A Penny for Mars: US Coin Riding NASA Rover to Red Planet

Old February 9th 12, 05:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Default A Penny for Mars: US Coin Riding NASA Rover to Red Planet

How many errors can you find in this article?

http://www.space.com/14512-mars-penn...y-cameras.html

JAM
Old February 9th 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 9, 11:19*am, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:
How many errors can you find in this article?

http://www.space.com/14512-mars-penn...y-cameras.html

JAM

Well, I would have thought that our non-numismatist NASA scientist and
engineer friends would have sent a copper-plated zinc cent (not penny,
of course) but maybe somebody did intentionally choose a more
chemically-stable bronze (not copper, of course) cent. Maybe, to help
ward off the rigors of the Martian environment. Also, the zinc cent
is lighter than the bronze by about 7/10ths of one gram, and
interplanetary travel is a game where every little bit of weight
counts. Maybe.

oly

Old February 9th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

wrote:
How many errors can you find in this article?

http://www.space.com/14512-mars-penn...y-cameras.html

JAM

Well, I would have thought that our non-numismatist NASA scientist and
engineer friends would have sent a copper-plated zinc cent (not penny,
of course) but maybe somebody did intentionally choose a more
chemically-stable bronze (not copper, of course) cent. Maybe, to help
ward off the rigors of the Martian environment. Also, the zinc cent
is lighter than the bronze by about 7/10ths of one gram, and
interplanetary travel is a game where every little bit of weight
counts. Maybe.

oly

Ya me too.

Not a penny and not copper.

JAM
Old February 9th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RAV

On 2/9/2012 5:31 PM, Frank Galikanokus wrote:
oly wrote:

On Feb 9, 11:19 am, Frank
wrote:
How many errors can you find in this article?

http://www.space.com/14512-mars-penn...y-cameras.html

JAM

Well, I would have thought that our non-numismatist NASA scientist and
engineer friends would have sent a copper-plated zinc cent (not penny,
of course) but maybe somebody did intentionally choose a more
chemically-stable bronze (not copper, of course) cent. Maybe, to help
ward off the rigors of the Martian environment. Also, the zinc cent
is lighter than the bronze by about 7/10ths of one gram, and
interplanetary travel is a game where every little bit of weight
counts. Maybe.

oly

Ya me too.

Not a penny and not copper.

JAM

The 1909 VDB was 95% copper, right? Technically bronze.
Old February 10th 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

wrote:
How many errors can you find in this article?

http://www.space.com/14512-mars-penn...y-cameras.html

JAM

Well, I would have thought that our non-numismatist NASA scientist and
engineer friends would have sent a copper-plated zinc cent (not penny,
of course) but maybe somebody did intentionally choose a more
chemically-stable bronze (not copper, of course) cent. Maybe, to help
ward off the rigors of the Martian environment. Also, the zinc cent
is lighter than the bronze by about 7/10ths of one gram, and
interplanetary travel is a game where every little bit of weight
counts. Maybe.

oly

Ya me too.

Not a penny and not copper.

It's apparently a damaged coin as well ... From the article:

# The initials ("VDB") of the coin's designer -- Victor David Brenner --
# are etched onto the coin's reverse.

On all the VDB's I sell, the initials are raised, not incuse ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics email:
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old February 10th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 9, 6:31*pm, Ken Barr wrote:

wrote:
[...]

408-272-3247 * * * * * NEXT SHOW: San Jose Coin Club Jan 27 - 29 (table 200)- Hide quoted text -

Well, gee, a bunch more article way down on the page (I hate how they
display pages on the internet). Bronze it is. It might just last
until some human gets there to pick it up. Maybe.

oly