Rockola 498 keyboard functions

Old October 10th 14, 03:43 AM
Nate12 Nate12 is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Carolina
Default Rockola 498 keyboard functions

I'm new to the jukebox world and I'm repairing a Rockola 498 that I recieved. My problem is that the computer will boot normally and go to the normal operation LED. The top hits shows 100 and I can add a credit or however many that I want manually. The credits will display. When at this point, no numbers will register or do anything except for the number 0 when pressed on the keyboard. If I press 0 the "record playing" display immediately goes to "Err" and the reset LED flashes. I can press reset and it will return back to the beginning display of top hits 100 and the credits that I've added. Has anyone seen this scenario or have any input? I can put the box in test mode and it will play the disks like it is supposed to randomly, each one, of the preselected ones set from the factory. I've also reseated the ribbon cables checked for corrosion, replaced the battery, and ensured good grounds. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old October 10th 14, 03:40 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 10/09/2014, 7:43 PM, Nate12 wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you have credit? Also, pressing the Zero button should give
you an error as the selections all start with a number other than zero.

If there is a self test then try that, see if the keyboard works in that
mode - may control stuff. If it works then verify you actually have
credit again when back in play mode.

Check the programming of the computer. Perhaps try removing the battery
for an hour or two with the machine unplugged and then try programming
it again. Sometimes the battery backed up RAM gets gibberish and stops
the computer from working properly - clearing it completely often brings
a machine back to life.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old October 11th 14, 03:40 AM
Nate12 Nate12 is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Carolina

Yes, it will display the number of credits and they will increment up or down when I use the CPU credit add or subtract buttons. They will also increment up if I drop a coin. In test mode, the keyboard has no control, it is a predetermined program that plays the records and that work flawlessly. I have also turned off the DIP switch corresponding to the battery holding the last play memory to try to avoid issues. It also sat for over 10 years before I pulled it out of the mothballs of an old warehouse and fired it back up. I can disconnect it and power down for a while to see. All functions seem normal, except for being able to press a record selection and it display on the read out and then playing. IC issue? I'm hopeing I can revive her.

Last edited by Nate12 : October 11th 14 at 03:43 AM.
Old October 11th 14, 05:21 PM
Nate12 Nate12 is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Carolina

I tried to disconnect the battery and leave it unplugged overnight. No change. I still have the same results with it not reading the keypad.
Old October 11th 14, 05:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

On 10/10/2014, 7:40 PM, Nate12 wrote:
Yes, it will display the number of credits and they will increment up or
down when I use the CPU credit add or subtract buttons. They will also
increment up if I drop a coin. In test mode, the keyboard has no
control, it is a predetermined program that plays the records and that
work flawlessly. I have also turned off the DIP switch corresponding to
the battery holding the last play memory to try to avoid issues. It also
sat for over 10 years before I pulled it out of the mothballs of an old
warehouse and fired it back up. I can disconnect it and power down for a
while to see. All functions seem normal, except for being able to press
a record selection and it display on the read out and then playing. IC
issue? I'm hopeing I can revive her.

Well, you can always check that the keyboard info is reaching its
controller...it is likely a matrix so seven or so data lines - the
common element is the suspect. Is there a keyboard IC? Do the row and
strobe lines connect to it? Are the strobe lines active? Do the row
lines show data when the buttons are pressed?

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old November 5th 14, 03:48 AM
Nate12 Nate12 is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Carolina

Found that 90% of the keyboard is bad. The contacts are hung open and do not close when the keyboard is pressed. You were on to something. Anyone have any leads on a keyboard for a Rockola 498? I think a 496 is the same as we'll.
Old November 21st 14, 07:00 PM
Nate12 Nate12 is offline
Junior Member

Location: North Carolina

I have found keyboards for a Rock-ola 3000. Does anyone know if this can be made to work? Look to be VERY similar. Thanks.

rock ola 2000x keyboard jukeboxguy514 Juke Boxes 1 February 24th 09 11:24 PM
new keyboard time Mr Black Autographs 9 July 27th 06 12:20 AM
Seeburg 222 Keyboard Removal Mattrock1 Juke Boxes 2 July 25th 06 02:40 AM
Some sellers say poor search functions hurting Ebay sales stonej Coins 0 June 25th 06 12:52 PM
FS: AMI I 200 keyboard $125 at Coinopwarehouse Coinopwarehouse Juke Boxes 0 February 19th 06 03:41 PM