Noodler's permanent inks and cork seals

Old March 16th 05, 05:03 AM
Arnav

Default Noodler's permanent inks and cork seals

Will Noodler's permanent inks (black and/or colors) harm the cork seals in
certain vintage pens?
Old March 16th 05, 02:47 PM
Garglemonster

Will Noodler's permanent inks (black and/or colors) harm the cork
seals in certain vintage pens?

You could test it on a wine cork. I suspect that the cork would stand
up pretty well to all fountain pen inks, but you could try just to
make sure.

--

Yow! Am I in Milwaukee?
Old March 16th 05, 05:47 PM
Arnav

Garglemonster wrote:
Will Noodler's permanent inks (black and/or colors) harm the cork
seals in certain vintage pens?

You could test it on a wine cork. I suspect that the cork would stand
up pretty well to all fountain pen inks, but you could try just to
make sure.

Thanks. I should have thought of that!
Old March 16th 05, 08:54 PM
Dave

In article ,
Garglemonster wrote:

Will Noodler's permanent inks (black and/or colors) harm the cork
seals in certain vintage pens?

You could test it on a wine cork. I suspect that the cork would stand
up pretty well to all fountain pen inks, but you could try just to
make sure.

I suppose what matters is possible long-term damage, which by definition
would take a while to test for. :-)

But I suspect that anything capable of dissolving wood would also be
dissolving the paper you write on - so you should be safe.

Nathan Tardif (who makes the ink) also restores vintage pens, so it's
quite possible that he remembered to think of the effect on corks, if
necessary.

David
Old March 18th 05, 02:58 AM

"so it's
quite possible that he remembered to think of the effect on corks,"

Corks rot...they require replacement far more often than modern seals.
I could be a salesman for dupont - they make the BEST seals for piston
filled pens...seals that are made to wear for 40,000+ movements
equivalent to a filling and great changes in temperature (think -
o-rings for your kitchen faucet!)....seals that on some of my pens are
now over 15 years old and still work perfectly despite having used an
admittedly extreme variety of inks.

That being said...all corks stain with all fountain pen inks over time
- but why is this a concern? Will you be upset when the wine stains
the cork too and toss out a perfectly good bottle of wine? It does
not cause a loss in seal abilities until the organic cork begins to rot
in several years. Frank and I both agreed long ago that cork was often
more original...but for a user grade pen it also could be an excuse to
repeat often costly repair work through planned
failure/rot/obsolescence. Cork was used long ago...because at one
point it was the best people had - but today we have many more better
alternatives. How many repairmen want the pen NEVER to come back for
service again and to work forever? (Hint: those that hate backlogs
more than they want repairs)