rec.collecting.books.moderated

Old December 14th 04, 07:57 PM

To Scot: Yes, I was referring to John's checking for collecting
interests in the publishers' catalogs of a (very) few other
items in his field.
To John Y-W: Yes my response to Bob Finnan was in joking reference to my
supposed Republican Party allegiance,
and I have been posting off and on since about 2000 just not lately.
Flaming hurts
my ulcer.... And
To Michael: No, it's not harder to quote via WEBTV. I just fell out of
the habit.
To all: Thanks for keepin me honest and
comprehensible.
--Dave Conford

Old December 14th 04, 09:29 PM
Bob

"John Yamamoto-Wilson"
To Bob F:
Please give me SOME credit.

A check of other posts in the thread shows that you are probably saying

this

when
I saw your comment I did not realise that and was merely mystified.

There goes Yammy cyber-stalking me again!
I tell you this demented creature has a sick obsession about me!
Get some help Yammy!

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Old December 15th 04, 01:43 AM
Bob

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote

I saw your comment I did not realise that and was merely mystified.

Yammy, you'd be mystified by a two piece jigsaw puzzle.
What's your problem anyway - penis envy?

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Old December 15th 04, 05:15 AM
William M. Klimon

wrote in message

John, that's excellent advice! But have
you ever simply "dropped in" to the
publisher's warehouse? Some small
and some not so small outfits have little
retail outlets, unadvertised, attached. I've
picked up some lovely items heavilly
discounted at the Dover warehouse store
which is about a half hour's drive from my home.

I once tracked down the owner of the defunct Landfall Press of Dayton, Ohio,
at his retirement home in Florida. He directed me to some folks in
Cincinnati who still had a number of copies of the book I was looking for.
I bought nearly a dozen copies from them at under retail.

The University of Salzburg Press published an interesting series of English
literature studies which included some hard-to-find convert material. For
some reason, items from their backlist are very hard to find on the used
market. But I was able track down the professor who now runs the
reorganized and renamed press and was able to get the title I was looking
for at retail.

It's an old collecting trick to go back to the publisher (particularly if
the publisher is any kind of nonprofit entity--a government agency, an
historical society, a university press, a church press)--one often can get
at list price what has skyrocketed in cost on the secondary market.

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

Old December 15th 04, 06:43 AM
Book Mouse

If I may wax slightly self-important for a moment, I do believe one of
the reasons this group has gone downhill is that I stopped acting as
"Bad Cop" when I moved into my new house and changed ISPs several
months ago.

As many old-timers may remember, I used to post the "NO FS" message
quite frequently. I also warned every spammer about the FAQ, and
reported every repeat spammer to their ISP (and eBay, where
applicable). After a while, I got tired of warning idiots who tried to
argue back, dispensed with the warning entirely, and went into "silent
assassin" mode by reporting spammers upon the first offense (and many
persistant trolls upon subsequent offenses). I have no doubt that this
helped reduce the overall noise of the group.

Frankly. since the move I've been too busy to do all of that. I've been
selling books on TomFolio, through my website, and eBay. writing a lot
of paying non-fiction (including several reviews with Howard Waldrop on
Locus Online), and just generally not posting to Usenet. When you come
right down to it, Usenet Simply Isn't Important. At best it can be a
slightly more productive use of your time than watching TV or playing
video games. At it's worst it leaches time from doing actually
productive tasks.

But all that said, if someone creates rec.collecting.books.moderated, I
will agree to moderate it. I will be a kind and benevolent diety for
those who obey the FAQ, and a terrible god of wrath for those
transgress it...

And there I was, after extensive lurking - striving to learn the ins and
outs and sideways of the group - about to venture forth into my first
hope filled postings, only to discover that I would have to worry about
a 'silent assassin' who would be judging my every move and summarily
dropping the ISP blade without any attempt at correction, enlightenment,
or encouragement.

Noooo...a group that condones, indeed seems to encourage, the
inquisitional, is a bit too aggressive and heartless for a fallible
little creature such as myself.

No...I think not...

--

....no.