Wollensak 8080

Old December 22nd 04, 08:56 PM
DeserTBoB

Default Wollensak 8080

Today's auction of a Wollensak 8080 (an 8075 with quad playback
option) sold for $73...

....thus proving once more than Charles Nouilles (the french frauder),
aka Chuckie Noodles, aka 66fourdoorrustbucket, aka NudoFraud, doesn't
know his ass from a mudhole.

Eat **** and die, Noodles!

dB
Old December 23rd 04, 04:14 PM

DeserTBoB wrote:
Today's auction of a Wollensak 8080 (an 8075 with quad playback
option) sold for $73...

...thus proving once more than Charles Nouilles (the french frauder),
aka Chuckie Noodles, aka 66fourdoorrustbucket, aka NudoFraud, doesn't
know his ass from a mudhole.

Eat **** and die, Noodles!

dB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

GEE whiz DB, how come these AKAI 80D-SS tape decks go for twice as much
as your Wollensuk brand ???

Could it be the AKAI has a huge AC motor in it yielding ZERO
wow/flutter ??

Or just the basic superior overall design of the AKai ??

or all of the above ??

HAHAHAHA

now let's all watch as DB backpeddles in typical liberal democrate
fashion with a littany of "if's" "but's" and a tapestry of
profanity...

those are the facts DB, Akai value beats Wollensak hands down, at least
2 to 1, and during the summer, you can get Wollies for $10...
Wollensak's SUCK

Old December 23rd 04, 05:28 PM
8 tracker from hell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5732288634&ssPage Name=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737473218&ssPage Name=STRK:MEWA:IT

GEE whiz DB, how come these AKAI 80D-SS tape decks go for twice as much
as your Wollensuk brand ???

hey stupid ****, the only reason it went so cheap was because of the time it
was posted. the auction ended at a odd time of day. the wallensaks bring
more than the akais any day, but your too stupid to realize that.

Could it be the AKAI has a huge AC motor in it yielding ZERO
wow/flutter ??

again, your stupidity shines through. AC motors do have problems with wow &
flutter, mainly due to power line variations.

Or just the basic superior overall design of the AKai ??

superier design? HA!
like the irreplaceable IC chip in the preamp stage that commonly fails &
there is no replacement available anymore.
like the oversize drive belt which is also unavailable.

or all of the above ??

HAHAHAHA

now let's all watch as DB backpeddles in typical liberal democrate
fashion with a littany of "if's" "but's" and a tapestry of
profanity...

those are the facts DB, Akai value beats Wollensak hands down, at least
2 to 1, and during the summer, you can get Wollies for $10...
Wollensak's SUCK

NudoFraud, your so full of ****, i dont know how you could still be living.
like i said earlier, you aught to shoot yourself. you are so stupid, you
dont realise that you dont have any dignity left.
--
i have an 8 track mind
Old December 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:28:03 -0500, 8 tracker from hell

GEE whiz DB, how come these AKAI 80D-SS tape decks go for twice as much
as your Wollensuk brand ??? snip

I dunno, Noodles, especially seeing how hard it is to keep the damned
things running.

hey stupid ****, the only reason it went so cheap was because of the time it
was posted. the auction ended at a odd time of day. the wallensaks bring
more than the akais any day, but your too stupid to realize that. snip

I'm not so sure about that, either. Of course, marketing an auction
with the right description and at the right time means a lot when
trying to attract clueless bidders with more money than sense. I've
seen 8075s go anywhere from $5 to $75, and Akais bringing a bit more
on the bottom end...usually, but not always. That quad playback 8080
went for $73, so I'd consider Noodles' assessment, like all of his
idiotic comments, to be baseless.

Could it be the AKAI has a huge AC motor in it yielding ZERO
wow/flutter ??

again, your stupidity shines through. AC motors do have problems with wow &
flutter, mainly due to power line variations. snip

Actually, the power grid's frequency stability is 2E10-8 long term, so
frequency's not really a problem. Voltage dips while the deck's motor
is under heavy load COULD be a problem, certainly. The problem with
an AC motored tape transport is the same, whether it's some 8 track
toy like these or on my Ampexes...inflexibility of speed control. The
Wollensak uses a tachyservo circuit to do two things: stabilize motor
shaft speed at a preset value, and change the current to maintain that
speed when facing different loads, which is most certainly a problem
with 8 tracks. An oversized AC motor just turns at the same speed
regardless of load until overload is reached and loss of synchronicity
occurs, at which point winding overheating quickly takes place.
However, the problem is that you can't get the RIGHT speed except in a
very rare set of circumstances...the exact "right" belt, the exact
"right" load, and so on. I'm aware that cheating takes places by
using thicker or thinner belts, shimming of drive sheaves, etc., but
these are inelegant fixes at best.

