Day to day pen opinions

Old August 22nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Day to day pen opinions

On 2008-08-22, Bluesea wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen......
(skip my quoted text)
I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the
various colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of
the
capacity and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

I had not even heard of Kaweko - thanks for the link, and I will take a
look at some. BTW, the Sailors hold hardly any ink, with smallish
cartridges and an even smaller converter. (Just carry two!)

Yes, I have a Sailor 1911M. I like it a lot, but I don't consider it a
cheap
pen.

The naming conventions confuse me so much with the profit/1911
line from sailor. Not even sure what we are talking about.

I agree it is confusing. If you're not careful, you could get the wrong size
of pen. The ones I have are called "Sailor 1911 Profit", with 14K nibs. The
higher priced 1911s are 21K, and AFAIK a lot bigger than I like.

The 14K ones aren't "cheap" but they are great value for money. 50-60$ US is
about average.The nib on the medium one feels as good as a more expensive
big name like Montblanc or Pelikan.

Old August 22nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...

I've got a nice MontBlanc that I use at home, but since it's a
discontinued model, I don't like to risk losing it. I own a couple of the
Phileas. It is great value for money, with a smooth nib and generous
flow. There is something "off" about the shape though; it feels less than
sure-footed. Too wide? Funny balance?

The brass half-lining makes it disturbingly top-heavy for me. I later got
the Kultur which is balanced better although it's not as attractive.

I hardly use mine any more. I'd still recommend it as a good starting pen.
It's not too clunky unless you post the cap.

Old August 23rd 08, 01:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

On 2008-08-22, Bluesea wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen......
(skip my quoted text)
I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the
various colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of
the
capacity and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

I had not even heard of Kaweko - thanks for the link, and I will take a
look at some. BTW, the Sailors hold hardly any ink, with smallish
cartridges and an even smaller converter. (Just carry two!)

Yes, I have a Sailor 1911M. I like it a lot, but I don't consider it a
cheap
pen.

The naming conventions confuse me so much with the profit/1911
line from sailor. Not even sure what we are talking about.

AFAIK, we're talking about two similar, but different pens.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old August 23rd 08, 02:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

On 2008-08-22, Bluesea wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, it's dawned on me that we're talking about two different pens, both
with 14kt nibs.

One weighs 17g, is 135mm long, and is 17.5mm diameter. It retails for $170
but could be had for as low as $125, maybe lower. It was available in black,
blue, a medium bright red, yellow, and clear (demonstrator). That's the one
I was talking about. It used to be called the 1911M Colors series.

The other weighs 15g, is 136mm long, and is 15mm diameter. I wasn't able to
find the MSRP, but have found it for $40 to $60. I don't remember the
colors, but I believe this is the one you were talking about.

Neither of us were talking about the medium-sized pen with the 21kt nib
(1911M Profit 21) that's close in size and a little more expensive than the
Colors pens I listed above nor the larger 1911 pen that also has a 21kt nib
that retails for $275 and is the most expensive of them all. It's also
available in the same colors as the Colors pen I was talking about.

--
~~Bluesea~~whose head hurts
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old August 23rd 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...

I've got a nice MontBlanc that I use at home, but since it's a
discontinued model, I don't like to risk losing it. I own a couple of
the Phileas. It is great value for money, with a smooth nib and generous
flow. There is something "off" about the shape though; it feels less
than sure-footed. Too wide? Funny balance?

The brass half-lining makes it disturbingly top-heavy for me. I later got
the Kultur which is balanced better although it's not as attractive.

I hardly use mine any more. I'd still recommend it as a good starting pen.
It's not too clunky unless you post the cap.

I don't post the cap and it's still too top-heavy for me. I'm sorry to see
them go because that was the pen I usually bought for others. We need to
find another best-ever fountain pen to recommend and give as gifts to
newbies.

Preferably one that won't be discontinued anytime soon.

Old August 23rd 08, 04:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
wolfy

On Aug 17, 5:45*pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
Hello everyone. Anyone at home here?

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sailor 1911 "Profit" 14K range. The medium
one, more like a European fine, is my favourite at the moment. It just
GLIDES. It has been my favourite for 6 weeks. I got a red one with black top
and tail. The "Music nib" one is disappointing though, always glitching. The
"B" one is nice enough, but nothing like the "M".

--
A Sailor in a sea of ink. Blue of course; what did you think?

I used to use Sheaffer school pens, but they became of poor quality
and leaked.
The New-old-stock pen I use now never leaks!
Cartridges are hard to get, but I order through www.yafaonline.com
Wolfy
Old August 23rd 08, 08:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

On 2008-08-22, Bluesea wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Bluesea, I understand the Sailor range a lot better now after
reading that explanation.
The 1911M Colors sounds like a nice pen, but the most expensive one sounds
too big. Is that the so-called "King of Pens", or is that some outsize
model?

Maybe we need a "pilot" to guide us through this naming maze.

Old August 23rd 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yes, it's a shame that it is being discontinued. I've given a few Phileas to
newbies, and they have been really enthusiastic. I've given a few Pilot
78Gs, but you have to use them yourself for a week to make sure they are
*really* OK. Besides, they are discontinued too.

I would say "Pelikano", but mine was disappointingly dry. If it would only
write a bit wetter, it might be quite a pleasant starter pen.

Sailor 1911 Profit 14Ks are almost cheap enough. I don't know how
consistently good they are though. They also use non-standard cartridges.

Old August 24th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Stephen Hust

"Jimmy" wrote:

The 1911M Colors sounds like a nice pen, but the most expensive
one sounds too big. Is that the so-called "King of Pens", or is
that some outsize model?

If you scroll down to the last pictures on this page, you can see
several Sailor pens next to each other:

http://www.nibs.com/SailorPens.htm

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old August 24th 08, 09:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
wolfy wrote:

I used to use Sheaffer school pens, but they became of poor quality
and leaked.
The New-old-stock pen I use now never leaks!

Boy... when did they "become", and how old is that stock?

When I used those pens back in the early 70's, they characteristically
leaked like crazy around the cartridge nipple. The inside of the barrel,
and soon everything else, was soon covered in blue Skrip (the color that
came in the blister pack with the pen).

Cartridges are hard to get, but I order through www.yafaonline.com

Sheaffer cartridges shouldn't be too hard to find. Try art & craft stores
(e.g. Michael's) and college bookstores (downtown Evanston?) for starters.
I've also seen them at Staples.

Brian

opinions, please Lowell Kempton Coins 0 March 27th 06 06:56 PM
opinions, please xnt023 Coins 0 March 27th 06 06:35 PM
opinions, please Steve Ruud Coins 1 March 27th 06 03:54 PM
need some opinions, please Russell Coins 2 November 20th 04 05:53 PM
I need your opinions Greg Coins 24 January 1st 04 07:34 AM