Random question

Old June 28th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andy[_3_]

Default Random question

Here's a bit of a 'random' question that I was just wondering about:

When you display your coins in the albums, do you have all coins facing the
same way (ie the obverse or the reverse always facing up)? Or do you
alternate them so that you don't have to look at the other side of the page
in order to see both sides of the coin?

Of course this applies to where there are multiple coins that are all the
same except for dates/mintmarks.

I personally have the denomination of the coin always facing up but I've
been wondering if it would be better to alternate.

Andy

Old June 28th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 28, 7:31*am, "Andy" wrote:
Here's a bit of a 'random' question that I was just wondering about:

When you display your coins in the albums, do you have all coins facing the
same way (ie the obverse or the reverse always facing up)? *Or do you
alternate them so that you don't have to look at the other side of the page
in order to see both sides of the coin?

Of course this applies to where there are multiple coins that are all the
same except for dates/mintmarks.

I personally have the denomination of the coin always facing up but I've
been wondering if it would be better to alternate.

Andy

Amazingly, I have three albums of new coins going (for the first time
in many years).

I have a Dansco Statehood quarters album for the "P" and "D"
circulation issues. I place the Washington face up on the "P" coin
and the state theme face up on the "D" coin.

I have a Whitman Statehood album that allows for one coin only.
That's easy - state theme up.

I have a Whitman Presidential album for the "P" and "D" issues. I put
George Washington "P" face up and the "D" with the SOL face up. All
the other coins are face up for both "P" and "D". Next year, I will
probably do Wm. Henry Harrison (at the start of the second page) the
same way I did George Washington.

Back when I had several old blue Whitman folders, everything was date
side up. But in retrospect, I might today place the second coin on
the first page/flap with the reverse side up. This would work
especially good for issues that formerly featured the mintmark on the
reverse.

However, this method could be problematic for Mercury dimes!!!

I find that with the date and mintmark on the edge of the dollars, it
is almost silly to have two exactly the same coins side by side in the
Presidential album - you can't see the distinguishing differences,
they are hidden.

Did you notice that the printed information in the Whitman
Presidential dollar album has almost every President's final year of
office incorrect? They have printed the election year, not the year
that the man left office. Of course, W.H. Harrison, Taylor, Lincoln,
Garfield, McKinley, Harding, FDR, JFK, and Nixon are correct.

oly
Old June 29th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:31:01 GMT, "Andy"
wrote:

Here's a bit of a 'random' question that I was just wondering about:

When you display your coins in the albums, do you have all coins facing the
same way (ie the obverse or the reverse always facing up)? Or do you
alternate them so that you don't have to look at the other side of the page
in order to see both sides of the coin?

Of course this applies to where there are multiple coins that are all the
same except for dates/mintmarks.

I personally have the denomination of the coin always facing up but I've
been wondering if it would be better to alternate.

The obvious, if somewhat random, answer is to saw all your coins in
half edgewise. This way you will not only be able to display fronts
and backs on one page, *but* you also save vast amounts of money not
having to buy two of each coin; plus you can display altogether
different coins on the flip side of page, thereby saving even more
money on album pages; *and*, if you're smart, you can put the halves
of two different coins in each 2x2, thus saving again. Once you do
this, you'll have all kinds of duplicate coins left over, which you
can sell off.

With all those savings, you'll be able to buy even more coins! Yay!

The non-smart-alecky answer is that I suspect most people display
heads on one side of the page and tails on the other. Two examples of
each coin, for heads and tails on each side, would be impressive
indeed!

Padraic

Andy

Old June 29th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

wrote:

[...]

That would work. And you could pair up combinations like a Mercury
Dime 1916 obverse and a 1918-D reverse making a 1916-D Mercury. You
probably should not try to sell it though.

A random roll of halves... MAJ A Coins 0 December 23rd 06 06:44 AM
Random thoughts and more Davanzo Autographs 15 December 16th 06 07:54 AM
Rowe 100A Cd Random Play Question Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 2 March 26th 06 03:30 AM
Some Random Observations Andy Coins 1 August 9th 05 02:16 AM
A random thought Dan C Autographs 5 April 3rd 04 04:47 AM