Getting the Public to Use Half Dollars and Dollars

Old November 20th 03, 03:03 AM
DyzeeGF3

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:38:08 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Using cash is fine, as long as they're careful where they flash those
wallets with the hundreds packed in there.

Sensible advice regardless of one's payment method. Flashing an ATM
card is practically advertising "force me to go with you to the ATM
and withdraw wads of cash!"

Most ATMs have a limit to the cash you can withdraw in one day, or one
weekend...usually about $500. So, there really isn't much difference.

Old November 20th 03, 06:42 AM
A.E. Gelat

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:38:45 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

I still don't see what this has to do with their
preference not to have a credit card or checking account.

Cultural differences. You try placing your money in a bank in a
country that revaluates its currency every couple years. Such a
mindset takes some time to get over.

There are other reasons, such as not qualifying for a credit card, not
wanting to pay a $12 monthly fee for a small average blance account, etc.

Of course. I suspect an illegal immigrant wouldn't want to bother.

I did not have illegals on my mind. There are many WASPS, blacks, Hispanics
that cannot qualify

Tony

Culture has nothing to with it.

It has more to do with it than you might think.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

Old November 20th 03, 07:22 AM
Andrew W Applegarth

Padraic Brown wrote in
:

wrote:

Using cash is fine, as long as they're careful where they flash those
wallets with the hundreds packed in there.

Sensible advice regardless of one's payment method. Flashing an ATM
card is practically advertising "force me to go with you to the ATM
and withdraw wads of cash!"

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

1) You can't tell by looking at the ATM card how much money is in the
account. Besides the daily withdrawl limit, which may already have been
hit, you might pick somebody like me who spent all their money on diapers
and has about $40 in the account until payday (or another diaper run
drops it lower).

2) ATM machines have cameras in them. Also, they are often in areas
with additional security or cameras.

3) It means traveling with the victim to another location to retrieve
the money.

I'm sure there are many more, but these jumped right out at me when I
read your post.

- Andrew W Applegarth
Old November 20th 03, 12:44 PM
Bob Peterson

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:53:17 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Sure. They get jobs, though...

Well, let's hope so! And they better be good ones if they're gonna be
able to afford to carry all those hundred dollar bills to Best Buy for
that washing machine.

Some are, some aren't. Construction, handyman services, plant
management (janitorial services), landscaping, child care,
housekeeping, take your pick!

I still don't see what this has to do with their
preference not to have a credit card or checking account.

Cultural differences. You try placing your money in a bank in a
country that revaluates its currency every couple years. Such a
mindset takes some time to get over.

There are other reasons, such as not qualifying for a credit card, not
wanting to pay a $12 monthly fee for a small average blance account, etc.
Culture has nothing to with it.

$12 a month? Who is stupid enough to pay that much for a checking account,
even with no balance?

Note that I'm not saying they nèver have credit cards or checking
accounts.

Old November 20th 03, 12:45 PM
Bob Peterson

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:46:44 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Padraic Brown wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:29:12 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

But each decade has brought new
ways to make this spending more convenient, safe, and efficient.

Different certainly. Not much safer and certainly no more efficient!

Credit cards, checks, and electronic transfers are not much safer or
more efficient than using cash????

Way too susceptible to hackers. I know. My oh so safe ATM linked
checking account was hacked to the tune of several hundred dollars. I
don't know the results of the bank's investigation, though they made
good on my loss.

I bet no one makes good when you lose a brass buck.

Can't hack a Jackson (and unless the counterfiet is really good, most
collector types can pick out a fake).

I guess there's no point discussing this further with you.

Could be. There's never much point in these silly cash v. credit card
discussions anyway! Same goes for penny v. cent and cash v. credit
card in the grocery store queue. Some interesting points of view,
mind! But nothing substantive is said or done.

You can always get a paper certificate.

Try it.

I know they don't like giving them up, but it can certainly be done.

Paid your phone and electric bill at the corner drug store?

Can be done at the bank, and quite a few shops I've seen.

Ever try using a check or paying online?

The former, yes. The latter, no. I have bought things online, however.
Not a preferred method.

Even received an actual salary check (although this hasn't
disappeared yet, more and more employers aren't paying that way)

I could change from direct deposit to a regular check if I wanted to.
I chose DD so I wouldn't have to schlep down to the cashier's office
to pick up a check on a day off.

Hey! You're starting to see my point. See where the trend is heading?

I already understand your point, and I disagree with it. Direct
deposit checking has nothing to do with our becomming a cashless
society. All it means is I now have to go to the ATM or write a check
to "Cash" if I want to get some money.

Old November 20th 03, 02:57 PM
Steve Okonski

bob peterson wrote:

no one is going to use halves in normal commerce no matter what so you
might as well drop the coin and make a few bux off selling a new half
dollar coin to collectors every year.

Clearly everyone would again use 50 cent pieces if we could just
convince a modern music star, say a rapper, to name himself after
it...
Old November 20th 03, 07:38 PM
DyzeeGF3

I bet no one makes good when you lose a brass buck.

Oh no! A dollar! I'm ruined!

You can lose FRNs too, the wind took one of mine today as I was putting away
my change from a food stand purchase.

Old November 21st 03, 07:05 AM
Wheeler

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Ami . wrote:
What are your ideas on getting the public to widely use half dollar
and dollar coins in everyday transactions?

We would then have MLK Halves and Kennedy Golden Dollars.

Not a chance. The only way to get the public to use dollar coins is to
discontinue the rag buck.

SNIP
My idea for the half is to
discontinue JFK, and make the half a circulating commemorative, with the
design changing every year.

SNIP
--
Bob

That has to be one of the best ideas that I have heard yet. As far
as the dollar coin goes, I try to keep some with me and use them
every day.

Roscoe. Email: Ebay- 1Wheeler,
ICQ- 876749, Yahoo Messenger: Wheeler72512
Old November 21st 03, 07:19 AM
Wheeler

Chris S wrote:

SNIP

I'm with you. I'd eliminate $1 bills, $2 bills, halves, nickels, and
cents. We could probably do without $50 bills also, but I'd keep dimes
for now. If the Mint and BEP found it profitable to sell the
eliminated denominations as collector-only issues, fine. But America
would be better off not circulating unnecessary denominations.

--Chris

Chris
I do not think that you really meant what you just posted. If you
got rid of the bills and coins that you just mentioned, we would
have the dime, quarter and one dollar coin. Bills would start at
$5.00 Now I could do with getting rid of the rag dollar. but with
what you want to stop producing, you would have to round off to the
nearest dime..... Have you been watching the post about getting rid
of the one cent and rounding to the nickel? You will be getting hate
mail if those people talking about rounding to the nickel sees this
post ;-)

Roscoe. Email: Ebay- 1Wheeler,
ICQ- 876749, Yahoo Messenger: Wheeler72512
*** All Email, Incoming, Outgoing and their attachments,
scanned for viruses by Norton Antivirus ***

BU roll 2001D Half dollars [email protected] Coins 0 November 3rd 03 01:06 AM
1964 Kennedy half dollars????????? Tomk10 Coins 1 September 1st 03 09:33 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM
Barber half dollars Mr Bob Coins 1 July 12th 03 05:02 AM
Barber half dollars Mr Bob Coins 0 July 12th 03 04:13 AM