Today in Philatelic History - Snakes and Wooden stamps

Old October 7th 04, 02:11 PM
TC Blair

Default Today in Philatelic History - Snakes and Wooden stamps

2004
Hong Kong

HK to issue stamps honoring Olympic medallists

Hongkong Post announced that it would issue on Oct. 7 (2004) special
"Heartwarming Stamps" to congratulate the Hong Kong Olympic team on
winning a silver medal in the men's table tennis doubles at the 2004
Olympic Games in Athens.

The commemorative "Heartwarming Stamps" will be available in a
mini-pane containing 16 stamps denominated in local postage and photos
of the men's table tennis doubles silver medallists in the 2004
Olympic Games, Li Ching and Ko Lai-chak. The mini-panes will be of
limited edition at a cost of 50 HK dollars (6.4 US dollars) each.

A blank Souvenir Cover with no stamps attached will also be available
for 1 HK dollar (0.13 US dollars).

Source: Xinhua

2003
USA - 37¢ Reptiles and Amphibians stamps issued - five designs depict
Scarlet Kingsnake, Ornate Chorus Frog, Reticulate Collared Lizard,
Ornate Box Turtle and Blue-Spotted Salamander
http://www.texasphilatelic.org/resou...3/reptiles.jpg

1983
Djibouti - Oct 7, 1983 Scott C187 issued
perf 12½ 50th Anniversary of Air France issued
souvenir sheet on WOOD - St-Exupéry - Concorde
http://www.trussel.com/saint-ex/stamps/djic187b.jpg
http://www.trussel.com/saint-ex/stamps/djic187d.jpg

1952 -
Ryukus - Postal card with stamp info sent Oct 7, 1952
http://www.baxleystamps.com/bp/ry_voc10_norton.jpg

1949
USA - Scott C43 - Globe and Doves issued - Oct. 7, 1949
http://www.1847usa.com/images/C43.jpg

1940
USA -
Scott 889 - The 1¢ Famous American Inventor Eli Whitney - issued Oct.
7
Scott 890 - The 2¢ Famous American Inventor Samuel F. B. Morse -
issued Oct. 7

Blair (TC)
Old October 7th 04, 03:51 PM
Rodney

MOVING ASSEMBLY LINE AT FORD:
October 7, 1913

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=497

For the first time, Henry Ford's entire Highland Park automobile
factory is run on a continuously moving assembly line
when the chassis--the automobile's frame--is assembled
using the revolutionary industrial technique. A motor and rope
pulled the chassis past workers and parts on the factory floor,
cutting the man-hours required to complete one "Model T"
from 12 1/2 hours to six. Within a year, further assembly line
improvements reduced the time required to 93 man-minutes.

The staggering increase in productivity effected by Ford's
use of the moving assembly line allowed him to drastically
reduce the cost of the Model T, thereby accomplishing his
dream of making the car affordable to ordinary consumers.

Old October 7th 04, 04:22 PM
Roger Smith

"TC Blair" wrote in message
om...
2004
Hong Kong

HK to issue stamps honoring Olympic medallists

Hongkong Post announced that it would issue on Oct. 7 (2004) special
"Heartwarming Stamps" to congratulate the Hong Kong Olympic team on
winning a silver medal in the men's table tennis doubles at the 2004
Olympic Games in Athens.

The commemorative "Heartwarming Stamps" will be available in a
mini-pane containing 16 stamps denominated in local postage and photos
of the men's table tennis doubles silver medallists in the 2004
Olympic Games, Li Ching and Ko Lai-chak. The mini-panes will be of
limited edition at a cost of 50 HK dollars (6.4 US dollars) each.

A blank Souvenir Cover with no stamps attached will also be available
for 1 HK dollar (0.13 US dollars).

Source: Xinhua

Blair (TC)

Blair

At least this will not be as expensive as for collectors of Australia. 85
AUD for a set of 17 sheetlets, one for each gold medal won, plus all the
other paraphernalia! It had me watching the games on television hoping that
the Australian competitors would be defeated - surely not what was intended.

Regards, Roger

Old October 8th 04, 01:00 AM
Rodney

Cleverly managed marketing!
consider the perf/peel and stick option of issues increases the matrix by 2,
then the "Koala and Kangaroo" count matrix increases that again,
I believe I have one issue, maybe endangered species, with a Kangaroo
and 2 Koalas!
Mind boggling stuff