World's largest coin

Old May 29th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Default World's largest coin

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message

Because paying buyer's premiums for bullion coins is normally
a losing game.

I refuse to pay a buyer's premium, ever. What a joke.

Old May 29th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:18:53 -0400, "Michael Benveniste"
wrote:

"Jud" wrote:

I believe that it was up for auction, and received no bids.

At least one of them was:
http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.a...=2409&lot=1258

Wonder why? 8-)

That answers my question about face value. One Million Dollars. Nice.
Wonder if the local convience store would have change?

It is a beautiful coin, but I suspect that if I ever buy a Maple Leaf
I'll have to settle for a 1/10th oz.

Old May 29th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
antoine gelat[_2_]

I associate the word "coin" to usable change. Something this large should
not be called a coin, but what?

Tony

"Iagos Fool" wrote in message
news
It is just under 268 troy pounds -- over 3200 troy ounces.

I'm going to go check my couch on the off chance that one fell out of
someone's pocket...

IF

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
For practical purposes .454 kg equals 1 lb.

2.2 lbs is very close to 1kg. (works out to be .9988 kg)

So 100kg/0.454kg = 220.26 pounds. Is that correct?

"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in message
m...
Hello

Not what you would call "pocket change".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2044410/World's-largest-coin.html

Only five examples of the pure gold "Canadian Maple Leaf",
weighing 100 kilograms and worth about a million pounds.

.

Old May 29th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Thu, 29 May 2008 12:49:30 -0500, "antoine gelat"
wrote:

I associate the word "coin" to usable change. Something this large should
not be called a coin, but what?

De gustibus.

Not every article that is a "coin" is usable change, and not
everything that has been "usable change" has been what we think of as
a coin.

Anyway, we all know the largest coins are the Yap Islands stone money.
Some of the Swedish plate dalers got pretty big, too, though nowhere
near as large as the Canadian example. And at least the plate dalers
circulated a bit!

Padraic

Tony

Old May 30th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Iagos Fool

"jeff" wrote in message
The 'COINS' on the Yap Island are much bigger and circulate.
This item while having a denomination, was never meant to circulate.
jeff

I believe that the Yap coins don't circulate in the normal sense. They
generally stay put while the owner changes.

IF

Old May 30th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 30 May 2008 00:58:51 -0700, "Iagos Fool"
wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message
The 'COINS' on the Yap Island are much bigger and circulate.
This item while having a denomination, was never meant to circulate.
jeff

I believe that the Yap coins don't circulate in the normal sense. They
generally stay put while the owner changes.

Rather like the vast amount of electronic money actually in
circulation...it's all just electrons. Physical money doesn't actually
move -- just the owner changes.

Padraic

IF

Old May 31st 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 29, 7:43�am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Nick Knight" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news.../2044410/World...

Only five examples of the pure gold "Canadian Maple Leaf",
weighing 100 kilograms and worth about a million pounds.

Wow. �That's huge ... I thought those Panama silver pieces I had awhile
back
were "the largest". �They were at least marked as legal tender tho, these
don't appear to be.

Sort of a stretch of the word "coin", IMO. �Does the fact that a piece of
bullion is round with a design make it a coin?

Interesting anyway. �I gave up Canadian coins awhile back. �Good thing, as
I'd hate to have to try to budget for this one!

Nick

Oy! � You should see the ALBUM!- Hide quoted text -

Album? What about the slab? After all, don't you want something like
that AUTHENTICATED?

Jerry
Old May 31st 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Fri, 30 May 2008 18:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Dennis
wrote:

Album? What about the slab? After all, don't you want something like
that AUTHENTICATED?

I bet if someone planned on loaning it to a museum they could get a
grading company to slab it for free. It would be good promotion.

Old June 2nd 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

Album? What about the slab? After all, don't you want something like
that AUTHENTICATED?

I bet if someone planned on loaning it to a museum they could get a
grading company to slab it for free. It would be good promotion.

I wonder if it would be classified as a proof. Imagine the embarrassment if
it rated only a PR67. Who would want it then?

Which coin show would you say is the best and/or largest?? [email protected] Coins 4 November 9th 06 01:35 PM
World's Largest Cataloged Archive: Original Jumbo Lobby Cards, 1930's-1980's Classics General 0 July 1st 04 02:55 AM
~~~~World's Largest Cataloged Archive: Original Jumbo Lobby Cards, 1930's-1980's Zelig General 0 April 16th 04 09:06 PM
Largest Gold Coin? Mat Coins 8 October 13th 03 12:48 AM
ANA is not the World's largest numismatic group oly2059 Coins 14 October 7th 03 02:06 AM