FA: 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-64 RD Oly..this one's for YOU

Old July 4th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default FA: 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-64 RD Oly..this one's for YOU

On Jul 4, 10:49 am, Ira wrote:
Steve wrote:

Nice coin Ira, and certainly worth 5 digit money; but if it weren't for the
doubling I think the graders would have seen the evidence of circulation.
This is a good example of maket grading. Thanks for sharing and I wish you
the best with the auction - that coin would fit in nicely with a high end
set.

Steve

I see no evidence of wear on that coin, Steve. As all uncs and circs
wre pulled out of the channels of commerce, you might say that ALL
show some circulation, but the criteria is
whether one can see wear under 7X magnification. If not, all grading
services will designate as uncirculated. That's trueof all coins, not
justLincoln cents. I've handled dozens of AU-55/58s of this date as
well as uncs, and the
AU-58s all show clear rub on cheek and jawbone, the highest points of
a Lincoln Cent. This doesn'tshow that rub.I don't believe the doubling
has anything to do with the designation of uncirculated.

Ira

That's impeccable logic (at least to your cult members' level of
ability to reason), but the coin is flawed with a bad spot. This type
of spot can easily get worse with the passage of time.

oly

Old July 4th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default O.K., so what about that spot Ira?

On Jul 4, 1:32 pm, "jim menning" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ps.com...

Ira threw down the gauntlet first, hoss. You can continue to lick his
toe jamb at your leisure.

It could be to absolutely no person's advantage or pleasure to pay
$13,400 for this one cent coin.

Well, I take that back. It would certainly be to Ira's advantage.

Cults never question their god until it's too late.

oly

You make no sense, and continue to avoid all logic. You are a true waste of
everyone's time here.

If I help to register any doubts in the infallibility of our local
Google groups godhead, IRA-WEH, the Great Oz, then I am satisfied with
my undoubtedly modest contribution to this forum.

oly

Old July 4th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Has Anyone SPOTTED Ira recently?

On Jul 4, 10:14 am, Jud wrote:
oly wrote:
Looks like Oz can (try) to dish it out, but he just can't take it.
Typical.

oly

Makes me think of the line from the movie Wizard of Oz... "Ignore that
man behind the curtain". Sounds like good advice!

Ira is the Great Oz, the man behind the curtain. I am just a curious
running little dog, like Toto.

oly

Old July 4th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

ps.com...
"oly" wrote in message

ps.com...

Ira threw down the gauntlet first, hoss. You can continue to lick his
toe jamb at your leisure.

It could be to absolutely no person's advantage or pleasure to pay
$13,400 for this one cent coin.

Well, I take that back. It would certainly be to Ira's advantage.

Cults never question their god until it's too late.

oly

You make no sense, and continue to avoid all logic. You are a true waste of
everyone's time here.

If I help to register any doubts in the infallibility of our local
Google groups godhead, IRA-WEH, the Great Oz, then I am satisfied with
my undoubtedly modest contribution to this forum.

oly

I see where you're coming from. You think this is a Google Group. No wonder you are
so immature. This is Usenet son.

Old July 4th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bland Allison[_2_]

"jim menning" exclaimed in
:

"oly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ira threw down the gauntlet first, hoss. You can continue to lick
his toe jamb at your leisure.

It could be to absolutely no person's advantage or pleasure to pay
$13,400 for this one cent coin.

Well, I take that back. It would certainly be to Ira's advantage.

Cults never question their god until it's too late.

oly

You make no sense, and continue to avoid all logic. You are a true
waste of everyone's time here.

Hey Jim,

If you don't respond to oly, most of us will never know that he posted.

--
BA

"Qui hic mixerit aut cacarit, habeat deos superos et inferos iratos."
Old July 4th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 4, 2:50 pm, "jim menning" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jul 4, 1:32 pm, "jim menning" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

oups.com...

Ira threw down the gauntlet first, hoss. You can continue to lick his
toe jamb at your leisure.

It could be to absolutely no person's advantage or pleasure to pay
$13,400 for this one cent coin.

