eBay: No More Retaliatory Feedback From Sellers

Old January 30th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

Default eBay: No More Retaliatory Feedback From Sellers

eBay has just announced a myriad of changes too numerous to list here
(I've included a link to the announcement below).

One of the most significant changes (for buyers) stems from the fact
that eBay has discovered that sellers leave negative feedback 8 times
more frequently than buyers. They understand that buyers are afraid of
receiving a retaliatory negative if they leave a negative.

Soooo....sellers will only be able to leave positive feedback....no
negatives.

There are a number of other feedback changes, changes for listing and
final value fees, changes for Power Sellers, a toughening of standards
to achieve Power Seller status, no charge for Gallery, etc.

Read about it here....the second article on the page (at the time of
this post) contained most of the changes: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801....08-01-29061132

Old January 30th 08, 10:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_6_]

Default No More Retaliatory Feedback From Sellers

? "Phil DeMayo" ?????? ??? ??????
eBay has just announced a myriad of changes too numerous to list here
(I've included a link to the announcement below).

One of the most significant changes (for buyers) stems from the fact
that eBay has discovered that sellers leave negative feedback 8 times
more frequently than buyers. They understand that buyers are afraid of
receiving a retaliatory negative if they leave a negative.

It was about time!

Old January 30th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
beekeep

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 00:50:13 -0800 (PST), Phil DeMayo wrote:

eBay has just announced a myriad of changes too numerous to list here
(I've included a link to the announcement below).

One of the most significant changes (for buyers) stems from the fact
that eBay has discovered that sellers leave negative feedback 8 times
more frequently than buyers. They understand that buyers are afraid of
receiving a retaliatory negative if they leave a negative.

Soooo....sellers will only be able to leave positive feedback....no
negatives.

There are a number of other feedback changes, changes for listing and
final value fees, changes for Power Sellers, a toughening of standards
to achieve Power Seller status, no charge for Gallery, etc.

Read about it here....the second article on the page (at the time of
this post) contained most of the changes: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801....08-01-29061132

I have to agree with Ebay on this one.

beekeep

Old January 30th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 01/30/2008
at 12:15 PM, (beekeep) said:

I have to agree with Ebay on this one.

This may increase the value of feedback a little, but it's also an
opportunity for buyers to "unleash". We'll see.

The more troubling part of all of this, to me, was the increase in fees.
I've recently sold a couple of collectible items and plotted them into my
"purchases" spreadsheet as being sold. To get the right price to record, I
subtracted the eBay listing and final value fees, and then the paypal fees.
I was quite surprised to see what these added up to, and how much smaller my
"selling price" looked after adjusting.

This was BEFORE the large final value fee increase (due 2/20).

8.25% of everything up to $25?? Yikes. And a smaller jump in fees after
that until $1000 (from memory)? Are they trying to get rid of low end
items, or what? Unless you're selling big-ticket things, this is going to
be felt big-time.

I have a pile of excess things - stamps and coins, that I've slowly been
selling; like a substantial collection of World Proof sets. I'm a big
procrastinator, and I hate to ship things. I think I may try to pick up my
selling effors before 2/20, but even at current fees, I've been wondering if
this is the right thing to do. Perhaps I'll go to the local dealer (who
does seem to sell some of the sets) and see how close to 50% Krause he will
come (lots of silver). If I'm paying 10-15% for the luxury of selling
piece-meal with eBay/Paypal (and doing tons of shipping), perhaps his price
will be attractive.

I know some here have declared that NOT accepting paypal is insane - it will
drop your final bid price significantly, but I wonder how much this compares
to what the fees end up tallying to. Perhaps it's again time to fiddle with
fixed-price web pages, trying to advertise in newsgroups and e-classifieds.
And preferring checks and money orders. I don't like working like a dealer,
but it could end up saving a ton of money.

Nick
Old January 30th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jan 30, 3:50*am, Phil DeMayo wrote:
eBay has just announced a myriad of changes too numerous to list here

Yes, I got that email this morning:

"Feedback Changes
Significant changes coming soon will increase buyer confidence and
showcase good sellers.
Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.
Positive repeat customer Feedback will count and Feedback more than 12
months old won't.
Negative and neutral Feedback left by the buyer will be removed for
transactions in which a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI)
or if the member is suspended."

