Greatest trade coin of all time

Old August 27th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Greatest trade coin of all time

On Aug 21, 7:06 am, Jorg Lueke wrote:

I think my problem is that I distinguish between free trade and
whatever it is that governments do. The turtles and the earlier owls
were likely used mainly for actual trade. The latter owls and the
Spanish pieces of eight were used to fund Empire. Naturally after the
government was down the coins kept going and were used in trade.

One of the primary uses of coinage since the inception of coinage has
been to fund empire building, from the inception of money, including
the empires of the Lydians, Babylonians, Athenians, Macedonians,
Romans, Byzantines ... the list goes on. Not all coin-producing
peoples of course grew strong enough to overpower other peoples and
begin the empire building process. Relatively few did. But throughout
history aiming for this by far has been the rule rather than the
exception.
Old August 27th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
[...]

The Spartans never issued any coins, a very interesting fact which just goes
to show............what I don't know. Billy

Old September 1st 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Aug 27, 5:17*pm, "note.boy" wrote:

The Spartans never issued any coins, a very interesting fact which just goes
to show............what I don't know. *Billy

The Spartans issued coins, only very late, relatively.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old September 1st 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
1787[_3_]

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On Aug 27, 5:17 pm, "note.boy" wrote:

The Spartans never issued any coins, a very interesting fact which
just goes to show............what I don't know. Billy

The Spartans issued coins, only very late, relatively.

Indeed, they are categorized as ancient Greek coins.

Here are a few from Lakonia at WildWinds:
http://tinyurl.com/SpartaWW

And some listed in the Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum project:
http://tinyurl.com/SpartaSNG

They are not abundant, but there are some that have been uncovered.

W.

Old September 2nd 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:08:05 -0700 (PDT), Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:51*pm, Padraic Brown wrote:

I've got some. A couple cut 2r coins. I have one cut 8r. As I recall,
the coin fair in Madrid had a lot of "treasure hunter" / metal
detector hoards: there were various cut coppers in with the mix of
worn coppers, jetons and the odd 19th century bronze 10c coins.
They're certainly out there for the finding.

Interesting. Is the cut eight reales piece Spanish or Spanish-
American? Is there enough detail to determine the date, mint, etc.?

When I get a chance to take a good look at the cut coins, I'll report
back!

Padraic
Old September 2nd 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 5:17 pm, "note.boy" wrote:

The Spartans never issued any coins, a very interesting fact which just
goes
to show............what I don't know. Billy

The Spartans issued coins, only very late, relatively.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Were they not issued in or from Sparta, by the Romans, rather than actually
issued by Spartans? Billy

Old September 3rd 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sep 2, 2:24*pm, "note.boy" wrote:

Were they not issued in or from Sparta, by the Romans, *rather than actually
issued by Spartans? *Billy

Greeks living in Sparta initiated coins coins while still independent,
though in not in as great a number as later under the Romans. But
Sparta resisted coinage for some centuries after they were adopted by
other Greeks.

Old September 3rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Sep 2, 7:12*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On Sep 2, 2:24*pm, "note.boy" wrote:

Were they not issued in or from Sparta, by the Romans, *rather than actually
issued by Spartans? *Billy

Greeks living in Sparta initiated coins coins while still independent,
though in not in as great a number as later under the Romans. But
Sparta resisted coinage for some centuries after they were adopted by
other Greeks.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

How did the Spartans do commerce? I'm not asking because I couldn't
guess what methods they might have used. But for an exact educational
answer. Do any of you know? Thanks for any help!
Old September 3rd 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sep 2, 7:38*pm, sgt23 wrote:

How did the Spartans do commerce? I'm not asking because I couldn't
guess what methods they might have used. But for an exact educational
answer. Do any of you know? Thanks for any help!

Barter.

I don't exactly know what you mean by "exact educational answer."
References to specific pages in books and journal articles? The
library is a really good place for that.

Old September 3rd 08, 09:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Sep 3, 12:35*am, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:38*pm, sgt23 wrote:

How did the Spartans do commerce? I'm not asking because I couldn't
guess what methods they might have used. But for an exact educational
answer. Do any of you know? Thanks for any help!

Barter.

I don't exactly know what you mean by "exact educational answer."
References to specific pages in books and journal articles? The
library is a really good place for that.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

I was thinking maybe someone here would know what they used to traded
with since they didn't have many coins. Plus its not that important,
so I'm thanks to the library suggestion.