Help a Rookie with obtaining coins

Old October 15th 03, 12:16 AM
Darren

Default Help a Rookie with obtaining coins

I am very new into collecting and I want to start out cheap. I know
that there are some companies out there like Littleton that sell
coins, but I can't see paying $5 for 4 quarters. If I were to look
for these quarters on my own, I could save some $4. However, I know
that Littleton's coins will be uncirculated. Therefore, if I was to
try to get some uncirculated (or some with no blemishes), where would
I go? I was thinking of going to my bank and asking for some, but
there may be a better way. Are there any secrets to getting good
coins for face value?
Thanks
Darren
Old October 15th 03, 12:34 AM
Stujoe

Darren spoke thusly...
I am very new into collecting and I want to start out cheap. I know
that there are some companies out there like Littleton that sell
coins, but I can't see paying $5 for 4 quarters. If I were to look
for these quarters on my own, I could save some $4. However, I know
that Littleton's coins will be uncirculated. Therefore, if I was to
try to get some uncirculated (or some with no blemishes), where would
I go? I was thinking of going to my bank and asking for some, but
there may be a better way. Are there any secrets to getting good
coins for face value?

Banks are about the only place I know to get good coins at face value.
Everyone else seems to want to make some profit on them. :-)

If you are looking for state quarters, ask your bank if they have any
rolls. Best luck would be that they have full rolls or the more recent
states. otherwise, you can search mixed rolls for nice coins.

--
Stu Miller
Visit the Virtual Coin Museum (over 100 displays):
Old October 15th 03, 05:35 PM
Coin Saver

From: Darren

if I was to try to get some uncirculated (or some with no blemishes), where

would I go?

You can buy a current set of Uncirculated coins from the US Mint (at
www.usmint.gov) or past sets through dealers or eBay.

Are there any secrets to getting good coins for face value?

Yes, but as a novice, the idea won't appeal; to you. 1) buy a copy of the
Cherrypickers Guide; 2) Buy a good magnifyer (more than 12X magnification);
3) go to your bank and buy coins by the box (example: quarters come in $500.oo
boxes, Nickels in $100.oo boxes, Cents in $25.oo boxes, and so forth). Search
the coins for your little "treasures". Re-roll the ones you don't need.

--- You will need to also buy or get coin sleeves to re-roll the ones you
don't keep, for return (I get mine at Wally World). HINT: do not return
(deposit) the searched coins to the same place you buy them from because
eventually you'll be re-searching coins you already searched.

Additionally, you may wish to obtain some 2X2 cardboard holders (with the
plastic windows) and a stapler, to protect the really good coins you find.
Also, using white cotton gloves while handling the coins is a good idea.

This ties up a lot of money and take up some decent chunks of time; but this is
how it's done by non-pros. If you don't want to mess with all that, you can
always just buy the coins you want, but for more than face value. Basically,
when you "buy retail", you're paying for someone else's time, effort, and
'investment'.

8-/
Coin Saver

Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Coin grading/authentication services -- periodic post Linda Coins 6 August 8th 03 06:25 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM