Kill the moth balls

Old December 15th 04, 11:41 PM
Richard Moriarty

Default Kill the moth balls

Hi all.
Had any luck killing the smell of moth balls?

I bought a copy of Greek and Roman naval warfa a study of strategy,
tactics, and ship design / William Ledyard for $35AUS from Global
Village Books.

The Abe ad mentioned 'spotting' so I asked about smells.

"No the book is not smelly" was the reply.

Came in the mail yesterday, the smell of moth balls made my eyes
water. I was stoned on naptha! Funny and informing part: moth balls,
in whatever quantity, do not disguise the smell of mould :-)

Maybe the person who sold the book has no sense of smell.

Anyhow, I thought if someone had a sure-fire for naptha extraction I'd
hang on to it (NF). I can live with, and attempt to kill the mould,
but the eye-watering thing is a deterrent when trying to read.

Otherwise it'll be my inaugural return! What a moment!
Thankyou,
Richard.
Old December 16th 04, 08:36 PM
Jon Meyers

"Richard Moriarty" wrote...

Had any luck killing the smell of moth balls?

My experience has been that the smell goes away by itself after not too
long--a few weeks perhaps, and you could probably shorten that by leaving
the book out with the pages fanned. Not helpful if you want to enjoy the
book right this minute. You might want to try some of the odor-removing
techniques listed in the FAQ: http://www.rcbfaq.com sections 4.10 & 4.11.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old December 16th 04, 10:07 PM

Thanks.
I got a reply from the bookseller who said that it was eucalyptus oil
and

"I use it
because is a natural anti-bug product. It did last to Canada once, the
smell I mean, but many booksellers use it on their books as a cleaner
and it soon disappears."

I'll give it some time and see.
I *am* in a hurry to read it. I should have just a new copy from the
Naval Institute for $44US inc. postage.

Regards,
Richard.