Merry Newtonmas!

Old December 17th 05, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Default Merry Newtonmas!

Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night;
God said, 'Let Newton be' and all was light.
Alexander Pope

Born on Christmas Day 1642, some biographers adjust his date forward
for the new calendar. However, December 25 remains the date others
prefer.

Biographers often gloss over his tenure as Warden and Master of the
Mint. Berlinski says unequivocally that these years are uninteresting.
However, they are THIRTY years of his life. In disguise, he pursued
counterfeiters in pubs and taverns - and as a justice of the peace, he
extracted confessions - though not through actual torture, of course...

And if you check the Wikipedia about Isaac Newton, you will find an
addendum about "Newtonmas." Like Newton versus Hooke, and Newton
versus Leibnitz, I am arguing for prior claim on this. I have been
sending out Newtonmas greetings for perhaps 20 years. It was always a
personal quirk which my friends accepted. I never thought that I would
have to defend a claim to the invention thereof.

In some years, some friends have received CONDER TOKENS. (Right now,
I happen to own D&H 1035a, D&H 1033 and D&H 750, all from Middlesex
1793, of course.) This year, I sent out uncirculated UK 1-pound notes
with Newton on the back.

In 2002, the American Numismatic Association granted me a Heath
Literary Award for my November 2001 article in THE NUMISMATIST, 'Sir
Isaac Newton: Warden and Master of the Mint."

OK, maybe I should have posted this for September 29 and called it
"Merry Michaelmas." But my own interest in my own work aside...

MERRY NEWTONMAS TO YOU!

Old December 17th 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

On 17 Dec 2005 11:13:51 -0800, "Mike Marotta" wrote:

[...]

IIRC there is a condor token with Isaac on one side and a beehive on the
reverse!

beekeep

Merry Newtonmas! Mike Marotta Coins 1 December 17th 05 10:21 PM
Merry Christmas ACPP! Nancy Handy Pens & Pencils 0 December 26th 04 05:40 AM
Merry Christmas Wyates9339 Coins 1 December 25th 03 04:32 PM
Merry Newtonmas Michael E. Marotta Coins 11 December 25th 03 12:20 AM
Merry Christmas dahoov2 Autographs 0 December 24th 03 03:48 PM