Akai 83D findings- stellar and overlooked !

Old December 28th 03, 06:20 PM
trippin2-8track

Default Akai 83D findings- stellar and overlooked !

All an 83D deck need to make it "honk", is the speed setting adjusted
inside the DC motor. I use a 90 second test tape specifically tooled
up for the purpose- it switches tracks every 1.5 minutes. Most decks
run about 2% fast if DC motored (changing at 88 seconds on the 90
second tape, timed with digital timer). Inside the motor is a small
screw, visible from an access hole on the side, up towards the top
pulley area (must be disassembled, but leave wires hooked up). Turn
counter-clockwise to slow it down, clockwise to speed it up. (thanks
Dan Jobin for info). I've just adjusted 2-83D's, the results
spectacular. Same time, spray speed adjusting points w/CRC cleaner,
bottom brush area WD40. 83D's are overlooked, for AC motored
80-81-82's. Just back-to-backed 83D and Wollensak 8050, used Pioneer
receiver w/2 monitor inputs, same tape, headphones. 83D kills Wolly in
fidelity- 83D has clearer, more precise sound- Wolly muddied up
midrange response, less separation/detail. 83D less background tape
noise than the early Akais...

#2, those cheapie AM/FM/8-track (no-name brand X) decks, that sell for
$5 or less, tons of them on ebay- those can be pirated for the small
Matsu****a DC motor, and will fit the AKai 83D motor housing.

83D has channel switch mechanism much more reliable than 80-81-82.
83D only has one head, and won't make "crackling" sound the extra
erase head creates in 80-81-82, with old tapes. (tracked down by Joe
N.- found graphite tape backing flaking onto tape, was slightly
conductive, made early Akai decks not switch tracks, crackle while
playing- archives)

Only sacrifice with 83D is stump-pulling huge AC motor of early
Akais...an 83D sure changes tracks nicer, NEVER crackles, and won't
ghost track like the 82D- 83D is more modern design- my original owner
83D came with invoice, dated 1978, cost $170 new. Time may well prove
the 83D is deck of choice- I'm beginning to be swayed !

Later dudes, back to Akai heaven... and Steppenwolf "REST IN PEACE"