eBay sellers making a killing on rolls of 2009 Lincoln cents

Old February 15th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

Default eBay sellers making a killing on rolls of 2009 Lincoln cents

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:45:31 -0600, "PC" wrote:

It the mint planning to sell numismatic quality rolls of the Lincoln
Cents?

What do you mean by "numismatic quality" rolls?

You know, the ones with the fancy and way cool wrappers that you can only
get from the US Mint. The ladies dig them.

Yes, those are the rolls. The term numismatic quality comes from the
description of the direct-ship / circulation grade rolls.

Some of the earlier US Mint wrapper state quarter rolls do sell for a
premium over the initial price. But that is not a guarantee, esp. with
later issues. I recently bought a WV US Mint set for $19.61. Anyway, I
might pick up a couple Lincoln rolls if the markup isn't too much.
Although I won't pay $32.95 for $1 worth of coins, I might go $5 - $7.
Old February 15th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jon Purkey wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:45:31 -0600, "PC" wrote:

It the mint planning to sell numismatic quality rolls of the
Lincoln Cents?

What do you mean by "numismatic quality" rolls?

You know, the ones with the fancy and way cool wrappers that you can
only get from the US Mint. The ladies dig them.

Yes, those are the rolls. The term numismatic quality comes from the
description of the direct-ship / circulation grade rolls.

Some of the earlier US Mint wrapper state quarter rolls do sell for a
premium over the initial price. But that is not a guarantee, esp. with
later issues. I recently bought a WV US Mint set for $19.61. Anyway, I
might pick up a couple Lincoln rolls if the markup isn't too much.
Although I won't pay $32.95 for $1 worth of coins, I might go $5 - $7.

Well, when I think "numismatic quality" I think of coins that are retrieved
from the out chute in a gloved hand and set aside for packaging so that they
don't come into contact with other coins. A quick eyeball of a Canadian
mint set suggests that to be the method used north of the border. A quick
eyeball of a U.S. mint set, which is sold at "numismatic quality" prices,
suggests that not to be the method used in the U.S. I'm just sayin'...

James

Old February 15th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Jon Purkey" wrote in message

Some of the earlier US Mint wrapper state quarter rolls do sell for
premium over the initial price. But that is not a guarantee, esp.
with
later issues. I recently bought a WV US Mint set for $19.61. Anyway,
might pick up a couple Lincoln rolls if the markup isn't too much.
Although I won't pay $32.95 for $1 worth of coins, I might go $5 -
$7.

The one that torques me is paying $32.95 for $20 rolls and $35.95 for
$25 rolls of whatever. (Bags have similar mark-ups, too. The special
program for $250 lots of Prez dollars is the only exception.) It's
not like these coins are choice specimens or have have gotten any
special handling beyond the usual rattling around in bins as business
strikes prior to rolling. Rolls are a bit heavier to ship than sets
or placard-mounted specimens, but except for larger numbers of rolls,
the $4.95 shipping defrays or covers that cost. Eventually you are
able to get most of these items at the bank in contractors' rolls at
face value. IMO they should be selling Mint-wrapper rolls at no more
than a $5 mark-up over the $20 or $25.

Even the exorbitant Mint mark-up on gold and silver coins makes a
limited amount of sense because theoretically their PM value
eventually can catch up with the purchase price. Can you imagine
pricing clad base-metal coins for a melt value above their face value,
let alone their numismatic value?

Old February 17th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:35:02 -0600, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

Jon Purkey wrote:
[...]

There used to be some videos on the mints website showing how coins
were made. Even the production and assembly of proof sets appeared to
be mostly automated from what they showed.
Old February 18th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:45:20 -0700 (MST), Ned
wrote:

In article
et
Ned wrote:

In article
Johnny Doe wrote:

They will only make, what, about a billion of each design?

Get your bids in, $25 boxes of 50 rolls bid up to $265 with 2 days
left!

even worse: 5 rolls + postal stuff from the Lincoln
birthplace postal station currently a $200+ auction -
http://xrl.us/Lincoln2009

Winning bid $560 - amazing!

Ned, I'm honored to have your response in a thread that I started

Have a great day!

2009 Lincoln Cents RF Coins 2 January 30th 08 05:02 PM
FA: Rolls of Uncirculated Lincoln Wheat Pennies / Cents garagesaler Coins 1 September 27th 06 07:15 AM
New Dollar Coin in 2009 will bear image of Lincoln, and will only be issued in exchange for a roll of Cents Joe Fischer Coins 7 July 21st 06 03:51 AM
FA: 1c No Reserve 1963 P & D Origianl BU Rolls Lincoln Cents [email protected] Coins 0 May 19th 06 01:19 AM
FA: Unc. Rolls of Jeff Nickels and Lincoln Mem. Cents Jim Fekete Coins 0 May 4th 04 09:57 PM