Since I possess the curse of perfect pitch, a tape deck that's off
speed drives me nuts, as do groups and performers who are mistuned,
either deliberately or through incompetence. Kenny G, the much
maligned (rightfully so) flugelhorn noodler, purposely tunes his axe
as much as 20 cents SHARP all the time to make his solos stand out to
insensitive ears. Hearing him crank out that elevator music he does
is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, especially when his
accompaniment is on pitch, which they usually are. Contemporary
symphony orchestras are every bit as guilty also, with many of them
tuning up to A=460 (damned near a half step sharp!!!) in an attempt to
keep jaded ears of fat corporate jerkoffs in the founder's circle
"entertained," while musicianly types in the loges cringe. Dallas'
symphony is the worst at this, but the LA Philharmonic under Salonen's
direction is almost as bad. During the inaugural concert series at
Disney Hall in LA, I estimated that the LA Phil had tuned up to A=455
at least, which gave me fits all night. I never know what key the
average bar band is playing in, because most of them don't know how to
tune up, anyway.

I digress, as usual, but given a choice, having my tape pass the heads
at exactly 15.00 (or 7.500 or 3.750 or 1.87500) IPS is not an option,
but a necessity. It's also a necessity when doing professional studio
work between various machines. Restoration and transcription of many
of the earliest taped performances is problematic, since they were
mastered on Ampex 300s, notoriously sloppy about speed accuracy as
they were (and are.) On later Ampexes (350 and on) using direct drive
sychronous AC capstan motors, good engineering ensured proper tape
speed unless the capstan is worn enough to bring tape speed down,
which is then corrected by capstan resurfacing.

DC servo capstans in pro machines are great as they allow for speed
correction of an improperly recorded master...as long as the owner of
the machine keeps the servo properly calibrated, which is the same
issue as on the Wollensak DC motored decks. On consumer grade AC
powered decks, even reel-to-reel, I've noticed that speed accuracy is
NEVER good, due to a multitude of reasons which vary from model to
model. As I said, even the vaunted Ampex 300 was horrid at
maintaining correct speed due to its indirect drive. So, given the
choice, I'll go for DC servo control on a consumer deck, as I have the
proper alignment tape (NOT a "NudoFraud® Industries" special, which is
the biggest of Noodles' Ebay frauds) with which to set standard speed.
The easier (and less equipment dependent) way to set proper speed is
just to make a timing cart, which I made out of a 41 minute
pre-recorded cart simply by cutting it to exactly 187.5' using a
Hikari Seiki tape counter (you, of course, can use a ruler and a lot
of time). Exactly 10 minutes between track changes, the deck's right
on speed.

superier design? HA!
like the irreplaceable IC chip in the preamp stage that commonly fails &
there is no replacement available anymore.
like the oversize drive belt which is also unavailable. snip

The more I see of these Akais, the less I like them. I also notice
they're somewhat deficient in deep bass by their own published
specifications, as are most 8 track machines. Since most pop music
doesn't contain any deep bass to speak of with very rare exceptions,
it's not a problem on that genre. By "deep," I mean the region from
20 to 60 cycles. Most gee-tawr basses never get below 82 Hz on their
fundamental on the open E string anyway, and there's precious little
of that to begin with. Even orchestral music rarely gets any
significant power in that area unless the contrabasses are at their
lowest note and the timpanis are roaring. This area's basically the
province of the pipe organ and electronic sound sources, as well as
nature recordings of thunder...hardly the kind of fare you'll kind in
the average 8 track in a car! My testing shows conclusively that the
Wollensak 8075 (not necessarily the 8056 and other lower models with
the 775 head) can get down to at least 30 Hz with no effort on record
or playback, and to 25 on the alignment tape almost flat, once you
correct for "fringing effect" of running a full track tape.

now let's all watch as DB backpeddles in typical liberal democrate
fashion with a littany of "if's" "but's" and a tapestry of
profanity... snip

If Noodles is bored but lonely, Noodles lets his dog lick his
ass...film at 11. Happy now?

those are the facts DB, Akai value beats Wollensak hands down snip

Noodles needs a hand UP...his ASS!

NudoFraud, your so full of ****, i dont know how you could still be living.
like i said earlier, you aught to shoot yourself. you are so stupid, you
dont realise that you dont have any dignity left.

Unintelligent people like Noodles don't know when they're finished,
and Noodles has been finished for quite some time.

