Central Australia

Old September 23rd 04, 07:14 PM
A.E. Gelat

Default Central Australia

I know this not philatelic, or maybe it could be. Many years ago, I was
looking at a very old atlas, and saw on a map of Australia "Central
Australia, Territory". It occupied the southern half of the present
Northern territory. Since it no longer appears on current maps, I assume it
was merged with Northern Territory. Can anyone confirm this? A philatelic
tie would be a cover with "XXXX, Central Australia" A search in Google
brought many articles on central Australia as a region of Northern
Territory, but not of a separate Territory.

Tony

Old September 23rd 04, 09:50 PM
Alan Payne

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
I know this not philatelic, or maybe it could be. Many years ago, I was
looking at a very old atlas, and saw on a map of Australia "Central
Australia, Territory". It occupied the southern half of the present
Northern territory. Since it no longer appears on current maps, I assume
it
was merged with Northern Territory. Can anyone confirm this? A
philatelic
tie would be a cover with "XXXX, Central Australia" A search in Google
brought many articles on central Australia as a region of Northern
Territory, but not of a separate Territory.

Tony

Tony,

I've seen the same thing, this will give you an idea of the time frames.

In 1911 the Northern Territory and its police came under the control of
Commonwealth. For administration purposes the Territory was divided into
two zones, North Australia and Central Australia. This division meant that
there were two Commissioners of Police - one for the "Territory of the North
Australia" and one for the "Territory of Central Australia".
In 1931, the two Territories were amalgamated to become the Northern
Territory under the authority of a single Police Commissioner. Clive
William Graham, a police officer of long standing, was appointed as the
Commissioner on 1 July 1964, and the Force was administered as part of the
Commonwealth Public Service.

From http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/police/aboutus/history/

Note: Prior to 1911 the Norther Territory was under the control of South
Australia

Old September 23rd 04, 10:57 PM
A.E. Gelat

Thanks, Alan

Tony

"Alan Payne" Hiram P wrote in message

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
[...]

From
http://www.nt.gov.au/pfes/police/aboutus/history/

Note: Prior to 1911 the Norther Territory was under the control of South
Australia

Accountant Mix, Central & South America etc Kiloware LiHui Worldwide Stamps 0 October 24th 04 08:38 AM
Australia, Christmas and Cocos Island used 2003/2004 Miniature LiHui Worldwide Stamps 0 May 31st 04 05:42 AM
FS - 90/91 OPC L8TR Hockey 0 January 10th 04 05:15 AM
FS - 90/91 OPC L8TR Hockey 0 December 20th 03 01:21 AM
4 Sale - 90/91 OPC Dogger Hockey 0 November 16th 03 07:30 AM