New collector

Old February 12th 14, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default New collector

Over the past 8 months, I have begun collecting first editions. It all started when my in-laws handed me their John Grisham books. I knew enough to check out the copyright page and it turns out all of them were first printings. Over the past 8 months I have picked up a total of about 20 first printings and first editions (in various printings). My prize thus far is a first printing of Clancy's Patriot Games. As a very new collector, I am looking towards the future. I realize that finding a first printing of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is probably not in my immediate future or budget; however, who should I be looking for now? Thus far, Ive collected King, Crichton, Clancy, and aforementioned Grisham.
Old February 14th 14, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 2/12/2014 2:44 PM, wrote:
Over the past 8 months, I have begun collecting first editions. It all started when my in-laws handed me their John Grisham books. I knew enough to check out the copyright page and it turns out all of them were first printings. Over the past 8 months I have picked up a total of about 20 first printings and first editions (in various printings). My prize thus far is a first printing of Clancy's Patriot Games. As a very new collector, I am looking towards the future. I realize that finding a first printing of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is probably not in my immediate future or budget; however, who should I be looking for now? Thus far, Ive collected King, Crichton, Clancy, and aforementioned Grisham.

Book collecting is a never ending process of learning and expanding your
reading interests and knowledge. I have been engaged in the process for
more than 50 years. The more you know, the more you can knowledgeably
collect. So, reading widely and deeply may be the best way to become a
collector.

I have a few simple rules.

The first is: Do Not Collect Books You Are Not Interested In.
If you do, you end up with a collection of books that you would never
read and take up space on your shelves.

The second is: Try to Learn All You Can About the Author.
I just posted about an author new to me before writing this post. A
little research and something that was a mystery to me when I got it (in
a lot with other books I wanted) became an exciting bit of literary
history.

The other day I saw a book entitled The Gathering of Zion: The Story of
the Mormon Trail by Wallace Stegner. Now if I had not known that
Wallace Stegner was famous for The Angle of Repose which won the
Pulitzer in 1972 (granted I already have a number of his books), I might
not have pulled the book off the shelf. And I would have missed that he
not only signed the book, but inscribed it to an in-law of his son Page.

Also, I should note that determining what constitutes a first edition
before the arrival in the lates 1970s of the number coding system
requires both knowledge and resources. I recommend that you do an
online search for "Identification of First Editions". There are some
excellent resources out there.

Then there are some good pocket sized guide books, such as Bill
McBride's Points of Issue, which helps you distinguish the true first
from other copies of the first printing. One of my favorites is Lew
Wallace's Ben Hur, the first state of which has the following
dedication: "To the Wife of My Youth". Apparently, Wallace brought
home a copy for his wife after the first day of the printing. The rest
of the run contains the following dedication: "To the Wife of My Youth,
With Whom I Still Abide."

Francis A. Miniter

Old February 14th 14, 03:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin

Over the past 8 months, I have begun collecting first editions.
It all started when my in-laws handed me their John Grisham books.
I knew enough to check out the copyright page and it turns out
all of them were first printings. Over the past 8 months I have
picked up a total of about 20 first printings and first editions
(in various printings). My prize thus far is a first printing of
Clancy's Patriot Games. As a very new collector, I am looking
towards the future. I realize that finding a first printing of
Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is probably not in my immediate
future or budget; however, who should I be looking for now? Thus
far, Ive collected King, Crichton, Clancy, and aforementioned
Grisham.

It makes sense to collect stuff in a category you're actually
interested in. But what you've got there is one where there's
a lot of competition, so it's going to take a lot of effort and
a lot of money to accumulate much. Do you have an interest in
something less popular? Books about garden tools and machinery,
for example?

I have thousands of books but I'm not really a collector of
anything in particular. I guess I might go for Ethel Mannin
if I could actually find any more than I've already got, as
I really like what I've read of her work and she's almost
totally forgotten - kinda feminist equivalent of Aldous Huxley.
(She's not likely to appreciate in value in my lifetime, either;
I wouldn't be doing it as an investment).

Old August 29th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 11:44:34 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Over the past 8 months, I have begun collecting first editions. It all started when my in-laws handed me their John Grisham books. I knew enough to check out the copyright page and it turns out all of them were first printings. Over the past 8 months I have picked up a total of about 20 first printings and first editions (in various printings). My prize thus far is a first printing of Clancy's Patriot Games. As a very new collector, I am looking towards the future. I realize that finding a first printing of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is probably not in my immediate future or budget; however, who should I be looking for now? Thus far, I've collected King, Crichton, Clancy, and aforementioned Grisham.

As a long time book collector, if I had a chance to make any changes to my "collecting habit". it would be to have determined an area of specialization much earlier on in my collection. At first, I focused on first edition/first printing/hard back copies of books with excellent dust jackets - primarily novels. I then started focusing on books that meant something to me - that I would most likely read in the future. Then came signed books - then came fine bound or small press editions (once again signed copies - if possible). I eventually collected authors whose books had impressed me in the past - looking towards the day when I'd have enough reading time to enjoy all the new additions.

This rather lackadaisical approach left me with a collection in excess of 5000 books on tons of bookcases and a broad topic range. Had I had the forethought to focus on a narrower range of books, my collection would be "tighter" and more focused.

This is meant as a suggestion for the beginner collector from an "old timer". In any case, enjoy your collection and acquisitions.

You will find a broad range of collecting information on my blog www.bookcollecting101.com. Stop by and check it out. I even have a new Directory for book sellers to advertise their books and for collectors to post their "wanted" lists.

new collector vik Coins 0 April 13th 05 09:30 AM
new collector vik Coins 0 April 13th 05 09:29 AM
new collector vik Paper Money 0 April 13th 05 09:09 AM
New Collector. NizateTX Coins 8 August 25th 04 02:40 AM
Collector to Collector is a good answer CARDS OLD Baseball 0 June 9th 04 04:56 AM