One for the technically minded.

Old September 17th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default One for the technically minded.

A nice slogan from my collection, found in the dumpster.

A "Conurbation" cancellation....
http://cjoint.com/data/jrpz6rOfFk.htm

There's a story behind everything

Old September 17th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill[_7_]

rodney wrote:
A nice slogan from my collection, found in the dumpster.

A "Conurbation" cancellation....
http://cjoint.com/data/jrpz6rOfFk.htm

There's a story behind everything

I've seen inverted airplanes but not inverted years...

Bill
Old September 18th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Wow, well spotted Bill!
I had thought the 1 had been replaced inadvertently by a 9
now I see it is inverted.

What the!

Old September 23rd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Camborne-Redruth is not exactly a conurbation ( too small ! ). However
it was a local authority made up of two (more or less ) equally sized/
important towns - this in the time before ever larger local
authorities now in vogue - sometimes with extremely vague and
tenuously connected names.

I guess it was an early attempt to provide a name which would not
alienate any of the locals.

Talking about tenuous names my home area is now known as "Kirklees" -
a combination of the County Boroughs of Huddersfield and Dewsbury,
the boroughs of Batley and Spenborough, and the Urban Districts of
Heckmondwike and Mirfield, and various other bits and pieces.
Huddersfield was by far the largest, and in order not to upset those
of us in Dewsbury and other places Kirklees was chosen as the new
name. This is named after Kirklees Priory ( now a ruin ) allegedly the
death-place of one Robin,Earl of Huntingdon aka "Robin Hood". No-one
had ever heard of the place until it was chosen as the new name !

How nebulous is that?

malcolm

Old September 24th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Blair"
Ah! The former home of the murderous prioress, who villainously
did away with our dear Robin. Who while lying on his death bed,
managed to shoot an arrow 600 meters to the future site of his grave.
Some archer, than man.

Thanks to Errol Flynn for capturing a young boy's imagination....
and brickbats to Richard Greene for destroying that myth.
http://cjoint.com/data/jygl0qnTlT.htm