My latest Purchase *GLOAT*

Old November 3rd 04, 01:40 PM
/\\/\\ark

VERY nice. Congrats!

/\/\ark

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
news
Greetings!

It's bragging time!

Within the Liberty 5c series, there are three key coins: 1885, 1886, and

1912-S.
The 1885 and 1886 are fairly available in low grades, but by the time you

get to
XF they're decidedly tough and in Unc they're very rare indeed.

The 1912-S is a different story. There were only 238,000 minted and most

of them
went right into circulation. Few were saved in any grade. This coin is

very hard
to find, period.

The 1912-S has it's share of problems as well. In my notes, I place them

into
three groups.

The first group compromises almost all of the coins struck. These will be

weakly
struck, especially on the hair above the brow on the obverse and the corn

ears
on the reverse. This group will show little detail on the hair, no detail

at all
on the left corn ear and barely any detail on the right corn ear. Unc's

from
this group are likely to have a bluish tint and most of them came from one

hoard
of about 60 coins. These will typically have pretty nice surfaces.

The second group is about 7-10% of the survivors. These coins are much

better
struck, they will show some detail in the hair over the brow and good

detail on
the right corn ear. Still little or no detail on the left corn ear.

Surfaces are
typically good. No hoards known to me of this grouping.

The third group is less than 1% of the mintage, maybe only a few dozen

coins
ever produced. I've seen only two examples in my life. These coins are

fully
struck, even showing some detail on the left corn ear and full brow lines.
Surfaces were almost prooflike with no die flow lines at all. I think

these are
from either the first run where they struck the assay coins or the very

first
strikes from the production run that produced the second group. The first

one of
these I saw was offered RAW at a Central States show in Cincy several

years
back. I passed, simply because at the time I figured any 1912-S that was

well
struck was likely to be counterfeit. Then I saw one in a PCGS MS66 slab.

The raw
coin is still the most painful "one that got away" for me, no other

bothers me
as much as passing on that one.

As for MY 1912-S. It's from the second group and is fairly representative

of
that group. It's also an Ira coin and the photos are his. I only just made

the
last payment about 30 minutes ago, so I don't have it in hand yet. But I
couldn't wait to brag:

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1912sLibNicPCGS64.jpg

Bruce (Thanks, Ira. As always, it's a pleasure to do business with you!)

Old November 3rd 04, 03:23 PM
Jerry Dennis

(Cue Cartman)... I hate you guys, so much.

Seriously, congratulations on a beauty of a coin. Now, excuse me while I grab
a towel and clean up all of this droll I left all over the place.

Jerry

"Bruce Hickmott" bragging:

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:37:25 -0600, "Larry Louks" is
alleged
to have written:

"Bruce Hickmott" reports:
Greetings!

It's bragging time!

Let the fanfare begin! That's indeed a beauty, Bruce! I'm happy for you!!

Larry
'some you don't see that often'

Yep, I've had to wait weeks, paying Ira a little at a time. Every time I send
him money, I look at the photos again. It'll be wonderful to have the actual
coin in my hand. I'm still floating!

Bruce

Old November 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
Jeff Landon

How obnoxious. I've NEVER gloated after getting a coin from Ira. wink

Seriously, Bruce, nice coin! Ya don't have to love Liberty Nickels to be
envious of that one.

Congrats, now I guess it's my turn again. Just gotta convince the missus to
let me spend the money.

--Jeff (L.)

Old November 4th 04, 12:38 AM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:39:27 -0700, "Jeff Landon" is
alleged to have written:

How obnoxious. I've NEVER gloated after getting a coin from Ira. wink

I'm sorry, it's a character flaw that I must work harder to correct.

Seriously, Bruce, nice coin! Ya don't have to love Liberty Nickels to be
envious of that one.

No, but it helps. Wife's comment: "You paid $345. for that 1912 (A PCGS PR65),
this one isn't nearly as nice and the only difference is that little S. That's
an AWFULLY expensive S"

Congrats, now I guess it's my turn again. Just gotta convince the missus to
let me spend the money.

--Jeff (L.)

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission. :-)

Bruce

Old November 4th 04, 12:46 AM
Phil DeMayo

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

Wife's comment: "You paid $345. for that 1912 (A PCGS PR65),
this one isn't nearly as nice and the only difference is that little S.
That's
an AWFULLY expensive S"

Aaaah....just tell he that everybody likes a little "s" but nobody likes a
smart "s";-)

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old November 5th 04, 11:08 PM
Rick Thomas

That's indeed a nice coin, Bruce, as all Ira coins are. Ira
sold me a very nice PCGS MS-64 1912-S about three years ago
that might give yours a run for its money (might even be
MS-65 on a good day.) Check out a small copy of an Ira image
at my eBay aboutme page

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/numismaddict/

Larger image available via email on request!

Old November 6th 04, 02:24 AM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:08:17 -0500, Rick Thomas is
alleged to have written:

That's indeed a nice coin, Bruce, as all Ira coins are. Ira
sold me a very nice PCGS MS-64 1912-S about three years ago
that might give yours a run for its money (might even be
MS-65 on a good day.) Check out a small copy of an Ira image
at my eBay aboutme page

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/numismaddict/

Larger image available via email on request!

That's really nice looking, though I have to squint a bit. :-) i'd really love a
larger photo! please email it to boxturtle at woh.rr.com

Bruce

Old November 6th 04, 04:16 PM
Rick Thomas

Done! I definitely don't want to be responsible for
impairing your eyesight!

As I said in the message, I really thought it had a shot at
MS-65 and I seem to recall Ira feeling that it was close,
too. Oh well. Still a nice coin!

-- Rick

larger photo! please email it to boxturtle at woh.rr.com

Bruce