Is Selling USed on Amazon Rigged?

Old February 3rd 05, 11:48 AM
callmekilo

Default Is Selling USed on Amazon Rigged?

Almost everytim I list a book there are no other sellers, then
suddently there are six or seven all $1 lower. And when I lower my
price, those six or seven all lower it again to $1 under me. I
appreciate the need for competition in the free market place, but I
wonder is there a bot or something that large booksellers (maybe even
publishers) use that automatically places bids lower than books they
may or may not have just to discourage, thwart, etc? It's just too
automatic ...

Old February 3rd 05, 02:41 PM
Mark Sornson

callmekilo wrote:

Almost everytim I list a book there are no other sellers, then
suddently there are six or seven all $1 lower. And when I lower my
price, those six or seven all lower it again to $1 under me. I
appreciate the need for competition in the free market place, but I
wonder is there a bot or something that large booksellers (maybe even
publishers) use that automatically places bids lower than books they
may or may not have just to discourage, thwart, etc? It's just too
automatic ...

What happens if you list a book for $1?

Is it always the same 6 or 7 who list lower
than you?

And, what happens if you list a book that
is already listed by another dealer?

-m.
Old February 3rd 05, 03:00 PM
Jonathan Grobe

On 2005-02-03, callmekilo wrote:
Almost everytim I list a book there are no other sellers, then
suddently there are six or seven all $1 lower. And when I lower my
price, those six or seven all lower it again to $1 under me. I
appreciate the need for competition in the free market place, but I
wonder is there a bot or something that large booksellers (maybe even
publishers) use that automatically places bids lower than books they
may or may not have just to discourage, thwart, etc? It's just too
automatic ...

A number of dealers use software that will check the prices of
all their books at Amazon and reset their prices to the lowest.
For example Sellerengine
http://www.sellerengine.com

And if two dealers with the same book are using such software
you can get to a low price of a $.01 very fast.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Old February 3rd 05, 04:16 PM
R. Totale

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:00:10 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Grobe

On 2005-02-03, callmekilo wrote:
Almost everytim I list a book there are no other sellers, then
suddently there are six or seven all $1 lower. And when I lower my
price, those six or seven all lower it again to $1 under me. I
appreciate the need for competition in the free market place, but I
wonder is there a bot or something that large booksellers (maybe even
publishers) use that automatically places bids lower than books they
may or may not have just to discourage, thwart, etc? It's just too
automatic ...

A number of dealers use software that will check the prices of
all their books at Amazon and reset their prices to the lowest.
For example Sellerengine
http://www.sellerengine.com

And if two dealers with the same book are using such software
you can get to a low price of a $.01 very fast.

So if you had a moderately priced book (say $40) and see that a
competitor is using one of these programs, wouldn't the thing to do be
to drop your price to say $5, wait for his bot to match, buy his, and
then put yours back up where it belongs?

Old February 3rd 05, 06:36 PM
callmekilo

Ah, this explains it: sellerengine. Maybe I'll have some fun and
lowball a book I want as a seller, then let the seller engine bring the
price down for me. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Cheers,

On 2005-02-03, callmekilo wrote:
Almost everytim I list a book there are no other sellers, then
suddently there are six or seven all $1 lower. And when I lower my
price, those six or seven all lower it again to $1 under me. I
appreciate the need for competition in the free market place, but I
wonder is there a bot or something that large booksellers (maybe even
publishers) use that automatically places bids lower than books they
may or may not have just to discourage, thwart, etc? It's just too
automatic ...

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old February 4th 05, 11:57 PM
Brian Kaltenbach

Ah, this explains it: sellerengine. Maybe I'll have some fun and
lowball a book I want as a seller, then let the seller engine bring the
price down for me. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Cheers,

That's a great idea. I'm going to go pick up a slew of books I wanted for a
lot cheaper now....ha ha