Now, I wonder if they'll go back and clean up the old feedback?
Old January 30th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
eBay has just announced a myriad of changes too numerous to list here
(I've included a link to the announcement below).

One of the most significant changes (for buyers) stems from the fact
that eBay has discovered that sellers leave negative feedback 8 times
more frequently than buyers. They understand that buyers are afraid of
receiving a retaliatory negative if they leave a negative.

Soooo....sellers will only be able to leave positive feedback....no
negatives.

There are a number of other feedback changes, changes for listing and
final value fees, changes for Power Sellers, a toughening of standards
to achieve Power Seller status, no charge for Gallery, etc.

Read about it here....the second article on the page (at the time of
this post) contained most of the changes:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801....08-01-29061132

I like the Feedback change, but the other seller rate changes sort of
disguise a slight overall fee increase as a fee reduction. Mostly, it seems
like they did some shifting around of things. Lowering the submission fees
a bit and eliminating the gallery image fee, while raising the % they take
on the first $25 of sales. Considering the package as a whole, it looks
reasonable.

Old January 30th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

[...]

The one hole in this, is that bidders can now have fun bidding on crap they
are not going to pay for and suffer no permanent consequences for NPB, only
a temporary suspension. Also negatives from the past are now not factored.
I have had occasion in the past to cancel bids from negative feedback
bidders and then block them because I wanted to avoid problems. Now the
only thing you can do is block them with the NPB strikes.

Old January 30th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:38:45 -0500, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

I have a pile of excess things - stamps and coins, that I've slowly been
selling; like a substantial collection of World Proof sets. I'm a big
procrastinator, and I hate to ship things. I think I may try to pick up my
selling effors before 2/20, but even at current fees, I've been wondering if
this is the right thing to do. Perhaps I'll go to the local dealer (who
does seem to sell some of the sets) and see how close to 50% Krause he will
come (lots of silver). If I'm paying 10-15% for the luxury of selling
piece-meal with eBay/Paypal (and doing tons of shipping), perhaps his price
will be attractive.

Keep in mind that you are viewing this from the perspective of someone
who is selling items that can be sold off of eBay fairly easily. You
can sell on eBay or you can sell to a local dealer, at a show, or at a
coin club meeting.

Many of the items being sold on eBay could not be sold - from a
practical standpoint - if it wasn't for eBay. Even with higher fees,
something is better than nothing for these people.

I just sold an old Canon range finder film camera on eBay. I got
$9.95 (before fees) and one bid. My choices were to either pitch the
camera in the waste basket, give it to Goodwill, or accept whatever
the net was for a $9.95 sale. Something was better than nothing.

No way will I ever have a garage sale to move out the many small items
that are around the house that I no longer want. I don't like dealing
with the type of people who come to a garage sale.

I know some here have declared that NOT accepting paypal is insane - it will
drop your final bid price significantly, but I wonder how much this compares
to what the fees end up tallying to. Perhaps it's again time to fiddle with
fixed-price web pages, trying to advertise in newsgroups and e-classifieds.
And preferring checks and money orders. I don't like working like a dealer,
but it could end up saving a ton of money.

Same argument as above. If taking PayPal, and the incurring the
additional fee, makes it easier to sell that Canon...then I'm all for
it. The Canon, unlike a coin, has no intrinsic value that I can
expect to get.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 30th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jan 30, 10:33*am, Dan wrote:
How does a SELLER deal with non-paying, DEADBEAT buyers now?

By issuing a non-paying bidder strike against them.
I believe 3 strikes and your account is suspended.
I'm 100% behind this change in eBay's feedback system.
Honest sellers have nothing to fear from this.

This will cause an increase in non paying bidder abuse.

No, it won't.
It will, however, put shady sellers on the hot seat and make the whole
feedback system actually mean something.
Old January 30th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
In , on 01/30/2008
at 12:15 PM, (beekeep) said:

[...]

I would not be surprised to see a rush of listing before the massive final
fee increase kicks in. Billy