Help identifying medal. Thank you.

Old May 9th 05, 12:14 AM
Doc

Default Help identifying medal. Thank you.

I know this is not a coin but hoped that one of you might be able to
help me. Mom gave me this medal for my birthday this year because I
collect coins. (Similarly, someone gave it to her dad because he
"collects coins".) She thought it was silver, but I don't think so.
Yellower than silver, lighter than brass/bronze - hubby thought maybe
nickel plated.

Measures just over 1.5 inches (4 cm).

OBV: roman-looking guy (head and shoulders) holding branch
(olive?/laurel?)

REV: thin wreath containing legend "DEM SIEGER S.C.E. 20.Stift.Fest I.
Preis"

I tried entering the legend in google and got no returns.

Thanks.

DrLLLong
....whose non-coin little round object collection is growing through no
fault of my own

Old May 9th 05, 12:56 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Doc wrote:

OBV: roman-looking guy (head and shoulders) holding branch
(olive?/laurel?)

That would be a winner g because ...

REV: thin wreath containing legend "DEM SIEGER S.C.E. 20.Stift.Fest I.
Preis"

.... that's German and "Dem Sieger" means "To/For The Winner".

S.C.E. is probably some local sports club, "20. Stift.Fest" means "20th
Foundation Festival (Stiftungsfest), and "I. Preis" is "First Prize".

Will be tough to find out where exactly this is from ;-)

Christian
Old May 9th 05, 01:10 AM
Dale Hallmark

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
. ..
Doc wrote:

OBV: roman-looking guy (head and shoulders) holding branch
(olive?/laurel?)

That would be a winner g because ...

REV: thin wreath containing legend "DEM SIEGER S.C.E. 20.Stift.Fest I.
Preis"

... that's German and "Dem Sieger" means "To/For The Winner".

S.C.E. is probably some local sports club, "20. Stift.Fest" means "20th
Foundation Festival (Stiftungsfest), and "I. Preis" is "First Prize".

Will be tough to find out where exactly this is from ;-)

Christian

If it has a designer's name, it might
help differentiate between Austrian and German

Dale

Old May 9th 05, 03:13 AM
Doc

Doc wrote:

OBV: roman-looking guy (head and shoulders) holding branch
(olive?/laurel?)

That would be a winner g because ...

REV: thin wreath containing legend "DEM SIEGER S.C.E.

20.Stift.Fest I.
Preis"

... that's German and "Dem Sieger" means "To/For The Winner".

S.C.E. is probably some local sports club, "20. Stift.Fest" means

"20th
Foundation Festival (Stiftungsfest), and "I. Preis" is "First

Prize".

Will be tough to find out where exactly this is from ;-)

Christian

If it has a designer's name, it might
help differentiate between Austrian and German

Dale

Thanks for the translation and comments. No designer's name. Looks
like the DEM SIEGER is part of the medal as made and the rest of it is
a lighter engraving added afterwards. So I'm guessing the equivlent of
those generic little trophies they give out at community/school
sporting events. No matter...I wasn't under the impression it was a
"find" just curious. Its the right size/wt for a card protector for my
trip to Vegas next week -- I'll give it a run as a "good luck" piece.

Thanks again for the response. You folk at RCC have always been very
helpful!

DrLLLong

Old May 9th 05, 03:29 AM
Dale Hallmark

"Doc" wrote in message
oups.com...
If it has a designer's name, it might
help differentiate between Austrian and German
Dale

No designer's name. Looks
like the DEM SIEGER is part of the medal as made and the rest of it is
a lighter engraving added afterwards. So I'm guessing the equivlent of
those generic little trophies they give out at community/school
sporting events. No matter...I wasn't under the impression it was a
"find" just curious.

Ahhh but I collect Austrian medals and even if it had no monetary value,
if it could be identified as Austrian instead of German, it would be a
"find"
to me simply for the information identifying it represented.

I have quite a few worthless medals that I treasure a lot :-)
Dale