brag

Old March 4th 05, 03:46 AM
Printmat

Default brag

I'm just real happy about a book I bought at the Strand in NY last
weekend: a 1st of Robert A. Wilson's Modern Book Collecting, inscribed
to Eli Wilentz. Wilentz ran the 8th St. Bookstore (Bookshop?) for many
years, and like Wilson's Phoenix, it was a hotbed for bohemians and
Beats. Wilentz edited The Beat Scene anthology, and with his brother
Ted and Amiri Baraka, published the Totem Corinth books; Wilson let
mimeo mag publishers use the machine in the back room, and published
work by Snyder, Ginsberg, Ashbery, Corso and many others. I love having
this evidence of a warm association between two venerable downtown
bookmen (in every sense) on my shelf.

Bob Riedel
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat
http://www.biblio.com/bookstores/printmat.html

Old March 4th 05, 01:01 PM
Bob

"Printmat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm just real happy about a book I bought at the Strand in NY last
weekend: a 1st of Robert A. Wilson's Modern Book Collecting, inscribed
to Eli Wilentz. Wilentz ran the 8th St. Bookstore (Bookshop?) for many
years, and like Wilson's Phoenix, it was a hotbed for bohemians and
Beats. Wilentz edited The Beat Scene anthology, and with his brother
Ted and Amiri Baraka, published the Totem Corinth books; Wilson let
mimeo mag publishers use the machine in the back room, and published
work by Snyder, Ginsberg, Ashbery, Corso and many others. I love having
this evidence of a warm association between two venerable downtown
bookmen (in every sense) on my shelf.

Was it in the general stock or in the "rare books" room upstairs?
Over the years I've made a few good finds at the Strand but, in general, they
are very knowledgeable and getting a bargain is not easy.
But no trip to NYC is complete without a visit there.

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Old March 4th 05, 02:47 PM
Printmat

It was upstairs, in the books-about-books alley. It had been listed
online for several months, but just as a "signed/inscribed" copy with
no mention of Wilentz.

Bob

Brag Bookbank1 Books 0 June 8th 04 03:19 PM
Brag Bud Webster Books 5 May 22nd 04 10:34 PM
FOL sale report and a minor brag.... MindElec Books 0 April 25th 04 07:04 AM
Major Brag, Minor Brags, and Nothing to Brag About Jerry Morris Books 0 February 21st 04 02:55 PM
Brag & Thanks Doug McClure Books 0 January 25th 04 05:11 AM