[OT] Faroe Islands

Old January 10th 05, 03:20 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

Default [OT] Faroe Islands

When reading another newsgroup I came across this link that may be of
interest to collectors of the Faroe Islands.
http://www.faroeislands.dk/index.htm

The site is non-philatelic, but lists all cities and villages on the islands
with fair descriptions of location, postal code, and a lot of other local
information, and has some stunning photographs from almost "everywhere" on
these remote islands in the North Atlantic. At the bottom of each page there
is a link to source references, that may also serve as inspiration for
further reading.

The site is easy to navigate, and is in Faroese, English and Danish. A site
well worth visiting, if only for information purposes.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the webmaster and no commercial
interests in the site.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old January 10th 05, 06:42 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:20:05 +0100, "amesh \(Mette\)"
wrote:

When reading another newsgroup I came across this link that may be of
interest to collectors of the Faroe Islands.
http://www.faroeislands.dk/index.htm

The site is non-philatelic, but lists all cities and villages on the islands
with fair descriptions of location, postal code, and a lot of other local
information, and has some stunning photographs from almost "everywhere" on
these remote islands in the North Atlantic. At the bottom of each page there
is a link to source references, that may also serve as inspiration for
further reading.

The site is easy to navigate, and is in Faroese, English and Danish. A site
well worth visiting, if only for information purposes.

The site is easy to navigate, but I wonder how the mail gets to where
it's supposed to go. It appears that most of these towns and villages
have only about 10 - 2000 people. Post office? Where does one exist?

Are each one of those "locations" a true town / village? Yikes!

I thought it was a wee bit desolate up here in the North Country, but
I think I've met my match. :^)
Old January 10th 05, 07:24 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

wrote:

[...]

As said, the posting was OT. But the post offices are located in some of
the bigger towns (Tórshavn, Klaksvík, etc), and from there distributed to
the outback by local plane, boat and footpost. In some of the more remote
places post is only delivered once a week -- the time it takes for the
postman to walk cross-country and back ...

Are each one of those "locations" a true town / village? Yikes!

Yes!

I thought it was a wee bit desolate up here in the North Country, but
I think I've met my match. :^)

Maybe :-)

Old January 10th 05, 09:28 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:24:51 +0100, "amesh \(Mette\)"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

But - I brought it back on topic with the post office question!

Once the postman walks cross-country, a week has gone by. What
happens when he gets back? Immediately go again? Sheesh! :^P
One heck of a job, to be sure... but, the mail must get through!

Are each one of those "locations" a true town / village? Yikes!

Yes!

Yikes. Almost like Pitcairn, but less of a population in some places.
The mayor, fire dept., police dept., hospital staff and all that are 1
person!

I thought it was a wee bit desolate up here in the North Country, but
I think I've met my match. :^)

Maybe :-)

Well, I dunno. Some places are pretty desolate up here. I'm not sure
even the postman travels them much.