Plymouth Publishing Company, New York

Old March 9th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Plymouth Publishing Company, New York

I have a copy of "The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe", Plymouth Publishing
Company, New York, "Midnight Edition", no date, no copyright information of any
kind, 4 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches, flexible red textured faux leather boards,
frontispiece with tissue, printed on Nelson india paper, three sections, each
with multiple parts, in one volume, gilt top edge, gilt on spine and front board.

I am trying to determine when it was published. So far I can find nothing on
the Plymouth Publishing Company in New York. I found what I think was a false
lead about an entity of that name in Plymouth, Pennsylvania in the 1860s. The
words "Midnight Edition" express to me that this was a pirate publication, so
maybe there is not a lot of information about the company (though I suppose with
Poe, maybe it just means it will scare you to read it late at night). AB
Bookman's list does not mention the company either.

Any information would be welcome.

Francis A. Miniter
Old March 9th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
I have a copy of "The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe", Plymouth
Publishing Company, New York, "Midnight Edition", no date, no copyright
information of any kind, 4 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches, flexible red textured
faux leather boards, frontispiece with tissue, printed on Nelson india
paper, three sections, each with multiple parts, in one volume, gilt top
edge, gilt on spine and front board.
[snip]

I'm afraid all the help I can offer is negative. Plymouth Publishing
Company is not mentioned in Zempel & Verkler, Charles Madison's _Book
Publishing in America_, or Madeleine Stern's _Imprints on History_.

There are three other titles at ABE listed as published by a Plymouth
Publishing Co in NY, from the 1940s to 1970. There's certainly the
possibility of a connection to your book, but not much useful info for
further leads.

There's always the hard way: Searching through 19th/early-20th Century
NYC business directories.

--Jon Meyers
Old March 9th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
[...]

....and there's been many publishers by that company. A
current vanity press, a Washington DC job bulletin company,
etc.

If one's a book detective, it might be fun to chase it down.

Kris

Old March 9th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

I have a copy of "The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe", Plymouth Publishing
Company, New York, "Midnight Edition", no date, no copyright information of any
kind, 4 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches, flexible red textured faux leather boards,
frontispiece with tissue, printed on Nelson india paper, three sections, each
with multiple parts, in one volume, gilt top edge, gilt on spine and front board.

Any information would be welcome.

OCLC has three entries for what is likely the same book. One says
"1900s," another says "1920," and the third says "1920-1929?".

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old March 11th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

William M. Klimon wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:

I have a copy of "The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe", Plymouth Publishing
Company, New York, "Midnight Edition", no date, no copyright information of any
kind, 4 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches, flexible red textured faux leather boards,
frontispiece with tissue, printed on Nelson india paper, three sections, each
with multiple parts, in one volume, gilt top edge, gilt on spine and front board.

Any information would be welcome.

OCLC has three entries for what is likely the same book. One says
"1900s," another says "1920," and the third says "1920-1929?".

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Thank you. That is a resource I do not have access to. Since the book is
pretty good condition, a 20th C. date makes more sense than a 19th C. date.

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 11th 16, 05:58 AM
Sael Moga Sael Moga is offline
Junior Member

I have the same book, only the cover on mine is black with gold imprints.
I have no other information regarding it.
Old September 12th 16, 05:14 PM
Dean A. James Dean A. James is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Baker View Post
"Jon Meyers" et wrote in message
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
[...]

Here is an interesting clue! I also have this same book. However, on mine the spine has broken loose from the front cover thereby allowing the spine cover to fully flap back toward the back cover. What I see is very interesting! It is a typewritten page of similar paper to that which the entirety of the book is printed on and it appears to be part of an article written about syphilis. It mentions Wasserman and a Kohlmer Technique. How or why this was used within the construct of the spine cover is interesting. Dr. John A. Kohlmer is found in the Medical Record of The New York Academy of Medicine in 1921 & 1922. I have yet to locate that exact page but it is safe to say that at this point, it appears that this book of works by Poe was printed sometime after 1921 or 1922.