Another ISP pulling Usenet plug.

Old April 20th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slor

Default Another ISP pulling Usenet plug.

Despite all prevention efforts, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote in
:

teranews.com has a small set up fee but otherwise is free and it
carries binary groups.

Unless you'll be doing a lot of binary grabbing (they have a 50MB/day
limit), I would definitely recommend Teranews. I've been with them since
before they started charging the set-up fee, but I would pay that if I had
to. Retention is generally very good, and reliability is pretty good as
well (they have hiccups here and there, but they're still my pick over any
of the free services I've tried).

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Old April 20th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

"Slor" wrote in message

Despite all prevention efforts, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote in
:

teranews.com has a small set up fee but otherwise is free and it
carries binary groups.

Unless you'll be doing a lot of binary grabbing (they have a 50MB/day
limit), I would definitely recommend Teranews. I've been with them since
before they started charging the set-up fee, but I would pay that if I had
to. Retention is generally very good, and reliability is pretty good as
well (they have hiccups here and there, but they're still my pick over any
of the free services I've tried).

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

Hello

In reading the postings, I hope this does not become
a trend to all Internet Service Providers. I am using
"Giganews" that is provided through EarthLink at this
time. You may try "Giganews" directly on the web
link shown below. I have no ideal what they would
charge. You could use Google, but there are some
limitations.

FYI -- I am still around. I work nights from 3;00pm
to 2:00am. It is nice to have a full time job. It will last
me until mid July. Unemployment has gone up here in
Arizona every month this year so far. It now stands
at 9.6 percent at the end of March 2010. It was 9.2
percent in January of 2010.

Old April 21st 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula[_2_]

Slor wrote in
:

Despite all prevention efforts, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote in
:

teranews.com has a small set up fee but otherwise is free and it
carries binary groups.

Unless you'll be doing a lot of binary grabbing (they have a
50MB/day limit), I would definitely recommend Teranews. I've been
with them since before they started charging the set-up fee, but I
would pay that if I had to. Retention is generally very good, and
reliability is pretty good as well (they have hiccups here and
there, but they're still my pick over any of the free services
I've tried).

Terranews has a setup fee. I started using AIOE, and that's totally
free. No binary groups, tho.

Eric Babula
Old April 21st 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
.. .
Slor wrote in
:

Despite all prevention efforts, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote in
:

teranews.com has a small set up fee but otherwise is free and it
carries binary groups.

Unless you'll be doing a lot of binary grabbing (they have a
50MB/day limit), I would definitely recommend Teranews. I've been
with them since before they started charging the set-up fee, but I
would pay that if I had to. Retention is generally very good, and
reliability is pretty good as well (they have hiccups here and
there, but they're still my pick over any of the free services
I've tried).

Terranews has a setup fee. I started using AIOE, and that's totally
free. No binary groups, tho.

Eric Babula

Sounds like a couple of the freebies mentioned will be worth a try.
Currently, I only follow rcc and one other genealogy group on Usenet, so my
needs are pretty basic. I can certainly live without binary groups and
can't see paying any fees for what I had been getting for free for a dozen
years or more. It's just that ever present "change" that this old person
will now have to get used to. I have two months.

Thanks, folks.

Old April 21st 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula[_2_]

"Bruce Remick" wrote in
:

[...]

Bruce -

Like I said, AIOE is working fine for me, and it's free. Which
genealogy group are you following? I used to follow a couple, too:
soc.genealogy, alt.genealogy. Have been away from usenet for a
while. Slowly coming back...maybe.
Old April 21st 10, 01:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

[...]

I think I'll try eternal-september, assuming I can navigate through the
proper newsreader client changes. A neighbor's 10-year-old may be able to
set me up. I can drive a car just fine, but I always rely on someone else
to help set the points and adjust the gonkulator.

I have followed alt.genealogy for a number of years, but it's become pretty
bland lately and I may just ignore it in the future. Otherwise, I will
continue to spend money on various genealogy research subscription sites.

Old April 21st 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Bruce Remick wrote:

[...]

You were paying for it all along.

You are still paying the same just getting less. It's called product
dowsing.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ng-sizes_N.htm

JAM
Old April 21st 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:

[...]

Okay. I know. I just refuse to be "dowsed" as long as there are other
options. See "luggage" "overhead" "Spirit".

Old May 3rd 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George[_2_]

Slor wrote:
Despite all prevention efforts, "Scurvy Dog"
wrote in
:

teranews.com has a small set up fee but otherwise is free and it
carries binary groups.

Unless you'll be doing a lot of binary grabbing (they have a 50MB/day
limit), I would definitely recommend Teranews. I've been with them since
before they started charging the set-up fee, but I would pay that if I had
to. Retention is generally very good, and reliability is pretty good as
well (they have hiccups here and there, but they're still my pick over any
of the free services I've tried).

Speaking of retention they have over 160000 messages in this group that

On 10 Jun 2005 08:06:30 -0700, "Anka" wrote:

Zoooooooommmmmm!! Right over your head. Again.

That's right, over my head. I do believe in fact that the reverse is
the case. Think! LOL. Well, at least you didn't try to go "over my
head" by writing in a foreign language or by otherwise being cryptic
or allusive. The purpose of writing, after all, is to communicate, to
be understood. But you already know this, right?

Nothing changes with some "members". Guess who responded to Anka's post
above.

George

--
Government is a voracious monster that must have your labor to control
YOU! Your money is your liberty. The taxes you pay gently enslave you,