Broken Player

Old November 12th 06, 11:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
nickynick8807

Default Broken Player

My 8-Track player is having a problem... it does not switch programs
anymore (actually, it hasn't for many many years now). It's stuck on
program 2, and will play nothing else. Is this something that is
fixable?

Old November 12th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 12 Nov 2006 03:04:21 -0800, "nickynick8807"
wrote:

My 8-Track player is having a problem... it does not switch programs
anymore (actually, it hasn't for many many years now). It's stuck on
program 2, and will play nothing else. Is this something that is
fixable?snip

Should be, but you don't give any information as to kind of player it
is. Make sure the switch contacts in the tape path are clean. They
should be cleaned every time you clean the heads, with a long Q-tip
and 91% isopropyl alcohol. If they're clean and making contact with
the foil splice on the tape, then there could simply be a broken lead
to the contacts or the solenoid, or a gummed up head height mechanism.
Old November 12th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
failing anti-gunner from Lancaster-(laughter...)

nickynick8807 wrote:
My 8-Track player is having a problem... it does not switch programs
anymore (actually, it hasn't for many many years now). It's stuck on
program 2, and will play nothing else. Is this something that is
fixable?

check the channel switch circuit and sensing poles

it may also be stuck in channel 2, i.e. grease on the head plate
mechanism jams them sometimes, just like a turntable does

Old November 15th 06, 07:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
nickynick8807

My 8-Track Player is a Panasonic RS-817S 8-Track Recorder. Cleaning it
didn't seem to fix the problem. One thing I forgot to mention in my
doesn't switch. It makes a clicking noise, but no "ka-ching" noise.

Old November 15th 06, 12:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
jailhouserock

wrote:

My 8-Track player is having a problem... it does not switch programs
anymore (actually, it hasn't for many many years now). It's stuck on
program 2, and will play nothing else. Is this something that is
fixable?snip

Should be, but you don't give any information as to kind of player it
is. Make sure the switch contacts in the tape path are clean. They
should be cleaned every time you clean the heads, with a long Q-tip
and 91% isopropyl alcohol. If they're clean and making contact with
the foil splice on the tape, then there could simply be a broken lead
to the contacts or the solenoid, or a gummed up head height mechanism.

the tape head channel switching mechanism is stuck- you'll run across a
few of those from time to time

Old November 15th 06, 02:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 14 Nov 2006 23:29:48 -0800, "nickynick8807"
wrote:

My 8-Track Player is a Panasonic RS-817S 8-Track Recorder. Cleaning it
didn't seem to fix the problem. One thing I forgot to mention in my
doesn't switch. It makes a clicking noise, but no "ka-ching" noise. snip

Could be that the linkage from the solenoid has stuck, or that the
grease used to lubricate the head height mechanism has dried out. Many
Panasonics used a ratchet mechanism with a plastic hub that determined
head height. Underneath that, the shaft and head carrier rides up and
down. Might be too dry to move now.
Old November 15th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
jailhouserock

wrote:

My 8-Track player is having a problem... it does not switch programs
anymore (actually, it hasn't for many many years now). It's stuck on
program 2, and will play nothing else. Is this something that is
fixable?snip

Should be, but you don't give any information as to kind of player it
is. Make sure the switch contacts in the tape path are clean. They
should be cleaned every time you clean the heads, with a long Q-tip
and 91% isopropyl alcohol. If they're clean and making contact with
the foil splice on the tape, then there could simply be a broken lead
to the contacts or the solenoid, or a gummed up head height mechanism.

what's that smell ? look out Nicky, it's DESERTBOB and his stench of
defeat in life...

Old November 15th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On 15 Nov 2006 07:45:16 -0800, "jailhouserock"
wrote:

what's that smell ? snip

That's easy...it's the biggest fraudster who ever hit the 8 track
world....Charlie Nudo, aka "66fourdoor" on eBay.

A Fraud a Day...the Nudo Way!

Hey Noodles! When's the IRS coming to arrest you for non-payment of
back taxes?