Ink flow

Old September 26th 04, 01:57 AM
Bluesea

"Paul G" wrote in message
. net...
Have to make this comment here...
I so often read of flow problems or issues that are "solved" by using
Quink.
True, using a watery ink will allow it to flow thru the feed better, but
I'd look for the cause of the poor flow issue first. The joys of writing
with a nice rich ink are missed when there's a feed flow problem. Inks
like Aurora Black, and Pelikan Brilliant black give a nice added
smoothness to the nib.

But, that depends on the pen.

I don't know about Aurora, but Pelikan anything generally isn't as smooth in
my favorite pens (Namiki Falcons, Parker Sonnets, etc., although I didn't
even bother to try Pelikan in my Phileas after the included Waterman
cartridges were empty) as Parker or Sheaffer or Noodler's. As a result,
after my Pelikan bottles are empty, I'm planning to not repurchase except
for the violet and maybe the blue-black only because I like the shades.

--
~~Bluesea~~Noodler's Black Roolz!

Old September 27th 04, 12:37 AM
Paul G

While I have no experience with Noodler's ink, Quink is thin, and
Sheaffer is even thinner. If the 4001 Pelikan is heavier, and the flow
in these pens light, then of course there will not be a smoothness.
Yes, it does depend on the pen, and the feeds flow characteristics, but
a pen with a good flow should be able to handle any ink.

Regards,
Pelikanyo Paul

Old September 27th 04, 05:07 AM
G. L. Pease

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:06:35 -0700, Wendell wrote
(in message ) :

I have a Aurora Ipsilon that I use daily. After a miserable
experience with cartridges, I switched to using the converter and Mont
Blanc's ink (available easily locally at the Beverly Center store).
So far so good, but, I've noticed that the pen gets successively
harder to write with unless I keep unscrewing the nib/base and forcing
ink into the tip (nib?) (don't know the terminology, sorry). If I do
that, it writes fine for half a page, before becoming hard to write
with again. I've cleaned the nib and it's fine, it just needs a
constant helping hand. I have to disassemble the pen to get to the
"plunger" screw, so, it's a PITA... Am I missing something obvious?

Have you soaked the nib and feed? My first thought is that the feed is
clogged. As ink comes out of the converter/cartridge, air has to go back
in, or a slight vacuum results, preventing proper flow. Soak the nib
overnight, then use the converter to flush water with a little detergent
through the nib and feed until it runs clear. Then, flush several times
with plain water to remove the detergent.

You didn't tell us what the miserable cartridge experience was; I'm
assuming it was different from the experience you're having with the
converter.

Mont Blank inks are not the easiest flowing inks around, in my
experience, but a good feed should perform okay with any modern ink. If
the flushing doesn't help, you might try a more free flowing ink. Some
have mentioned Parker's Quink, which is very free flowing, but not very
saturated, so if you like strong colours, it may disappoint. Waterman
inks have worked well for me in "finicky" pens, as have Pelikans's.

I do have an Ipsilon that is a trouble free pen, so I'm inclined to think
that it's something other than the design of the feed, though it is
important that the feed and the nib be aligned correctly. Make sure the
feed is centered.

Good luck,
Greg

--
Gregory Pease
G. L. Pease Tobaccos

The Briar and Leaf Chronicles: http://www.glpease.com/Chronicles
Read the latest - Aged, or just Old - Vintage Tobaccos and Cigars