Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

Old February 20th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Unscrupulous Dealers and Price Gouging in Seattle?

On Feb 20, 4:44 am, "RWF" wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:11 am, wrote:

On Feb 18, 1:54 pm, "RWF" wrote:

On Feb 16, 1:07 pm, wrote:

There is dealer in my area who got exercised
because I simply ask him if a paperback
was new or used.

Geez palmjob, after going on at length in about a million posts about
how smart and knowledgable you are, one would think you'd be able to
tell the difference between a new and a used paperback!
I guess it's true that self-abuse does diminish one's eyesight!

You are full of beans, as always. It is often absolutely
impossible to tell whether a book is new or "used, like
new." Yes, sometimes books do have that "never been
opened" look and feel. On the other hand, a great many
books have been opened, browsed, thumbed-through,
etc., right in new bookstores. Or, are you going to
invent a rule that states that a book which has sat
on a bookstore's shelves for a while cannot be called
new? Of course, the custom of trade in the book
business does not adhere to any such ridiculous rule,
as you well know. When a book has been owned by
a careful reader, it is often impossible to say from
looking at it whether it is new or "used, like-new."
Yes, you can often tell if a book has been opened, but
you have no way of determining whether it has been
opened by someone glancing through it in a bookstore
or has been opened by a careful reader. So, in your
pathetic attempte at humor, your are blaming me
for not knowing things that no one else could
possibly know either. You're really sort of dumb,
aren't you? A veritable dim bulb! 'Fess up, now...

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

Good old balmy palmy, just making stuff up as you go along, as usual.
Palmjob, you cretin, I know you are a reclusive, anti-social old fart-
sniffer but even a moron like you should have enough knowledge of
human nature to know that if the book looked like it was new, the
dealer would charge you for a new book, not a used one.
You're really sort of dumb, aren't you? A veritable dim bulb!
'Fess up, now...- Hide quoted text -

How typical of a low-wattage bulb like you to hurl
scatological insults when cornered by your own
feeble arguments. No, as a matter of fact the
best used book dearlers do NOT charge cover
price for a paperback simply because it looks
like new. They have found from experience that
their customers favor a consistent pricing policy.
One of the more successful used book dealers
in this area has a consistent "one-half cover
price" policy for all paperbacks, with the
exception of those older ones having a cover
price of $4 or less, for which they charge a
flat $2, whether the original cover was $4 or
$2.95 or whatever. (And also they do charge
more, of course, for vintage collectible p.b.s).
But as for a brand new looking trade paperback --
fiction or non-fiction -- or a mass market paperback,
they charge a standard 50 percent of the cover
price. Since the customers know they are a used
bookstore they would certainly lose business if they
started charging higher rates for paperbacks
simply because the paperbacks looked brand
new. Now, if someone as stupid as you
took over the store, he would suddenly start
charging cover price for every paperback which
looked new, and he would simply drive people
away. Sort of like "Yes, we have thousands
of used paperbacks priced at one-half cover
price, but, as you can see, dear customer,
THAT paperback looks BRAND NEW so
we are going to have to charge you full
cover price." You sound like someone
who has been buying your paperbacks
in big city schlock shops where they would
actually run a business in such a shabby
fashion! But, then, you have already been
revealed to our readers as a -- putting the
matter as charitably as possible --
low-wattage type... Cheers.

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

Old February 20th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, wrote:

No, as a matter of fact the
best used book dearlers do NOT charge cover
price for a paperback simply because it looks
like new.

Palmjob, you drooling imbecile, the whole point of your post was that
the dealer in question was not ranked among "the best used book
dearlers".
You really should pay attention.

Old February 21st 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Feb 20, 2:41 pm, "RWF" wrote:
On Feb 20, 1:42 pm, wrote:

No, as a matter of fact the
best used book dearlers do NOT charge cover
price for a paperback simply because it looks
like new.

Palmjob, you drooling imbecile, the whole point of your post was that
the dealer in question was not ranked among "the best used book
dearlers".
You really should pay attention.

