New to Group. Problem with Page Turning on AMI Rowe Model LaserstarCD100-E Jukebox

Old December 17th 08, 01:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default New to Group. Problem with Page Turning on AMI Rowe Model LaserstarCD100-E Jukebox

I bought a AMI Rowe Model Laserstar CD100-E Jukebox about a year ago.
It's awesome...the sound is great and the light show is good. Just
recently I've run in to a problem with the pages turning with the CD
details on them. The pages now only go one way, even if I push the
the each of the buttons (showing different directions), the pages only
go one way, until it is at the end...then no more turning. I tried to
reset the computer by unplugging it for a period of time and then
plugging back in, but to no avail. Any ideas on where to look? I'm
new at repair on these.

Thanks.

Hogey in Toledo
Old December 17th 08, 10:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 17, 10:13*am, wrote:
I bought a AMI Rowe Model Laserstar CD100-E Jukebox about a year ago.
It's awesome...the sound is great and the light show is good. *Just
recently I've run in to a problem with the pages turning with the CD
details on them. *The pages now only go one way, even if I push the
the each of the buttons (showing different directions), the pages only
go one way, until it is at the end...then no more turning. *I tried to
reset the computer by unplugging it for a period of time and then
plugging back in, but to no avail. *Any ideas on where to look? *I'm
new at repair on these.

Thanks.

Hogey in Toledo

Assuming of course it isn't some simple routine problem like dry
solder joints on the back of the CCC or other boards, or bad connector
pins........

This problem I know well as it has really given me the ****s over the
years, sometimes comes and goes by itself.
Have only ever had it on CD100, A but this may be because we have a
lot more of these models on
location than later ones. The later ones ( C+ and self contained wall
mounts) are electrically similar (used a different Motor driver IC,
and had an additional "interface board) that moved the motor driver IC
and switch matrix diodes from the Digital Display board over to the
"interface board" board for some reason.

Had one recently that did this, pages would go to one end, and stay
there
you cant turn them back by using the buttons. Turning on and off
mains power would cure this.
I think it turned in the same direction regardless of which button you
pressed, which probably rules out a button fault.

We replaced the CCC, title rack micro switches, Display unit (Motor
Driver is on the Display unit),
and even the connectors in the motor harness. The problem managed to
re-appear every time, only
varying with how long before it would. (might be a day or a week).
Machine had latest ROM 4.3

Problem in this case lies in the title page motor, there wasn't
anything left to check.
I can suggest that the motor needs to be disassembled, and cleaned,
check brushes etc, arcing on carbon powder worn from brushes etc
inside may have caused electrical problems on the line making the
motor driver IC "latch" in one direction only. (note, IC has 2 inputs,
one sets the direction of motor, other Enables the motor. Its pulsed
at a frequency selected by the CCC, that varies depending on the
"speed" settings in the user menu. When "enable" is inactive, the
motor is dynamically braked.
Old December 20th 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Dec 17, 4:43*am, kreed wrote:
On Dec 17, 10:13*am, wrote:

[...]

I appreciate the response...thanks...I'll try your suggestions...Happy
Holidays.

Regards,

John
Old December 26th 08, 11:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

The previous responder probably had it right but I also own an E and
had the identical problem. I think the manual may have a
troubleshooting procedure. I found it quite hard to troubleshoot as
it was very intermittent and seemed to get worse once it warmed up. I
did not work on the motor but did consider replacing it at one point.

I replaced the motor driver IC and the problem went away. Have not had
a problem for several years now.

regards,
Denny
Old December 27th 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 27, 8:11*am, wrote:
The previous responder probably had it right but I also own an E and
had the identical problem. I think the manual may have a
troubleshooting procedure. *I found it quite hard to troubleshoot as
it was very intermittent and seemed to get worse once it warmed up. I
did not work on the motor but did consider replacing it at one point.

I replaced the motor driver IC and the problem went away. Have not had
a problem for several years now.

regards,
Denny

Even though not relevant to this problem, some of these boards (title
rack interface board) have got resistors in series with the motor
connectors, that tend to overheat to the point of blackening and
burning. I would replace these with higher wattage units while you
are there, to prevent future problems.