Christmas Gift for a Fountain Pen Collecting Friend

Old November 11th 10, 11:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jim Dalin

Default Christmas Gift for a Fountain Pen Collecting Friend

I hate to be one of these dorks who shows up to ask a question and not
participate, so I ask your forgiveness in advance.

My music (guitar) teacher is an avid fountain pen collector and I'd
like to get him something nice for Christmas. I'm willing to spend
$25 - $40 or so. I welcome all your suggestions but I was thinking of
possibly a selection of inks. Are there any special inks that any of
you would be happy to get as a present, something too expensive to buy
for regular use? Or some other accessory? I'd love to get him a pen
with a music nib but I can't find one in my price range.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Jim

PS Actually, I do have a few fountain pens in good working order.
Before I retired I used them at work all the time. As you all know,
it's much less strain on the hand than a ballpoint pen. I just don't
collect them (although I admire people who do).
Old November 13th 10, 08:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

Jim Dalin wrote:

[...]

Noodlers do a good range of inks - have a look at
http://www.noodlersink.com/
or google a supplier near you. I use their plain blue (boring I know)
but they do kinds that dry waterproof, and a large number of colours.
Maybe you could find out what colours your teacher likes, without
spoiling the surprise. If someone gave me more of their blue range to
try, I would certainly be pleased with it.

--
Alan
Old November 14th 10, 04:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Sparafucile

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:04:06 -0800 (PST), Jim
Dalin wrote:

I welcome all your suggestions but I was thinking of
possibly a selection of inks. Are there any special inks that any of
you would be happy to get as a present, something too expensive to buy
for regular use? Or some other accessory? I'd love to get him a pen
with a music nib but I can't find one in my price range.

Here's an online retailer with a wide range of
inks, all of which are good:

http://www.isellpens.com/

You will not find a nib at that price, and
besides, nibs are not necessarily interchangable
between fountain pens.

However, your thought about inks is a good one,
and you will find a good selection online. I
personally use Proivate Reserve and Noodlers,
though all of the ones offered on that web site
are good inks.

I'm sure that he will appreciate your
thoughtfullness.

--
Ciao,

Serge

ŽI love cats because I take pleasure in my home;
soul.¡
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

11/13/2010 11:09:31 PM
Old November 14th 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jim Dalin

Dalin wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you and to the other kind responder. I'll check out the
inks you both recommended.

Thanks again.

Jim
Old November 14th 10, 09:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Alan J[_2_]

Dalin wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention in my previous post, but Diamine inks are pretty
good too. Their Royal Blue is a very pure blue colour, without that
purple cast you often see. I found some colour swatches here (though on
a monitor, they are only an approximation):

http://www.theonlinepencompany.com/p...cat1=Diamine&c
at2=Inks%20and%20Cartridges&cat3=80ml%20Bottles&gc lid=CIGF256joaUCFVEA4w
odtzkxHw

--
Alan
Old November 15th 10, 07:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

"Jim Dalin" wrote in message
Are there any special inks that any of
you would be happy to get as a present, something too expensive to buy
for regular use?

Noodler's, Private Reserve, Diamine and J. Herbin have tons of colors, and
Noodler's has just come out with a new ink, "Black Swan in Australian
Roses," which appears to have very unusual shading. Those brands aren't
actually terribly expensive, although they cost more than, say, Sheaffer
Skrip or (regular) Pelikan.

There also "boutique" inks with price tags to match, such as Pilot's
Iroshizuku and Sailor's Jentle seasonal limited editions from Japan, or
Caran d'Ache's "colors of the earth", from Switzerland.

Brian