Laban Mento

Old October 2nd 05, 02:02 PM
Nellie Paris

Default Laban Mento

This is a gorgeous pen, and I know that Laban's nibs, while not flex,
are nice and smooth and somehow more responsive than some. If you
have the Mento, what color did you choose? I plan to get one for my
birthday but am having a hard time choosing between the brighters
colors such as Pumpkin Seed and Celebration Red. I know that pictures
sometimes don't do the finishes justice.

Nellie Paris
Old October 13th 05, 04:44 AM
Norman Haase

Hi Nellie,

I have the Pumpkin Seed, and it's a really spectacular-looking pen. This is
a *very* large pen by the way.

Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com
Blog: http://hisnibs.blogspot.com

Old October 14th 05, 03:40 AM
Nellie Paris

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 03:44:28 GMT, "Norman Haase"
wrote:

I have the Pumpkin Seed, and it's a really spectacular-looking pen. This is
a *very* large pen by the way.

I think that is the best looking one, btw. How standard are the nib
sizes? Is the medium a true medium? Do you write with it regularly
or just keep it aside to look at? :-)

Cheers, Nellie
---
Nellie Paris
Old October 24th 05, 03:00 AM
Norman Haase

Hi Nellie,

As you can see, I haven't checked this group for awhile G. I'd say the nib
sizes run pretty true to the average (recognizing that there really are no
standards).

I don't use mine very regularly, as I've been on a 'mini pen' kick this past
year -- and the Mento definitely doesn't fit into that category!

Old October 27th 05, 02:43 PM
Nellie Paris

What minis are you into? Do you like the Laban minis? I have one,
but the cap seemed to corrode inside, and the nib dries out quickly in
the cap. One of the best minis I have is a Pilot Birdie.

Nellie Paris

Old October 27th 05, 10:58 PM
Adrian Lawrie

I have a number of the Mento's, all purchased in England. All of them have
the nib drying out problem.

I find this most irritating. It is just bad design and/or manufacture and
considering how much work goes into the rest of the pen, very foolish as far
as future sales are concerned, a pretty pen that does not work, is worse
than and ugly pen that does work, junk, just expensive pretty junk.

What I have found is that an all metal/silver Laban pen does not have this
problem, it does have the same nib but a smaller diameter section. The
only difference I can find is that the cap on the metal Laban is "air
tight", however, the Mento's all have a hole in the cap and I can't find the
@#£%& hole to block it up, in order to prevent the drying out of the nib.

Any guidance and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Adrian.

Old November 1st 05, 08:30 PM
Norman Haase

Hi Nellie,

Well, I'm actually partial to the ones I carry G, such as:

The DUKE Mini Torpedo
http://www.hisnibs.com/mini_torpedo.htm

The Monteverde Sonata:
http://www.hisnibs.com/sonata.htm

I'm also playing with the Pilot Petit 1, which I'm considering adding to the
website.

Regards,

Norman Haase
His Nibs.com
www.hisnibs.com
Blog: http://hisnibs.blogspot.com

"Nellie Paris" wrote in message
What minis are you into?

Old November 2nd 05, 04:52 AM
Nellie Paris

Wow, I did not know about the Duke Mini Torpedo. And I didn't realize
that the Sonata was that small. It looks big! Looking forward to the
petite Pilot.

Nellie