Getting the Public to Use Half Dollars and Dollars

Old November 18th 03, 08:41 PM
ELurio

Kennedy's sister was on a commemerative dollar while still alive.

What dollar was that? I have never heard of it. It must nave been a
private medal,
not a coin. Correct me if I am wrong. BRBR

Special Olympics. Eunice Shriver was on the obverse and it wasn't a good
portrait.

eric l.
Old November 18th 03, 08:42 PM
Joe Fischer

"A.E. Gelat" wrote:

I have proposed several times a nickel-sized dollar coin. ALL vending
machines accept a nickel, but the dollar coin would be heavier, I assume,
and not be confused with the nickel.

I have proposed several times the congress should have
declared the cent to be the new dollar coin and be worth a dollar,
that would have saved the government minting new dollar coins,
and everybody, the government, Federal Reserve Bank, Banks
and the public would have benefited alike.

This should have satisfied the proponents of eliminating
the cent, and those worrying about the cost of printing dollar
bills, but not one person here thought it was a good idea.
I guess they think the government or the mint should
be the ones to profit from the creation or change of money.

It still is a good idea, even if I do have 50,000 pennies. :-)

Joe Fischer

Old November 18th 03, 09:15 PM
Steve Okonski

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Steve Okonski wrote:
The rule about "no living person depicted on coinage"

There's no such rule. Indeed, as recently as 1996 a living person was
depicted on a coin (the infamous Shriver dollar). While it's unlikely
that any living person will be depicted on circulating coinage, there's
no rule or law preventing it.

Hmm, well, I learned something. Musta been thinking that due to the
similar rules for stamps. Even so, I'd like to see such a rule: wait
25 or so years, and if the person is still worthy, only then depict
them on coinage.
Old November 18th 03, 09:22 PM
Sam F.

"ELurio" wrote...
Kennedy's sister was on a commemerative dollar while still alive.

What dollar was that? I have never heard of it. It must nave been a
private medal,
not a coin. Correct me if I am wrong. BRBR

Special Olympics. Eunice Shriver was on the obverse and it wasn't a good
portrait.

eric l.

That portrait of Eunice took first place as ugliest woman on a US coin...
SBA is
now only in second place.. hehe..

The sad thing, is the First Lady of California, Maria, is showing that she
will look very
much as her mother does when she gets older.. I feel sorry for Arnold!

Sam F.

Old November 18th 03, 09:35 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

"ELurio" wrote in message
Kennedy's sister was on a commemerative dollar while still alive.

What dollar was that? I have never heard of it. It must nave been a
private medal,
not a coin. Correct me if I am wrong. BRBR

Special Olympics. Eunice Shriver was on the obverse and it wasn't a good
portrait.

That's right. And Eunice Shriver is the mother-in-law of Arnold
Schwarzenegger who is now the governor of Kelly-fornia.

Actually, there are other people on commemoratives who were alive at teh
time the commemorative was issued.

Calvin Coolidge was on the Sesquicentennial of American Independence in 1926
while he was still President.

Sen. Joseph T. Robinson (1857-1949) was on the 1936 Robinson Arkansas
Centennial.

http://www.uspresidency.com/ussenate...TRobinson.com/

And Sen. Carter Glass (1858-1946), known as "Father of the Federal
Reserve", is on the Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial of 1936 died in May 1946.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../archive/junki
e042001.htm

And from the U. S. Mint Website:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...=yes&action=fu
n_facts7

"Governor T.E. Kilby: The obverse of the 1921 Alabama Centennial (Note:
This is the first time a living person's portrait was used on a U.S. coin.)"

This covers them all according to the mint.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Old November 18th 03, 10:02 PM
note.boy

I live in Scotland and only The Royal Bank Of Scotland is still
producing £1 notes, the other two banks stopped in 1988.

£1 coins are seen a lot more often in circulation than £1 notes, I would
estimate at a ratio of 10 to 1 in favour of the coin.

Note collectors wonder when the last Scottish £1 note will stop being
produced by the Royal Bank, with each new issue/date we think it's going
to be the last. Billy

ELurio wrote:

In the UK £1 coins are used by the majority of the population on a daily
basis, it will be no different in the USA if the $1 note gets the heave
ho, the $1 coin will take its place, with a bit of fuss of course as it
is the USA public who seem to very much against change in the
notes/coins if posts here are anything to go by. BRBR

That's only in England and Wales. In Scotland and Northern Ireland they still
use £1 notes and it would be interesting how well the coins are accepted up
there.

eric l.

