Transposing dust jackets

Old January 18th 16, 07:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Transposing dust jackets

Hi,

I'm a bit new to collecting, so forgive me if this is a bit outrageous. Suppose you had a very special copy of a book, say, with an inscription, but the dust jacket was less than fine. If you were able to acquire another copy of the book of the exact edition, with a perfect dust jacket, which you checked was exactly the same as the one you had on the original, could you switch the dustjackets?

I somehow think this is reasonable because people talk about checking that the dustjacket is first issue as well as the book, the value of the dustjacket vs the value of the book. I think this is a good way to add value to a signed copy and also have a reading copy.

There might be an issue if say the dustjacket is chipped and the spine is faded where the dj is chipped.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old January 19th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Joe Mc

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with that. There are quite a few First state dustjackets being sold on ebay without the book for this purpose.
Old January 29th 16, 10:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
OldBob

On 1/19/2016 12:33 PM, Joe Mc wrote:
As far as I know there is nothing wrong with that. There are quite a few First state dustjackets being sold on ebay without the book for this purpose.

I concur. As long as the DJ is from an identical edition, who's to know?

Peculiar dust jackets, part 17 William M. Klimon Books 2 June 5th 04 12:56 PM
SABRES JACKETS 1970'S CarpenterBob51 Hockey 0 April 11th 04 02:37 PM
Who wants Blue Jackets? Hockey 0 January 13th 04 02:53 PM
Jukebox Jackets Dennis Lavin Juke Boxes 10 November 24th 03 05:03 PM
facsimile dust jackets Jason Bennett Books 4 September 25th 03 10:29 AM