Stop trying to wriggle out of the embarrassing
consequences of your assault on our reader's
intelligence. Anyone reading my posts on this
thread can see I have referred to two different
dealers. And, as a matter of fact, both have
their good points. The first I referred to was
the oddball who orders new paperbacks from
distributors and mixes them in with his used
books. That's fine, if he wants to do that,
but he should expect that customers will
regularly ask him if a paperback is new,
or "used, like new." Of course, if it is the
latter, and the paperback is not out-of-print,
customers will not expect to pay new book
prices.

The other used book dealer I referred to was
the once who charges a flat 50 percent of
cover for paperbacks. That was where
you started blathering some nonsense to the
effect that he was foolish for charging only
half price for a paperback which looked new.
You proved you were too dim to grasp the
fact that a consistent pricing policy regarding
used paperbacks (whether they look brand
new or not) serves him better than a policy of
grsping for cover price simply because a used
paperback looks new. Say, you ARE incredibly
dim-witted aren't you? I realized from glancing
through some of your previous posts posts that
you were no Einstein, to say the least. but
now that you have been making a fool of
yourself over and over on this thread with your
feeble arguments and puerile name-calling
fits, it has become plain that you are a
certifiable dullard. Have a WONDERFUL
day.

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

Old February 21st 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

On Feb 20, 7:17 pm, wrote:
I realized from glancing
through some of your previous posts posts that
you were no Einstein, to say the least. but
now that you have been making a fool of
yourself over and over on this thread with your
feeble arguments and puerile name-calling
fits, it has become plain that you are a
certifiable dullard. Have a WONDERFUL
day.

There goes balmy palmy talking about himself again!
Self abuse is indeed a cruel master, eh palmjob?

Old March 2nd 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
seattle_bookseller

This post is a complete canard and an thinly veiled personal attack.
It appears to be part of a stalking/harassment campaign that has
nothing to do with my person or business. Though I take is as
actionable slander. I have never communicated with this individual
in any way, shape or form. I challenge to him to produce any evidence
of his ridiculous claims, (with headers) from my paid yahoo account,
. He can't - as what he claims I have
said simply never happened. I have never emailed, mailed or phoned
this person. He is lying to you. He has never been a customer of
mine, nor have I made any such comments.

I have 94% + feedback on amazon, over 365 days. I have 99.6% +
feedback lifetime on ebay with the same customer service and
policies. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed genuinely brand new, as
I purchased them directly from the publisher.

Here is real feedback from Seattle_Bookseller:

Comment From Date / Time Item #
Positive feedback rating
Books are great and delivery was fast!!!

Buyer l10driver( 182Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Mar-02-07 03:05 300040463308
Positive feedback rating
Excellent! (grandson is Very pleased)

Buyer matthewdeming( 1058Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Mar-01-07 22:30 300040607752
Positive feedback rating
thanks for the book

Buyer 55whitewolf( 33Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Mar-01-07 15:02 300040587361
Positive feedback rating
everything fine, thanks!!!

Buyer timothy-22( 470Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Mar-01-07 09:43 300040451953
Positive feedback rating
everything fine, thanks!!!

Buyer timothy-22( 470Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Mar-01-07 09:42 290063148009
Positive feedback rating
Alles bestens, prima Ware, netter Kontakt. Meine Empfehlung!

Buyer jerrelito( 1376Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Mar-01-07 07:43 300040599309
Positive feedback rating
Excellent buy, A+++

Buyer rrsant3( 28Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-28-07 23:54 290078199742
Positive feedback rating
Very pleased with item and transaction!

Buyer khsbrahma( 1311Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-28-07 15:22 300040604778
Positive feedback rating
Great Product price and service. Thanks!

Buyer steve74( 1006Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-28-07 11:50 290067625510
Positive feedback rating
thanks. might have recieved it.... ordered too many to remember

Buyer kajzoo211( 9 ) New eBay Member (less than 30 days)
Feb-28-07 10:45 300040506133
Positive feedback rating
great seller, fast!!!!!!

