Are Hero fountain pens good quality?

Old August 9th 03, 06:08 PM
Nancy Handy

Default Are Hero fountain pens good quality?

wrote:
I'm just getting back into writing with a fountain pen
I'd really like some gorgeous pens--but the Montegrappa for instance..
What I like are things like the Montegrappa Romeo and Juliet pens, their
dragone, and the Hero pens (Pandas, dragon and phoenix) seem very nice.

Also if there are other lines that have "art" pens like these, for less
than $100 each, I'd like to hear about it.

I think you might like the Dani snake pens. They are large, fairly
inexpensive, and carved with snakes. Check with Art Brown, FPH, and
some of our onliners for them.

Nancy
Old August 11th 03, 02:26 AM
John

quality of Hero pens. I just took a Hero 329 (Parker 51 knockoff)
out of my desk drawer -- I remember leaving it there MONTHS ago.
Wrote the first time. For a $5 fountain pen, not a bad deal. Be
aware that their nib sizes run extra fine: I use mine for editing and
margin annotations. But you can pick up one in NYC's Chinatown
district (I go to Pearl River at the corner of Canal and Broadway).
If NY is not in your plans, lots of wonderful raves about Norman Haase
and his site www.hisnibs.com -- same pen will cost you $10, but you
get great service and dealing with him is worth the extra few bucks.

Good luck.
Old August 11th 03, 06:28 AM
Nancy Handy

Dik F. Liu wrote:

Pearl River in NYC had the 329 for $4.50 a pop. Pearl River also have Hero ink
for $1.50 a bottle.

By the way, Pearl River is now on Broadway, near Prince street.

Dik, I go to Kate's Paperie on Broadway at Prince street whenever I get
the chance. I never saw Pearl River. Where is it from Kate's? Is it
on the ground level or is it a hidden treasure like Berliner?

Nancy
Old August 11th 03, 08:21 AM
Karen Traviss

Agreed - best editing pen in Creation, and also from Norman's emporium. Nice
fine-but-dense line and you can leave it uncapped while you're pondering an
edit and it still writes first time. Oh, and even PR Sherwood Green rinses
out of the sac without staining. (Small point, but it impressed the hell out
of me.)

Cheers
KT

Upcoming books : CITY OF PEARL (HarperCollins/Eos) March 2004 - available on
pre-order from Amazon now.
Short fiction now in October Realms of Fantasy - STRINGS
http://www.karentraviss.com

om...

Old August 11th 03, 11:49 AM
DovR

OK very cheap pens. In China Hong Kong literally dime a dozen. By the time
they reach US prices multiplied manyfold, but still reasonably cheap.

I was frankly disappointed by the pen and the man who touts them. But kept
one for my son which he does not use (it's hard as nails nib so good for
carbon copiets and ok looking) . Barely succeeded in giving the two cheapos
away as gifts. They look tinny and cheap. For about same price you can get
Waterman Phileas, close out Sheaffer's, vintage Parkers. Why don't you go
that route iso Hero's. Just my 2c for what it's worth.

Here they are quite a lot higher.
wrote in message
I'm just getting back into writing with a fountain pen (I used fountain
pens all through Jr. High and High School) and I'd really like some
gorgeous pens--but the Montegrappa for instance are way out of my league.
What I like are things like the Montegrappa Romeo and Juliet pens, their
dragone, and the Hero pens (Pandas, dragon and phoenix) seem very nice.
But are they good quality? I don't expect top of the line for under $20,
but they should be at least sturdy enough to stand up to use, the quality
of engraving should be decent, the nibs should write well and stand up to
use. Any word on the Hero?

Also if there are other lines that have "art" pens like these, for less
than $100 each, I'd like to hear about it. Well, I might go $200 for
something really outstanding.

--
kettir at| "Catnip mice taste good.
softhome |That's why I bite their heads off.

Old August 11th 03, 01:03 PM
sgw

I've bought several 329s and 330s from Ray at Wood 'n Dreams, who has
excellent and very fast service; the pens are about the best cheap pens
around,
I think. I have a little pouch I keep in my book bag, with 6 Hero 329s, all
inked
in different colors, and use these for making comments on student papers,
writing lists during the day (have to do a to-do list constantly since I'm
starting
to have CRS alot), etc. I've given 2 or 3 away to students who've seen me
writing with a fountain pen and wanted to know just how to do it; think I've
converted (nudge, nudge) some people! (Incidentally, these take much longer
to dry out with the cap off than most pens, making them extremely useful to
those of us who write, have a thought, have to remember what it was, and
then
have to write it down before we forget it!)

Sally

om...