Old November 18th 03, 10:03 PM
note.boy

If a purchase is over £5 then a combination of notes and coins may be
used to pay, if the buyer has any £1 coins, reducing the amount that the
buyer has to carry.

If the purchase is under £5 and the buyer has enough £1 coins then he
will use those to pay, again reducing the amount to carry.

It's not rocket science to reduce the number of, fairly heavy, £1 coins
you have to carry around.

If someone pockets rip under the weight of £1 coins they are carrying
then I would suggest that the number of £1 coins they are carrying is
higher than their IQ. :-) Billy

Anka Z wrote:

Billy wrote:

"In the UK £1 coins are used by the majority of the population on a
daily
basis, it will be no different in the USA if the $1 note gets the
heave
ho, the $1 coin will take its place, with a bit of fuss of course as
it
is the USA public who seem to very much against change in the
notes/coins if posts here are anything to go by.

I suspect that the views of the general public in the USA will be
different from the coin collectors posting here as a collector's view
will be different from the majority of non collectors."

I readily admit that I haven't read every post in this thread, but if
I could interject just one comment...

I'd rather carry a wad of dollar bills (filthy, bacteria-infested rags
as they are) in my purse than an equal (total) amount of coins.
Believe it or not, those halves and dollar coins are heavy! It's bad
enough carrying a few dollars' worth of quarters. Don't you guys have
a problem with this... all that heavy change banging around in your
pants pockets, weighing you down?

Anka ---- trying to avoid a dowager's hump

Old November 18th 03, 10:37 PM
DyzeeGF3

Same with dollar coins...I don't see why anyone should ever have over 4 of
them in their pockets (assuming they are circulated in all transactions, and
you are not someone who carries them around in an attempt to get others to
do just that). If you have 4 in your pocket, you can pay for all
transactions $4 and under. Anything between $4.01 and $4.99 will not give
you any dollar coins in change. If the payment is $7, then use a $5 bills
and 2 dollar coins...if payment is $12 and you only have a $20 bill...use
the 20 and 2 dollar coins so you get a 10 back. Not that difficult.

Old November 18th 03, 11:10 PM
Doug Freyburger

Ami . wrote:

I think it goes beyond usefulness. The Susan B. Anthony dollar is a
useful coin, but the public rejected it because of its design.

The public rejected the SBA because the paper dollar continued in
print. The lesson of Canada was simple. Stop printing the paper
and people will figure out that coins are more convenient. Keep
printing the paper and people will continue to *believe* that the
paper is more convenient and therefore continue to use it.

The SBA was a very obvious design blunder. Unbelievably dumb.
But it remains usable in spite of that. Both the Canadian Loonie
and the Sac fix its design flaws.
Old November 19th 03, 12:29 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:11:27 -0500, Bruce Remick
wrote:

For reasons already stated elsewhere. Not everyone has a credit card;
not everyone wants to use one.

Anyone who doesn't have a credit card or a checking account, and would
think nothing about carrying $500 in cash to do their shopping must be a
holdover from the old West. Is your mattress comfortable?

Immigrants rarely come here with checking accounts and credit cards.
They just want to get along like everyone else; and that may well mean
carrying hundreds in cash to do their shopping, register their kids in
community programs, buy tvs, etc.

Not sure what mattresses or the Old West have to do with anything.

As it is now, most clerks give a customer the once
over if they offer to pay for something with a couple hundreds.

Perhaps if the total bill is a couple grand or more. Heads aren't
turned for such small transactions as $200 or $500.

None of my business where you shop or what you shop for, but man you
just gotta join the rest of us in the 21st century.

I arrived in the 21st century at the same time every one else in this
time zone did.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

BU roll 2001D Half dollars [email protected] Coins 0 November 3rd 03 01:06 AM
1964 Kennedy half dollars????????? Tomk10 Coins 1 September 1st 03 09:33 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM
Barber half dollars Mr Bob Coins 1 July 12th 03 05:02 AM
Barber half dollars Mr Bob Coins 0 July 12th 03 04:13 AM