Buyer hardwaycooke( 708Feedback score is 500 to 999)
Feb-28-07 05:56 300060526942
Positive feedback rating
perfect deal

Buyer buynowordie( 199Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-27-07 15:56 290081129265
Positive feedback rating
Received very fast. thanks. better than expected.

Buyer granmom55( 33Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-27-07 15:43 290084427194
Positive feedback rating
Received very fast. thanks. Better than expeacted.

Buyer granmom55( 33Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-27-07 15:43 290084427195
Positive feedback rating
Very fast delivery, Item well packaged, Will buy from again, Thankyou.

Buyer mlmanier( 523Feedback score is 500 to 999)
Feb-27-07 11:24 300040461855
Positive feedback rating
A1, Highest Recommendation of Seller, Great Book, Fast Shipping.
Thanks

Buyer skullcottage( 2321Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-27-07 11:17 300040567801
Positive feedback rating
Item Received, packed well thanks

Buyer vvjw( 167Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-27-07 10:20 290074598216
Positive feedback rating
Book as described, packed well, pleased with transaction.

Buyer jspiritw( 38Feedback score is 10 to 49)
Feb-27-07 07:47 290063749756
Positive feedback rating
Good seller! Nice Sheet Music! Thanks so much!

Buyer palmtreelady2( 207Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-27-07 03:32 300040507192
Positive feedback rating
Nice item Thanks

Buyer shootingstar8610( 2 ) New eBay Member (less than 30 days)
Feb-26-07 23:08 290076789328
Positive feedback rating
EXCELLENT merchandise, fast fast fast response, super ebayer !!!
Rating: AAA+

Buyer muckett16( 227Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-26-07 16:45 340160069529
Positive feedback rating
Thank you! Excellent service!

Buyer corkyoddler( 22Feedback score is 10 to 49) Changed User ID
(less than 30 days)
Feb-26-07 15:33 290081857060
Positive feedback rating
pleasure to do business AAA+++Outstanding E-Bayer

Buyer galaxyzerozerozero( 1550Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)
Feb-25-07 14:35 290079967510
Positive feedback rating
good service

Buyer josierippey47( 107Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Feb-25-07 14:23 300049502672
Positive feedback rating
Perfect transaction - Everything is as expected - Recommended -
Thanks!

Feedback Sco 502
Positive Feedback: 99.6%
Members who left a positive: 504
Members who left a negative: 2
All positive feedback received: 570

5 out of 5: "the book came much faster than promised"
Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: dmau1668
5 out of 5: "Love the book, as described, super fast shipping too,
thanks!"
Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: blahblahblah2005
5 out of 5: "great seller, fast shipping"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: ieputranto
4 out of 5: "Book was a little worse for ware then stated, but not
bad."
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Christopher A.
5 out of 5: "book arrived as described, on time"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: combsie
5 out of 5: "Service was great"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Yesica N.
5 out of 5: "I found it astonoshing the speed of delivery, I mean i
contacted you in USA on Tuesday and I recieved the book in the west of
ruaral Ireland on Thursday , a little over 2 days , Local post here
may take a week. Thank you."
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: MICHAEL L.
5 out of 5: "Swift and in good condition"
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: Aimee Z.
5 out of 5: "great goods,,,,,nice"
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: jeffery w.
4 out of 5: "the book was in good condition however I shipping took
longer than expected - with an expedited purchase."
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: Erica G.
5 out of 5: "arrived in perfect condition"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: lboyle37
5 out of 5: "Great working with this company!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Amber S.
5 out of 5: "Very efficient service!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Bradford D.
5 out of 5: "Arrived before the delivery estimate in good shape!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: magnusretail
5 out of 5: "no problems"
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer:

5 out of 5: "Shipped quickly and accurately."
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: rdavidgross
5 out of 5: "The book came very fast and was in great condition for
the price!"
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: Silas C.