Well, I take that back. It would certainly be to Ira's advantage.

Cults never question their god until it's too late.

oly

You make no sense, and continue to avoid all logic. You are a true waste of
everyone's time here.

If I help to register any doubts in the infallibility of our local
Google groups godhead, IRA-WEH, the Great Oz, then I am satisfied with
my undoubtedly modest contribution to this forum.

oly

I see where you're coming from. You think this is a Google Group. No wonder you are
so immature. This is Usenet son.- Hide quoted text -

Bland (banal, insipid and foolish too)- Ignorance is bliss. Buying a
$13,400 Lincoln Cent is stupidity, especially when there is a honking
big tin spot on the coin.

Or is it a tobacco spot?

oly

Old July 4th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

"Bland Allison" wrote in message

Hey Jim,

If you don't respond to oly, most of us will never know that he posted.

True. No reasoning with that self-appointed pest.

Enough said.

Old July 4th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

oly wrote:
On Jul 4, 10:49 am, Ira wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

Some spots Do get worse with time, but the spot has to be active. This
spot is flat and black, not green as you have posited,
and has no concentric ring around it. It is not active. If the coin is
kept in a cool dry environment and partiicularly if kept inan
Intercept Shield capsule, it will be stable.
I have some cents with spots like that in a safe deposit boxes at the
bank with an Intercept Shield capsule around the slab and in 7 years,
as long as Intercept Shiled has been marketed,
there have been no changes in the spot s nor have any new ones
presented themselves.

In addition, there have been no color changes in any of my red
Lincolns stored in the sme way. So as usual,
you know little of what you expound. It is amusing to see you make a
fool of yourself, Olson. I will give this, however. You apparently
know and understand French, while I do not. So you DIo have some
advantage in repling to Mr. Jaggers in a language I don't understand.
Knock yourself out.

Ira

Old July 4th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ira" wrote in message
ups.com...

oly wrote:
On Jul 4, 10:49 am, Ira wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

Bonjour, Ira, ça va? Et Madame, elle va bien?

[ahem]

I guess we all have our price points beyond which we won't, or can't, go.
Each of us has his opinions about what imperfections we won't, or can't,
tolerate. Our motivations for collecting, as well as the things we collect,
are diverse. Nevertheless, I hope that we can have love of numismatics as
our common ground. Whether we accept only PCGS MS-63 or better key coins or
are thrilled with the acquisition of a raw VG buffalo nickel to fill another
hole in our album, I'll wager that the pleasure quotient is approximately
the same. I love Ira coins. I love non-Ira coins. In a word, I love
coins! Wait, that was three words. Oh, well...

James

Old July 4th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jul 4, 5:13 pm, Ira wrote:
oly wrote:
On Jul 4, 10:49 am, Ira wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

Ira- Hide quoted text -

O.K. Oz, that's your expert OPINION on the pesky tin spot on that
Lincon Cent (and it looks blue-green in your photograph); and I freely
acknowledge your expertise; but why should anybody punt $13,400 to
find out if you're right? Thirteen thousand, four hundred dollars.
Fair amount of dough.

After all, it's just a damn penny, three grams of copper. A bronze
minor coin that is less than sixty years old. Really, what's the
point? Don't the downside risks far (far far far far far far) exceed
the upside potential?

If a dyed-in-the-wool U.S. collector has to have a '55 double die, why
wouldn't a brown strict extra fine, WITHOUT TIN SPOT, do just as
well? After you've bought that XF, the remainder of the cash
(probably $12,000 or more) could buy ten rather nice Saints in the
indispensible PCGS slabs, around a month of travel in Europe mostly
staying in three-star hotels and when you get home, some additional
good books for one's library.

Or you could just buy the XF, then add to some stuff to your pantry
and finally stash the remainder of ten thousand or more in the good
old woolen sock.

Any old economic wind that blows ill will take the wind out of the
sales of these pricey, less than really truly important modern United
States coins.

Sale on,

oly