Calling all experts! Jukebox Metals Info Requested

Old February 28th 16, 06:12 AM
NYJB NYJB is offline
Junior Member

Default Calling all experts! Jukebox Metals Info Requested

I'm working on Seeburg 100Rs, but my question could be helpful to many, I think.

I don't have the expertise to handle the many different types of metal in the jukebox, though I understand that the cleaning and maintenance of them differs, and that what is sound for some can be disastrous for others. Rather than run down lots of parts, I'd like to learn to recognize them. To keep it simple, I'd like to suggest a format:

Examples:

You can tell that something is made of _________ if it __________.
The best way to clean/ repair/restore ________ is _________.
Do not ever __________.
Other parts made of this include _________.

I'm sure there are others, but some examples I can think in a 100R a
the yellowy metal that is used for many of the brackets
the soft grayish metal that many of the castings are made of
the shiny silvery metal that solenoid pins are made of
the hard metal used for gears
copper contacts
pins of various plugs
things painted blue, like the magazine

If we wind up with a lot of information, I will organize it into a single posting to make it easy for others to use.
Old February 29th 16, 02:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 02/27/2016 9:12 PM, NYJB wrote:
[...]

Or you could simply use the Seeburg Lubrication Guide page which should
be in your service manual. For Seeburg Oil use 20W non-detergent.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Old March 2nd 16, 04:37 PM
NYJB NYJB is offline
Junior Member

Of course. I'm trying to build an understand beyond lubrication, though, and not so much to address a particular problem, but to understand this aspect of the jukeboxes. Also, it is a lot easier to find information about handling the metals from outside the jukebox community if I know what they are made of.

For example, I don't know what the plugs are made of, or if they are coated. I don't think this is in either manual, although it might be. I'm not asking anyone to post anything comprehensive, but I would certainly like to tap the collective wisdom.
Old March 3rd 16, 02:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 03/02/2016 7:37 AM, NYJB wrote:
Of course. I'm trying to build an understand beyond lubrication,
though, and not so much to address a particular problem, but to
understand this aspect of the jukeboxes. Also, it is a lot easier to
find information about handling the metals from outside the jukebox
community if I know what they are made of.

For example, I don't know what the plugs are made of, or if they are
coated. I don't think this is in either manual, although it might be.
I'm not asking anyone to post anything comprehensive, but I would
certainly like to tap the collective wisdom.

You would need the engineering drawings from the non-existent factory.
There is a fellow named Ron Rich who hangs out in some of the jukebox
mail lists on Yahoo who worked at Seeburg for a long time. He is one of
your better bets for this info.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com