silver dollars

Old July 22nd 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Fannon

Default silver dollars

I have an 1848, 1874, and 1896 silver dollar, can anyone tell me the
approximate value of them, thanks, Bob

Old July 22nd 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"Robert Fannon" wrote in message
I have an 1848, 1874, and 1896 silver dollar, can anyone tell me the
approximate value of them, thanks, Bob

The condition of the coins makes all the difference in value, Bob. But even
in relatively poor condition, the two older coins may have a good bit of
value. The 1848 especially may be a nice one to have, worth several hundred
dollars. (Again, depending upon condition.) You can have a look here and
see if you can get an idea:

http://www.bestcoin.com/seated-and-trade-dollars.htm

Amistad

Old July 22nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

"Amistad" wrote in message
news
"Robert Fannon" wrote in message
I have an 1848, 1874, and 1896 silver dollar, can anyone tell me the
approximate value of them, thanks, Bob

The condition of the coins makes all the difference in value, Bob. But

even
in relatively poor condition, the two older coins may have a good bit of
value. The 1848 especially may be a nice one to have, worth several

hundred
dollars. (Again, depending upon condition.) You can have a look here and
see if you can get an idea:

http://www.bestcoin.com/seated-and-trade-dollars.htm

Amistad

Larry, the site you've referenced for pricing is a direct copy of PCGS's
price guide. I don't know if it is licensed from PCGS or not, so I'm not
saying there is any foul play here, but I think it needs to be pointed out
that it is identical to the PCGS guide.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.cht...ed_trade_dolla

John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old July 22nd 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 05:28:26 -0500, Robert Fannon wrote:
I have an 1848, 1874, and 1896 silver dollar, can anyone tell me the
approximate value of them, thanks, Bob

Others are handling the value part of the question, but whatever you do,
please don't polish 'em up or clean them in any way, that destroys the
value.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

Assuming they did not come from a sell in China.....

Old July 22nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"John Carney" provided a very important insight with:
Larry, the site you've referenced for pricing is a direct copy of PCGS's
price guide. I don't know if it is licensed from PCGS or not, so I'm not
saying there is any foul play here, but I think it needs to be pointed out
that it is identical to the PCGS guide.

Many thanks for jumping in with that, John. I did not realize that it is a
copy of the PCGS price guide and you can be sure that I will refrain from
posting that link in the future.

Amistad
'thankfully, we do indeed live and learn'

Old July 22nd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

"Amistad" wrote in message
"John Carney" provided a very important insight with:
Larry, the site you've referenced for pricing is a direct copy of PCGS's
price guide. I don't know if it is licensed from PCGS or not, so I'm not
saying there is any foul play here, but I think it needs to be pointed

out
that it is identical to the PCGS guide.

Many thanks for jumping in with that, John. I did not realize that it is a
copy of the PCGS price guide and you can be sure that I will refrain from
posting that link in the future.

Amistad
'thankfully, we do indeed live and learn'

Nothing wrong with it, my friend (I think....) but you might as well go with
the source.

John

Old July 22nd 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Sat, 22 Jul "John Carney" wrote:

Larry, the site you've referenced for pricing is a direct copy of PCGS's
price guide. I don't know if it is licensed from PCGS or not, so I'm not
saying there is any foul play here, but I think it needs to be pointed out
that it is identical to the PCGS guide.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.cht...ed_trade_dolla
John

John, I checked the source code (and you can check
to see if I am wrong), but there is very little alike in the
two sites, in fact, the pcgs site has reference links to
files of another company, and the link Larry gave
seems to be hand coded, which results in much
cleaner html code than an html editor provides.

Also, the pcgs site source has the author's
name all over it, and it looks to me like he uses
an html editor, and he would know if there is
a problem.

Just the fact that one line is reverse text white
on black makes them look alike, at least some of the
text entries are in completely fonts and colors.

I don't know if a price list can be copyrighted,
and in this case, at first glance, the source code does not
appear to look anywhere the same.

Joe Fischer

Old July 23rd 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.cht...ted_trade_doll

John

John, I checked the source code (and you can check
to see if I am wrong), but there is very little alike in the
two sites, in fact, the pcgs site has reference links to
files of another company, and the link Larry gave
seems to be hand coded, which results in much
cleaner html code than an html editor provides.

Also, the pcgs site source has the author's
name all over it, and it looks to me like he uses
an html editor, and he would know if there is
a problem.

Just the fact that one line is reverse text white
on black makes them look alike, at least some of the
text entries are in completely fonts and colors.

I don't know if a price list can be copyrighted,
and in this case, at first glance, the source code does not
appear to look anywhere the same.

Joe Fischer

Joe, the first thing that caught my eye was the similar layout. I then
started comparing prices across a few series. They were identical in every
single case I looked at. I also don't know if price list can be copywrited,
and again, I'm not saying anything nefarious is going on here, but it's 100%
clear that the price information from PCGS.com is being copied to that other
site.

John

Old July 23rd 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Sun, 23 Jul "John Carney" wrote:

Joe, the first thing that caught my eye was the similar layout.

Sure, similar, but not identical, copying the raw html
code would definitely be a copyright violation, but writing
new code, and using the same prices should not be a problem,
in fact having uniform prices might be encouraged, it is very
hard to prove how a price is arrived at.

I then
started comparing prices across a few series. They were identical in every
single case I looked at. I also don't know if price list can be copywrited,
and again, I'm not saying anything nefarious is going on here, but it's 100%
clear that the price information from PCGS.com is being copied to that other
site.
John

And I think the site you linked states that the price
list follows that of Coinfact something or other.

I think if there was a problem, the web site owner
would complain, if that doesn't rectify the situation and
copyright violation is alleged, a cease and desist letter
would be the next step.

I got a cease and desist letter asking for compensation
for use of the sequence of letters in half of a domain name,
I called the guy and suggested he didn't own the whole
alphabet, but told him I would "work around it", and
I simply stopped using the domain name.

It seems domain names are subject to trademark
law in the US in some cases, but in most cases it isn't
worth taking a chance on appearing in court, and even
possibly losing where even if there is no compensation
to be paid, the court and legal fees are not worth it.

The present copyright law is really confused,
originally a copyright notice had to appear with the
year first published, now nothing is required, the
protection starts as soon as the work is created,
and without a notice, on many things nobody
knows when the work was created, but in this
case, it would be obvious.

Joe Fischer I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. :-)