- Amy, Seattle_Bookseller

Old March 2nd 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
seattle_bookseller

On Feb 10, 9:43 am, "Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)"
wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:40 am, "my-wings" wrote:

"Stone Mirror (the Great and Terrible)" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

And that, my friend, is why serious collectors often support specific
sellers over a period of years, even if it means they pay a small premium in
the pricing over what the same titles in the same condition would bring in
other venues. They do it because they know they can trust the seller to
accurately describe the books, to stand behind their products, and to price
fairly, even if not at the cheapest price.

Thanks for your comments! Especially when buying rare stuff, having an
honest dealer is critical. The feedback for "seattle_bookseller" on
Amazon, at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...980-6174318?ie...

seems to support the notion that this business is best avoided.
Negative feedback is 8% in just the last month, and there have been
complaints about the condition of books being seriously misrepresented
(this was the issue that caused the fracas with this person last
time), non-delivery, delivery of less than was purchased (e.g. one
volume out of ten, ten out of twelve, etc.)

The thinly veiled attempt to slander and harm my business that started
this thread is the work of one David Shlesinger, a stalker and nutjob
from Santa Cruz, CA and a fired employee of Palmsource, Inc.
Seattle_Bookseller never contacted him in any form - not by email,
phone, post etc. He is lying. He consistently mistakes other people
for his nemesis, this "Jason Christopher Hughes" aka "Marsupial". I
would like to see him reproduce any kind of email from my business,
with headers from yahoo - which is the yahoo account I pay for,
. This communication does not exist. It
appears that the comments he references came from anonymous posts on
some blog. My amazon.com feedback is 94% + for 365 days. This is the
equal of or better than most of the large retailers on amazon.com. My
ebay feedback for the same customer base and same policies is 99.6%
positive. I do not live in or operate out of Texas. You are being
misled by a deranged and vicious con artist with a most definite ax to
grind that has nothing at all to do with books. And it has nothing to
do with myself, or Seattle_Bookseller. This thread is a slime job,
and it is part of an on going harassment/stalking attempt on the part
of Mr. Schlesinger. My copies of 'Picatrix' are indeed truly brand new
as I got them directly from the publisher. They have not so much as
been opened! Schlesinger never, ever bought anything from me. He has
no right to come and slander my business. Would you like to see how
incredibly childish, vile and mentally unbalanced the 59 year old
David Schelsinger is?

Here is one of his stalking websites, in all its puerile glory:

http://www.shugendo.org/marsupial/index.htm

Schlesinger maintains several of these sites, for the many people he
is criminally harassing.

Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: dmau1668
Date: 3/1/2007 Rated by Buyer: blahblahblah2005
5 out of 5: "great seller, fast shipping"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: ieputranto
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Christopher A.
5 out of 5: "book arrived as described, on time"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: combsie
5 out of 5: "Service was great"
Date: 2/28/2007 Rated by Buyer: Yesica N.
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: MICHAEL L.
5 out of 5: "Swift and in good condition"
Date: 2/27/2007 Rated by Buyer: Aimee Z.
5 out of 5: "great goods,,,,,nice"
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: jeffery w.
Date: 2/26/2007 Rated by Buyer: Erica G.
5 out of 5: "arrived in perfect condition"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: lboyle37
5 out of 5: "Great working with this company!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Amber S.
5 out of 5: "Very efficient service!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: Bradford D.
5 out of 5: "Arrived before the delivery estimate in good shape!"
Date: 2/25/2007 Rated by Buyer: magnusretail
5 out of 5: "no problems"
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer:
5 out of 5: "Shipped quickly and accurately."
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: rdavidgross
Date: 2/24/2007 Rated by Buyer: Silas C.

- Amy, Seattle_Bookseller

Old March 2nd 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RWF

On Mar 2, 10:45 am, "seattle_bookseller"
wrote:
this thread is the work of one David Shlesinger, a stalker and nutjob
from Santa Cruz, CA and a fired employee of Palmsource, Inc.

Palmsource, eh?
I knew palmjob had to come from somewhere!