any value for fake cancels?

Old January 18th 05, 02:03 PM
gordon curry

Default any value for fake cancels?

I have a Hamburg 21 with a nice Hamburg cancel. I sent it in for expertizing
& came back as a fake cancel, along with the document saying so. Would this
stamp be of any value as a fake cancel?
A genuine one sells for around $1500.00. I want to sell it, but dont know
what to ask for it. Of course I would advertise it as a fake cancel along
with the certificate, as someone may want to fill a blank space in their
album. Then again, the experts could be wrong, & it may be genuine.
Gordon

Old January 18th 05, 02:35 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
gordon curry wrote:
I have a Hamburg 21 with a nice Hamburg cancel. I sent it in for expertizing
& came back as a fake cancel, along with the document saying so. Would this
stamp be of any value as a fake cancel?
A genuine one sells for around $1500.00. I want to sell it, but dont know
what to ask for it. Of course I would advertise it as a fake cancel along
with the certificate, as someone may want to fill a blank space in their
album. Then again, the experts could be wrong, & it may be genuine.
Gordon

Basically, it's a damaged unused copy of the stamp. So I would
expect it to be worth less than a undamaged copy of the stamp.

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old January 18th 05, 04:15 PM
John Mycroft

Fake cancels on Hamburg, usually consisting of a number of parallel black or
blue lines, are as common as muck (I know, I've got dozens of em). There is
little skill in creating the fake cancel so they don't even have that going
for them. Effectively, they are unused stamps with no gum that someone has
scribbled on - if you can get 10% of the cat value for a mint copy, you'll
be doing well unless you have a large number that you may be able to unload
as a "study group".

--
Cheers - John Mycroft
coryton_at_cobbsmill_dot_com

Old January 19th 05, 12:40 AM
Ada Prill

I wouldn't scrap it - the underlying stamp, if it is genuine, which I assume
it is since nothing to the contrary has been said, is a scarce stamp which
many of us would enjoy owning, even with a fake cancel, as long as we paid a
price reflecting its actual condition.

Ada

"Albumen" wrote in message
Scrap it. That's all you can do. Plus, it keeps it from going around again
and someone else getting burned.

Old January 19th 05, 11:52 PM
Albumen

View it as a writeoff. That's what is done in the USPCS in order to get
these fakes off the market. Let me think; fake herringbone cancels on US
#1s, fake Hilo cancels on US 1869s, fake Z grills. It's all scrap, the
residual value of the stamp isn't that much, unfortunately.

-a

--

Send Replies to:

. ..

"Albumen" wrote in message
Scrap it. That's all you can do. Plus, it keeps it from going around

again
and someone else getting burned.

Canada - Circular Cancels? amesh \(Mette\) General Discussion 14 October 7th 04 05:55 AM
Chinese Cancels On Old Hong Kong Stamps - Common? Mr. Tracy Barber General Discussion 16 October 2nd 04 05:53 PM
Q: Dutch cancels [email protected] General Discussion 2 November 26th 03 03:32 PM
Thimble cancels TC General Discussion 1 November 4th 03 05:05 PM
Mexican cancels Bjorn Bakken General Discussion 1 August 11th 03 10:57 AM