How far will they fly?

Old December 23rd 03, 12:21 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default How far will they fly?

And when will they arrive? ;-)

In the 320 e-mails I got while in Vegas (Do the buffet at Bellagio!) was
a notice from the US Mint. They say the First Flight Half Dollars I
ordered on 10/16 were shipped 12/18.

Since the flight recreation was a bellyflop, I'm hoping that this
package will do better. ;-)

Alan
'watching today's mailbox'
Old December 23rd 03, 12:27 PM
Larry Louks

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:
And when will they arrive? ;-)

Keep the faith, brother! Those two that I ordered on 10/02/03 arrived here
yesterday.

Larry
'Quite surprised, and stoked'

Old December 24th 03, 01:07 AM
Coin Saver

From: Bob Rudd

Since the flight recreation was a bellyflop

What!!!??!! Please tell me you are not serious!!!!

Yup, he's serious. It failed twice. O&W Wright had gotten fortunate that day
in 1903 to have a favorable but not too strong wind. This year, no such
benefit.

One of the builders pointed out that, with today's technology, it would have
been a snap to build an airplane which would definitely fly, and *look like*
the original, but they decided to build an "exact replica" ... which was their
undoing in this re-enactment. The motors were 12 hp kerosene engines ...

8-l

Coin Saver
Old December 24th 03, 02:06 AM
Steven Preston

I received my clad proof half today; however, the remaining two Wildlife
Refuge medals won't ship until late January and late February (from the
mint e-mail I received). Unbelievable.

-Steve, if the US Mint ran Christmas, Santa would
arrive just after Arbor Day.

Old December 24th 03, 02:39 AM
Dale Hallmark

From: Bob Rudd

Since the flight recreation was a bellyflop

What!!!??!! Please tell me you are not serious!!!!

Yup, he's serious. It failed twice. O&W Wright had gotten fortunate that

day
in 1903 to have a favorable but not too strong wind. This year, no such
benefit.

One of the builders pointed out that, with today's technology, it would

have
been a snap to build an airplane which would definitely fly, and *look

like*
the original, but they decided to build an "exact replica" ... which was

their
undoing in this re-enactment. The motors were 12 hp kerosene engines ...

8-l

Coin Saver

If I remember Wright
that is the 1902 flyer. The one that is most often identified with
the Wright bros is the 1909 flyer. The 1909 one could have flown however it
was not the first..

Dale

Old December 24th 03, 03:10 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Steven Preston wrote:

I received my clad proof half today; however, the remaining two Wildlife
Refuge medals won't ship until late January and late February (from the
mint e-mail I received). Unbelievable.

-Steve, if the US Mint ran Christmas, Santa would
arrive just after Arbor Day.

I'm still coinless. ;-(

I'm not sending them any milk and cookies.

Alan
'Air-Mailed in a Curtis jenny'
Old December 24th 03, 05:11 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:21:21 GMT, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

And when will they arrive? ;-)

In the 320 e-mails I got while in Vegas (Do the buffet at Bellagio!)

The Bellagio is sweet, the Paris is pretty good for food as well.