Trying to understand "D N" on Theodosius coin

Old July 3rd 03, 04:01 AM
Ankaaz

Default Trying to understand "D N" on Theodosius coin

Curtis Hoffmann wrote:

"I have an AE 4, of Theodosius I. It matches Sear 4188. I'm trying to
decypher the text, and the 'D N' part of 'D N THEODOSIVS' has me stumped? Any
ideas? Thanks."

If the entire obverse legend is DN THEODOSIVS PF AUG, it means Dominus Noster
Theodosius Felix Augustus, or in English: Our Master, Pius Happy and August
Theodosius.

HTH

Anka Z
Co-president of the once thriving, but now defunct, Tommy John Fan Club.
Go, Lake County Captains!

Old July 3rd 03, 04:17 AM
Brad

I have an AE 4, of Theodosius I. It matches Sear 4188. I'm trying to
decypher the text, and the "D N" part of "D N THEODOSIVS" has me
stumped? Any ideas? Thanks.

Doug Smith's excellent site has a page on abbreviations
at http://www.ancientcoinmarket.com/ds/abbreviation/1.html
DN is near the bottom. "Dominus Noster" if you want the short
answer, but he has more information.

Brad
http://www.blarg.net/~brad/coins.htm
Old July 3rd 03, 04:30 AM
Ankaaz

Leo wrote:

"Further, the Eastern Orthodox and Catholics would recognize it as 'Our
Father', the opening of the Lord's Prayer in Latin."

The Lord's Prayer in Latin opens with "Pater noster..." I doubt that the
coin's inscription has the meaning "Our Father," as in Heavenly Father, but
secular Lord and Master, yes.

Old July 3rd 03, 04:40 AM
Curtis Hoffmann

Thanks for the fast responses! Looks like "Dominus Noster" it is.

Curtis Hoffmann
Three Steps Over the Edge
http://home.austin.rr.com/tsote/index.html