Another NudoFraud®: He states his "$5-motor-for-$10" can motors are
replacements for Wollensaks, and they certainly are NOT, further
showing that Noodles is completely ignorant on the subject. They also
will not fit many of the other models he claims they will...typical
fraud by Noodles.

dB
Old December 23rd 04, 09:04 PM
Bluemuse

Geez, dB, my old piano would have driven you nuts. My tuner (who also had
perfect pitch) tuned it to 435 because the strings were so old he was afraid
they'd snap. A few did anyway.

Most gee-tawr basses never get below 82 Hz on their
fundamental on the open E string anyway,

Open E on an electric bass is around 41 Hz. However, down there it's competing
in recordings with the kick drum, so engineers often cut that part of the
electric bass's frequency range and focus on the harmonics and midrange. Done
right, it gives the illusion of a lower note without fighting the kick (and has
the advantage of standing out better in car speakers).

--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin
Old December 23rd 04, 10:34 PM
Yodedude2

(lotsa snips below)...

Kenny G, the much
maligned (rightfully so) flugelhorn noodler, purposely tunes his axe
as much as 20 cents SHARP all the time to make his solos stand out to
insensitive ears.

Hey, those solos stand out to sensitive ears also--just not in a good way.

that elevator music he does
is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, especially when his
accompaniment is on pitch, which they usually are.

What about music by Harry Partch, Terry Riley, or Glenn Branca?

I never know what key the
average bar band is playing in, because most of them don't know how to
tune up, anyway.

Hey now, I tune my ebg before every gig, whether it needs it or not g!

I sympathize with you on the perfect pitch. Relative pitch is so much more
useful. later, ron
Old December 24th 04, 01:02 AM
DeserTBoB

On 23 Dec 2004 21:04:43 GMT, (Bluemuse) wrote:

Geez, dB, my old piano would have driven you nuts. My tuner (who also had
perfect pitch) tuned it to 435 because the strings were so old he was afraid
they'd snap. A few did anyway. snip

Standard Concert Pitch in both the US and Europe changed in the 1930s
from A=435 to A=440, a bit more than a quarter step. This means that
pianos and pipe organs built before that conversion will speak
naturally at A=435 and require some work to get them up to 440. In
the case of the average "family upright" so popular in the early part
of the century, most were tuned at 435 from the factory. There's a
myth that's continued to this day that raising one of these from 435
to 440 will risk collapsing the harp with a calamatous crash, but I've
never seen this happen. Usually, I raise these in a series of four
"pulls" over a week or so BUT, if the strings exhibit rust, I
recommend restringing before attempting it. Usually, in cases where
the piano has resided in improper conditions of humidity, it should be
restrung anyway, as the corrosion would be considerable. I've never
had a harp break due to retuning up 5 Hz, but I can count on rusty
string to do so, even when retuning to 435.

Most gee-tawr basses never get below 82 Hz on their
fundamental on the open E string anyway,

Open E on an electric bass is around 41 Hz. snip

41.203, to be precise. However, MOST (not all) electric basses put
out a lot more second harmonic (81.406) than fundamental, and I
misstated that 81 Hz was the fundamental of the low E. There are
"long" basses and alternative tunings some guys use to get way lower,
but it's rare. Joe

However, down there it's competing
in recordings with the kick drum, so engineers often cut that part of the
electric bass's frequency range and focus on the harmonics and midrange. Done
right, it gives the illusion of a lower note without fighting the kick (and has
the advantage of standing out better in car speakers). snip

That's the very same "mid bass hump" illusion used starting in the
1960s by speaker designers to convince listeners that there was more
bass there than was actually the case. The brain hears the prominent
second harmonic and simply "fills in the blanks" for the fundamental.
Interference with the kick drum makes the bottom sound "muddy" and is
a nightmare for the recording engineer, as the bottom-end power
becomes rather bulky in comparison to the midrange and top end.
Solution? Cut the bottom off the bass; people (well, MOST of them)
won't know the difference. Oldest trick in the book since rock 'n
roll came into being.

dB
Old December 24th 04, 03:40 AM
Yodedude2

I can usually
set the tuning at C or E or A by ear and usually be within a few
cents, which is pretty damned good.

Extraordinary, really.

For temperament, though, I still
have to count and time beats.

dB

How does listening to non-tempered stuff, such as Switched-On Bach, affect you?
later, ron

Old December 24th 04, 07:08 AM
DeserTBoB

On 24 Dec 2004 03:40:57 GMT, (Yodedude2) wrote:

Extraordinary, really. snip

Trust me...it's a curse.

dB

Wollensak value DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 19 October 30th 04 06:00 PM
Wollensak 8075 acavc30 8 Track Tapes 0 December 29th 03 10:49 PM
Wollensak 8050 vs. Akai 80-81-82 NO CONTEST trippin2-8track 8 Track Tapes 0 December 17th 03 11:08 PM