have oodlies, and all I can think of is Telegraph?
Any others?http://cjoint.com/data/jrbqJ77q8G.htm

Thanks.

It is probably a commercial overprint, used as a security measure to
prevent the stamp from being removed from the envelope before being
placed in the post. For information on commerical overprints and where
they were used see the website of the Commerical Overprint Society of
GB: http://www.cosgb.org/
Old September 18th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thank you very much, Rudy.
Your advice has caused me to re appraise a lot of my
saved duplicates.

I would argue the example as an "commercial overprint"
more precisely, I should imagine that would sit under "theft protection"

Prior to this, I had interpreted a lot of these markings as part of Registration markings.

In this example, I could imagine the LHS to possibly be a "commercial opt"
and the one on the RHS "theft protection"
http://cjoint.com/data/jsbQucekIN.htm

Cheers
Rodney.

Old September 18th 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Right-hand side definitely theft protection - in the same way you
often see 'Stamped' written across the stamps, to prevent the servants
from stealing the stamps on the way to the PO. Somewhere among my
Jammu & Kashmir covers, I have an extreme example of the same sort of
thing - around 50 small lines drawn close together tieing the stamp to
the cover all the way around.

Left hand side one, I don't know. However, many of these marks used
from India, and Singapore and the Straits, were forwarding agents
cachets, which often found their way onto stamps (possibly as an anti-
theft measure as well).

Tony
Old September 18th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Tony,

"Asia-translation"
Right-hand side definitely theft protection - in the same way you
often see 'Stamped' written across the stamps, to prevent the servants
from stealing the stamps on the way to the PO.

I've yet to see that one.
My early India Issues (East IndiaQV) show at least 33% of stamps marked
in some way or another, cross by nib, lines, signatures, and the like.
appears to be "de riguer" at that time.

Somewhere among my
Jammu & Kashmir covers, I have an extreme example of the same sort of
thing - around 50 small lines drawn close together tieing the stamp to
the cover all the way around.

I'd like to see that.

Old September 19th 09, 11:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Rodney, don't have any examples of 'Stamped' written across a British
Indian stamp (AFAIK), but your wish to see the Jammu & Kashmir cover
is my command:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ltiedcover.jpg

SG 126 tied to the cover by (I may have exaggerated the number of) pen
strokes, and Dogri which probably means something along the lines of
'If you steal this stamp, I'm going to jump through the screen and rip
your bloody arms off. And I will too'. Also tied by the usual
illegible Jammu & Kashmir barred numeral, and with the (as usual)
illegible, watery Jammu & Kashmir CDS. The front is a British Indian
½ Anna postal stationary cover, cancelled in transit at Sialkot July 6
1889, and addressed as the delivery CDS shows, to Amritsar

I found a few more, less impressive examples in the search - one with
only 12 or 15 pen strokes, and another even lazier with a mere cross
tieing the stamp; both on SG 126s on ½ Anna ps covers, but from
different correspondences, from the look of 'em. There are probably
still more examples hidden away among my SG 126 covers. If the topic
has fired your imagination, I'll get to work and scan them, too.

Tony

Old September 19th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

There is a commentary on community standards on that cover, Tony.
Trust and respect, a dwindling commodity,
It's like the abilty for random humans, to queue as they await service.
Only highly civilised groups do it.
I think the sender of that epistle was bordering on the pyschotic.

Interesting, but possibly for the wrong reasons,
a bit like crash covers, not my thing.

Old September 23rd 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Could it not also be a received mark from the company registry. I used
to work in a company where all incoming mail was "date-stamped" on
receipt before being dispatched on a very convoluted journey to the
appropriate department.

If a query was subsequently received about non-reply the s**t could
then be dumped upon the appropriate head!!

Malcolm